There are 185 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
ha ha ha. click on the zone page and started reading the headline ticker. GR has accepted college head coach gig and the 49ers need to start a new search for OC. just then I realized it's the webzone's front page. oh how clever. you redcoats are comedians.
If only
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Can-Levis%C2%AE-Stadium-Help-49ers-Win-More-Games/ff8612eb-69b4-44ae-baa1-24b579f61128

How about elevators taking coaches down from the coaching booths to the floor level of the stadium in a moment's notice? Jim Harbaugh's coordinators, Vic Fangio and Greg Roman, can both say goodbye to their abbreviated half-time locker room visits that included a trek up and down Candlestick Park's lower-bowl staircases.

Greg Roman doesn't have to kill himself going up andown the f**king stairs anymore in-between halves!!!

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Can-Levis%C2%AE-Stadium-Help-49ers-Win-More-Games/ff8612eb-69b4-44ae-baa1-24b579f61128

How about elevators taking coaches down from the coaching booths to the floor level of the stadium in a moment's notice? Jim Harbaugh's coordinators, Vic Fangio and Greg Roman, can both say goodbye to their abbreviated half-time locker room visits that included a trek up and down Candlestick Park's lower-bowl staircases.

Greg Roman doesn't have to kill himself going up andown the f**king stairs anymore in-between halves!!!

Wait, I thought he just tipped the pizza boy extra to deliver the half time notes to the team? No?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no
Originally posted by cciowa:
no

But the offense was going to explode at the end of last season
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by cciowa:
no

But the offense was going to explode at the end of last season

the only explosion we had was bowmans knee.ck and gore willing us down the field vs the hawks on the last drive, gore playing with a busted finger and catching a huge fourth down pass we did in spite of roman. when gore and ck started to change plays in the huddles to plays that actually worked should have said something to someone in charge of the team
  • thl408
Ah yes, the blame Roman thread. I will now attempt to catch everyone up on the first 255 pages in several bullet points:

- No, Roman is not good
- Roman calls too many run plays.
- If Roman gave it to Gore 3 times in the SB, the defense makes a stand and the 49ers have their 6th.
- Roman is not creative
- Roman is a mad scientist and draws up too many bat s**t crazy plays like an option pitch to Ginn
- Roman runs a one read passing attack
- If the offense fails, it's because of Roman
- If the offense scores a TD, it's despite of Roman
- Roman eats a lot of nachos and twinkies.
Originally posted by thl408:
Ah yes, the blame Roman thread. I will now attempt to catch everyone up on the first 255 pages in several bullet points:

- No, Roman is not good
- If Roman gave it to Gore 3 times in the SB, the defense makes a stand and the 49ers have their 6th.
- Roman is not creative
- Roman is a mad scientist and draws up too many bat s**t crazy plays like an option pitch to Ginn

...and pizza! LOL

- No, Roman is not good
- Roman is not creative

I think roman takes way too much s**t (everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I'm not trying to change any minds, however I'm pretty sure thl and I have similar feelings on roman). While there are some aspects I wish he handled differently, he is an average to above average nfl OC with the potential to be a very good OC. Personally I loved the flavor of our offense during the 2011 season. However, the 10 game stretch (including playoffs) the offense had when kaep took over in 2012 was pretty amazing. We were averaging over 30 ppg, 390 ypg with a 230 pass 160 rush split. Had the defense not been hampered by Justins injury this offense would have been a Super Bowl winner. Granted the first 11 games in 2013 were below average, but when crabs came back the offense was producing at almost a top10 level--about 360 ypg with a 220 pass, 140 rush split.

Jeff hosler and jimmy raye are terrible nfl OCs, greg roman is not.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM ]

• thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:

- No, Roman is not good
- Roman is not creative

I think roman takes way too much s**t (everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I'm not trying to change any minds). While there are some aspects I wish he handled differently, he is an above average nfl OC with the potential to be a very good OC. Personally I loved the flavor of our offense during the 2011 season. However, the 10 game stretch (including playoffs) the offense had when kaep took over was pretty amazing. We were averaging over 30 ppg, 390 ypg with a 230 pass 160 rush split. Had the defense not been hampered by Justins injury this offense would have been a Super Bowl winner. Granted the first 11 games in 2013 were below average, but when crabs came back the offense was producing at almost a top10 level--about 360 ypg with a 220 pass, 140 rush split.

Thank you. I totally agree. He is not a top notch OC and has areas to improve, but he's also coming into his 4th year so the two main offensive coaches (Jim, Roman) are going through the learning curve. Anyway, there's going to be a lot of hatred spewed towards Roman in this thread, now that it's bumped again, and that's fine. I can't say or show anything that's going to change the minds of the Roman haters. They have their reasons.

I see what's going on with the offense and I see real offensive principles being utilized. He's not running a college theme offense. He's not running a one read passing attack. He's not uncreative. I'll stick to the other treads that rationally discusses the offense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:

- No, Roman is not good
- Roman is not creative

I think roman takes way too much s**t (everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I'm not trying to change any minds). While there are some aspects I wish he handled differently, he is an above average nfl OC with the potential to be a very good OC. Personally I loved the flavor of our offense during the 2011 season. However, the 10 game stretch (including playoffs) the offense had when kaep took over was pretty amazing. We were averaging over 30 ppg, 390 ypg with a 230 pass 160 rush split. Had the defense not been hampered by Justins injury this offense would have been a Super Bowl winner. Granted the first 11 games in 2013 were below average, but when crabs came back the offense was producing at almost a top10 level--about 360 ypg with a 220 pass, 140 rush split.

Thank you. I totally agree. He is not a top notch OC and has areas to improve, but he's also coming into his 4th year so the two main offensive coaches (Jim, Roman) are going through the learning curve. Anyway, there's going to be a lot of hatred spewed towards Roman in this thread, now that it's bumped again, and that's fine. I can't say or show anything that's going to change the minds of the Roman haters. They have their reasons.

I see what's going on with the offense and I see real offensive principles being utilized. He's not running a college theme offense. He's not running a one read passing attack. He's not uncreative. I'll stick to the other treads that rationally discusses the offense.
I think he can step his game up to another level. Afterall everybody says his run plays are creative enough. I don't see anything holding him back from some creative *pass* plays - other than lack of talent and a possible unfamiliarity with the passing game due to his coaching background. He just might be another Andy Reid without *Fat* in front of his name.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

he just gonna get even fatter now.
Thl, I appreciate your summarizing roman's faults...just saved me the time. I will say that you and JonnyDel have shown some very nice play calls by roman, and, admittedly, I was impressed. One thing missing from the scenario, however, is the relative game situation in which those plays were called.

Maybe that is misstated. IMO, Roman has not shown an ability to call plays where one play on first down sets up another on third down. Also his play rotation leaves a lot to be desired...specifically, in the RZ and esp on the Goal line. So not so much which play was called, but WHEN that play was called...and more often than not, WHEN that play was NOT CALLED. The idea of a run play caller and a pass play caller is so foreign to me that 3 yrs later I still can't comprehend it. Either you are a playcaller...or you aren't. There are few things JH has done that I don't care for. Splitting playcalling between pass play caller and run playcaller are examples of things that just seem irreconcilable. If you are a playcaller, ie the OC, or HC, then I would expect that person to call the plays. Splitting it up...well, it kind of gives you that icky bumpy playcalling that we have seen since the advent of roman. Sort of like an electrician who knows all the electrical theory but doesn't know how to fix a lamp.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
More 3 and 4 WR sets or bust. If we dont utilize Davis, Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Patton and Ellington I'll become a hockey fan. I hate hockey.
Share 49ersWebzone