LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 447 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Hey, I'm hopeful that romn will improve dramatically, because the less uproar the better during the season. That said, I can't remember a team, any team with as much talent as has been assembled here. I do not believe that Trent would work this hard to assemble this talent and be satisfied with 3 yards and a cloud of dust be our gameplan with 3 all pro WRs, an all pro TE...plus a $120 Million QB. Trent won't let that happen. Because we can win into the playoffs running, but not win it all. With the additional talent we need equivalent Offensive Coaching, and top flite O playcalling. I agree with NC's comment, romn is on a short leash.

I had initially mentioned by end of year improvement, but NC is correct. If there is no improvement in quality of playcalling, (and not just the plays, but when and how they are called)...then 8 games in is probably closer than what I had predicted.

A team is no better than its weakest link. And right now, that happens to be our OC. If this were 3.5 yrs ago, no, I wouldn't say this. But we haven't seen in change in OC performance over that time with 2 QBs. So romn has his work cut out for him if he ends up staying here, IMO.
Roman isn't very aggressive his game plan is pretty easy to read. He doesn't adjust very well in games. This season with all the weapons on offense i see him being a little more aggressive but not much. My main problem with him is his red zone play calling it's pretty bad and has been since he came here. I want this year to be 7's in the red zone not 3's. Niners offense need to keep scoring they tend to relax with a lead allowing the other team to hang around instead of stepping on there throat and putting the game away those are the things i want to see fixed this season.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I agree, they really are and no doubt, Roman is most likely executing HarBo (Schemblacher)'s game day philosophy. That said, Roman's expertise is in the run game...not the passing game (clearly) and if he doesn't drastically improve in this area with development from CK and all of the personnel moves Baalke made, I just can't believe this FO would sit on their hands anymore (same exact pattern for 3.5 years under 2 QB's). Roman had less interviews this off season that the previous year. In short, don't be surprised if the contention between Harbaugh and Baalke was related to the offense (alleged) and we shouldn't dismiss the report that Harbaugh took over he play calling late last year. The point? Roman is on a short leash IMHO and we shouldn't be surprised by that. All that said, I hope the light bulb goes off for both HaRoman and they are genuine when they made public comments about evolving and opening up the offense...scrapping the offense from the past and reevaluating everything.

Here's to their (and our) success!

This. We'll never become the Patriots under Harbaugh but with a revamped WR core and another year of Kap's development, passing game needs to get better, evolve, and expand. And based on comments Roman has said himself a few weeks back, he agrees.

I wouldn't go that far. HaRoman pulled out all the stops again Green Bay and the playoff game against New Orleans several years ago. So, yeah, I think they have the ability to have a fast break offense. But I agree that for the most part, we will be a run first power running team.

Having said that, Trent has loaded this team with offensive passing talent, and I'll be majorly disappointed if we're dead last in the league in passing again.
^^^ I think we could be looking at a new OC by week 8 if we clearly haven't evolved the passing game...same route the Ravens took in their road to a Superbowl victory. And if so, Baalke's got him on speed dial already, no doubt, or in house already. And I have a feeling he'd be given full control over the offense, even over Harbaugh. It will be someone who can provide a clear foundation/system to be built upon/installed...quicker starts (maybe scripted plays), more QB-focused, gets the QB and WR/RB's involved early in the passing game, can play chess very well (one play to set up another, adjust to what defenses are doing in-game and at half time, etc.), much better designed plays esp. in the RZ, use of multiple weapons, creative, dynamic, etc.

That said, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves...yet.

Does anyone else think this "New Offense" of Roman's is actually a last ditch effort on Harbaugh's part to justify keeping Roman?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Jul 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
^^^ I think we could be looking at a new OC by week 8 if we clearly haven't evolved the passing game...same route the Ravens took in their road to a Superbowl victory. And if so, Baalke's got him on speed dial already, no doubt, or in house already. And I have a feeling he'd be given full control over the offense, even over Harbaugh. It will be someone who can provide a clear foundation/system to be built upon/installed...quicker starts (maybe scripted plays), more QB-focused, gets the QB and WR/RB's involved early in the passing game, can play chess very well (one play to set up another, adjust to what defenses are doing in-game and at half time, etc.), much better designed plays esp. in the RZ, use of multiple weapons, creative, dynamic, etc.

So, in your opinion NC, this "New Offense" of Roman's is actually a last ditch effort on Harbaugh's part to justify keeping Roman?

TBH, I have no idea what HaRoman's comments "truly" mean. We can all safely assume it means the plan is to become more dynamic overall...both in the run game (esp. in the playoffs) and the pass game. But I've never heard an OC say they were scrapping the offense from last year and starting anew. So what does that even mean? All this b/c we got a 3rd WR in Johnson and drafted Ellington and added Hyde and perhaps, Lattimore to the mix? I think everyone and their monther knows we HAVE to evolve and be much less predictable on offense. Period.

And I sort of feel Harbaugh and Roman made those comments early and on their own before the media started diving into that topic. That said, I also feel the FO has had "talks" with both after the season and Baalke went out and got the players to do just that...expand the offense and become more balanced and dynamic and much less predictable. What's the first thing they start working on? Red zone offense. They also bring in a QB guru who specializes in QB mechanics. McDonald gets all the reps with CK and now feels very comfortable with his passes. We bring in another 2 studs on the OL and the best RB in the draft who fits our style to a T. Heck, even Lloyd was brought in. Throw in the experience and maturity of CK now and all signs point to a much better offense in 2014 with ZERO excuses on the personnel side (even with a key injury here or there save for the QB, of course).

