There are 262 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Kap should have ran. Poor decision to go to an already covered Crabtree. Our QB coach needs to teach better. This has been an issue all year. Redzone offense
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by kray28:
That's the only thing I blame Kap for. It was not a bad call, it was poorly executed.

it was a bad call. we have too many weapons to force that play in that situation.
we have the entire playbook open it was not 4th down we had 2 timeouts.

you can run ANYTHING even a screen look at the coverage?

you run a screen against defenders running 10 yards deep off the snap? that could damn near be a touchdown.

He had two open guys...not a bad play call.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

It's a bad play call in that the coaches wanted Crabtree 1v1 on the outside with no safety over the top. Kap is coached to make that throw when he sees that coverage. It's a big mistake considering who the corner was and what his strengths are.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

It's a bad play call in that the coaches wanted Crabtree 1v1 on the outside with no safety over the top. Kap is coached to make that throw when he sees that coverage. It's a big mistake considering who the corner was and what his strengths are.

Agreed...very low percentage play there to the corner of the EZ from the 20 (about a 35 yard throw) AND CK had plenty of time to see that Sherman had that route well covered and was even ahead of Crabtree at the throw. If that was VD you have a chance with his speed to break open by that point but not Crabtree.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed...very low percentage play there to the corner of the EZ from the 20 (about a 35 yard throw) AND CK had plenty of time to see that Sherman had that route well covered and was even ahead of Crabtree at the throw. If that was VD you have a chance with his speed to break open by that point but not Crabtree.

Yup. Not excusing Kap on the play because he failed to recognize Sherman had excellent press technique and body positioning from the get go. He rode Crabtree all the way to the EZ. I wonder if Kap has even been coached to read the DBs positioning before throwing a fade, or if it's an automatic throw. We know the coaching staff likes to keep it simple for him.

Good point about the area of the field too. That's an extremely difficult throw to make over a 6'3 corner when space is limited. The ball has to be perfectly throw, even then Sherman is in position to make a play. Maybe if the ball is at mid-field, I take a shot at Sherman with no safety help. That way you can put the ball way out in front. But in the EZ, maybe Megatron makes that play, but not Crab.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:58 PM ]
Just another playcalling wtf moment by this staff when we were hitting great short to intermediate routes down the field, defense on it's heels and you throw a much lower percentage corner route 30 yards with best cb in football covering. plenty of time to blast that ball into the endzone with much higher percentage throws and or Kaps legs.
Also bad decision by Kap once again lasering in on one guy with Sherman guarding him no less, when another is open. May not grow up until window is almost shut. That is the worry here. this isn't the 80's. Clock is ticking.
Impossible throw basically deep in the corner 35 yards away with Sherman anywhere in the area. Maybe with Megatron u pull that off.Maybe

And see I put that on as a limitation of Kap then, because that's a robotic choice, if true. Seriously, is Kap going to throw the ball if Crab slips and Sherman is the only person standing? It amounts to the same thing.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by theduke85:
What does "AR" mean, NCommand?

Term coined a while back where plays are called in by Roman and company (5 others) and signed off by Harbaugh into CK. AR stands for Annointed Receiver. This AR is pre-determined "pre snap." There are two types...AR1 is where the non-AR's run "decoy" routes clearing space for the AR. AR2's are when the non-AR's physically "rub" or literally, "block" out defenders creating a sure path for the AR. It's essentially, a college-like offense leaving added focus on "execution" by all to help make the play work. It requires NO breaks in the chain or the entire play blows up. It's nice when the design works and it limits the focus for a young QB on one read only. But the downside is what we just saw (aside from lack of QB development in progression reads). If the defense is smart they can figure out the AR by the routes of the non-AR's (Green Bay INT) or hone in on the primary AR's (like Boldin/VD most of the year or in this case, Crabtree in the RZ where Seattle had underneath and deep coverage). DB's can watch the body language of CK, his eyes and if they are an aggressive, physical defense like the Ravens and Seattle, they can blow the entire play up from the line of scrimmage and forcing CK to ad lib more (run and throw on the run). Once Crabtree came back, it was much harder to determine who the AR would be though (Crabtree, Boldin or VD). This style of offense works much better with an athletic QB b/c if that read is covered, he can make something happen with his legs like we saw against Seattle/Carolina.
Wow, tremendous write-up -- thank you very much. Great info.

Seems like a very, very good chance that one of Roman/Tomsula goes to Cleveland, IMO.
Check down to Hunter would've gotten us inside the 5 yardline.. Timeout would've been called with about 20 seconds left and 1 TO remaining..
This team can't catch a break that's the bottom line.. Sherman jumped as high as he can and got his finger tips on the ball.. Thrown alittle harder that ball goes over the same leaping Sherman's head and into crabs hands for the game winning TD that would've sent me streaking around my block.. It's sickening.
A few of things about the last play:
1) Not a bad call if the QB is told..."Put it where only the WR can get the ball in the corner." If so, this is on CK.
2) 1st and ten at the 18..with more than 20 seconds on the clock...time for at least three plays...niners had time outs.
3) They ran a no huddle...to catch Seattle napping? Seemed an odd time to go no huddle but I had wanted more no huddle...so...

AR or not AR, that is the question:
1) Harbaugh played for Schembechler and studied under Al Davis so his experience is not necessarily broad offensively. Power running/vertical passing.
2) Clever run designs and few clever passing plays.
3) His own words...the play was designed to go to Crabtree all the way. Protecting a player or...?
4) Roman and Harbaugh are linked in this offense very strongly and neither should escape criticism.

And see I put that on as a limitation of Kap then, because that's a robotic choice, if true. Seriously, is Kap going to throw the ball if Crab slips and Sherman is the only person standing? It amounts to the same thing.

That's ridiculous dude. I know you're smarter than that. Obviously if Crab slips, the ball is not thrown.

I've never heard of a fade in the EZ that wasn't determined pre-snap. It's called when you recognize 1v1 coverage with no help over the top. Watch plays of fades in the EZ. The QB snaps the ball and immediately squares his shoulders for the throw. There is no time to scan the field. You have to decide before the snap.

The problem was the play call, and coaching Kap to make that throw based off coverage, but with no regards to the matchup. Crabtree is not winning a jump ball over Sherman. Maybe Boldin. Definitely Megatron, but he's not on the roster. Just a s**tty playcall.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Try to understand that a QB with inabilities forces a coordinator to have an inability to scheme fully. So you may see him call lame duck plays, but try to take the personnel into consideration.

Kap's not one of the greatest (has potential to be) and isn't very good (YET) at reading good defenses / schemes.

Roman is not a great offensive coordinator (PERIOD)!!

I honestly don't have any gripes with the way Roman called the game. The players lost this one.

Agreed....

Well please explain to me what was he supposed to do with a QB with such handicaps?

Look at the first down plays from the previous page and ask yourself...why does this team insist on calling Gore into a stacked D over and over again?

That's an issue with Roman and play calling I agree. But ask yourself if the Seahawks would call such defenses if Kaepernick had given them a reason to think that he can dissect their defense? It was safer to go with Gore than to put the game in the hands of our piece of QB, regardless to Seattle daring us to do so.

That's not the only issue. If you can't/won't come up with other reasons as to why he isn't all that great then, you definitely are a Roman apologist and therefore, this (your opinion/my opinion) conversation will go nowhere.

Maybe you haven't seen my other posts (ranting on Kaps mishaps/inabilities), but I will call it how it's seems / looks (just my opinion) on any player or coach of my favorite team. I don't think Kap is worth the big contract coming to him (not at the moment), but maybe he'll prove some of us wrong. He isn't great (yet)....

Both are at fault for different reasons...

I was under the impression that you were aware of the missed receivers, one read and run tendency, high school pocket awareness, lack of ball protection when running the ball or before contact, ignorance of the abilities of the players around him etc. If we are both football fluid these things need not be said. When looking at our offenses' philosophy objectively, I cannot put too much blame on Roman and be reasonable for doing so if his QB is this limited and lack so many essential abilities that a QB must have. Is that enough for you webzone judge?

No, absolutely not "enough"

And, after this post, you may have the last... since "this (your opinion/my opinion) conversation will go nowhere" and because (seemingly) it won't ever be "enough" for you, webzone dogmatist
Share 49ersWebzone