Soooo, if we continue with the same patterns on offense that we've seen the past 3 years, I have little doubt Baalke is pulling the plug on Roman even if Harbaugh is tied to his hip. Hopefully, we NEVER have to entertain that possibility but I bring that up to you all as a real possibility and I don't even know if Baalke would wait 8 games to do it TBH (esp. given how competitive the NFC West is).

So, in your opinion NC, this "New Offense" of Roman's is actually a last ditch effort on Harbaugh's part to justify keeping Roman?

TBH, I have no idea what HaRoman's comments "truly" mean. We can all safely assume it means the plan is to become more dynamic overall...both in the run game (esp. in the playoffs) and the pass game. But I've never heard an OC say they were scrapping the offense from last year and starting anew. So what does that even mean? All this b/c we got a 3rd WR in Johnson and drafted Ellington and added Hyde and perhaps, Lattimore to the mix? I think everyone and their monther knows we HAVE to evolve and be much less predictable on offense. Period.

And I sort of feel Harbaugh and Roman made those comments early and on their own before the media started diving into that topic. That said, I also feel the FO has had "talks" with both after the season and Baalke went out and got the players to do just that...expand the offense and become more balanced and dynamic and much less predictable. What's the first thing they start working on? Red zone offense. They also bring in a QB guru who specializes in QB mechanics. McDonald gets all the reps with CK and now feels very comfortable with his passes. We bring in another 2 studs on the OL and the best RB in the draft who fits our style to a T. Heck, even Lloyd was brought in. Throw in the experience and maturity of CK now and all signs point to a much better offense in 2014 with ZERO excuses on the personnel side (even with a key injury here or there save for the QB, of course).

Soooo, if we continue with the same patterns on offense that we've seen the past 3 years, I have little doubt Baalke is pulling the plug on Roman even if Harbaugh is tied to his hip. Hopefully, we NEVER have to entertain that possibility but I bring that up to you all as a real possibility and I don't even know if Baalke would wait 8 games to do it TBH (esp. given how competitive the NFC West is).

TBH I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen a "passing game consultant" added to the staff this last off season like Nolan did a few years back. In fact I would have applauded it as a sign that Harbaugh recognized that there was an issue and was taking steps to address it.
All we can do is hope that Haroman get their ish together and develop a plan of attack that fully utilizes the weapons they have available

TBH I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen a "passing game consultant" added to the staff this last off season like Nolan did a few years back. In fact I would have applauded it as a sign that Harbaugh recognized that there was an issue and was taking steps to address it.

Truth. Although adding one more voice to this system could make it that much more confusing. I liked the idea of Mangini a lot. Someone who could instantly spot what the defense was doing to cover our offense in-game and tell Roman and stay one step ahead. Like in the NFCCG when the Hawks spied CK and played the perimeters leaving the RB'S wide open in the flats. Attack the soft holes in the middle of the field with McDonald. Instead of pure vertical attacks, make them run and flip their hips chasing crossing routes all day as they were not prepared for that.
Want to see early & often how aggressive & willing to adjust his gameplan to how defenses are playing them.
Trent wants his job to be secure too. According to romn's own words, he was learning as he went. Ok, everybody is in that boat at some time. But this is yr 4, and Trent has spent Jed's money, and if it doesn't pan out because romn is still learning, well, that one is pretty easy to figure out. Trent is cutting romn no slack, and wants to see the personnel he has brought and bought here, via clever trades, great drafting, and good solid football appraisal. Ok, he has all the pieces. If romn falls short on OCing, is Trent really going to sit back on the sidelines and watch us go to another NFCC game, but no further? And this yr, SEA will be better also, so we have to be way better on O than last yr, and our running game was dam good. Passing game looked like we had a run play caller calling the passing plays. Hmmm. We did. After thinking about it today some, I don't see our passing game sputter along like last 3 years after 8 games. And if the passing game is just a dud, we lose a couple early ones...romn will do well to make it to midseason.(courtesy NC). My original thots of a year...Trent will have done some fixin' long before that.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/roman-discusses-loss-hunter-49ers-screen-game

He made some interesting points. Namely our OL personel being somewhat counter to what would be necessary to pull off successful screen plays and Kap's mobility.

Id like to read some posters perspective on this. Who did we pick up that would work if anyone at all?? What would need to change in Kap's game??

Thoughts??
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Did this guy lose or gain weight in the off season http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/roman-discusses-loss-hunter-49ers-screen-game...

He's looking like a (mini me) of DB http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/3/10/5492786/giants-free-agency-2014-giants-cutting-david-baas-report
Originally posted by LVJay:
Did this guy lose or gain weight in the off season http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/roman-discusses-loss-hunter-49ers-screen-game...

He's looking like a (mini me) of DB http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/3/10/5492786/giants-free-agency-2014-giants-cutting-david-baas-report

Must have switched from deep dish to thin crust. Good to see him finally eating healthy.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Must have switched from deep dish to thin crust. Good to see him finally eating healthy.

I also heard he went from four boxes of Twinkies down to just one...

Roman!
He said some interesting stuff.

1) Kilgore brings more athleticism to the position.

Might be better suited to run a screen than Goodwin. Although it should be noted Goodwin ran plenty of screens while he was with the Saints, and didn't have a problem with it. Maybe age sapped his mobility.

2) Kap's ability to run might actually hinder the screen game.

Reason being defenses are so concerned with him taking off for a big gain, they don't carelessly run back in coverage opening up running lanes. They keep their eyes in the backfield, which makes it easier/quicker to diagnose a screen.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone