There are 187 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Can someone explain to me how Roman improved Kap's development from last year to this? I believe he regressed.

Roman isn't the qb coach
But he is OC. His offensive philosophy directly impacts qb's development. If the qb coach is not good enough then ask the HC for a different person.

The QB guru should be able to see a problem. And the philosophy has a 3 headed monster, Roman-Harbs-Chryst.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
When you got a young QB with talent like Kap, you gotta utilize him as well as the rest of your pieces. Kap is no Brady, Rodgers, Manning or Brees, but he's good enough to win the big one, but Roman needs to be consistent in putting him in the position to do so.

It's taking Kap more time to develop as a pure pocket passer than we would like, but Roman isn't helping much with some lame play-calling and inconsistencies. Someone's (very young) niece can probably beat Roman in a Chess match.
Originally posted by LVJay:
When you got a young QB with talent like Kap, you gotta utilize him as well as the rest of your pieces. Kap is no Brady, Rodgers, Manning or Brees, but he's good enough to win the big one, but Roman needs to be consistent in putting him in the position to do so.

It's taking Kap more time to develop as a pure pocket passer than we would like, but Roman isn't helping much with some lame play-calling and inconsistencies. Someone's (very young) niece can probably beat Roman in a Chess match.

Try to understand that a QB with inabilities forces a coordinator to have an inability to scheme fully. So you may see him call lame duck plays, but try to take the personnel into consideration.
I honestly don't have any gripes with the way Roman called the game. The players lost this one.
SF First Down Plays By Quarter

Q1

Gore 2 yards off left tackle

Gore 1 yard off left tackle

Kaepernick 17 yards right end

Gore -1 yard up middle

Q2

Kaepenick incomplete pass

Gore no gain off right guard

Kaepernick 58 yards off right tackle

Gore 2 yards off right guard

Kaepernick incomplete pass

Kaepernick kneel down

Q3

Gore -1 yard off left tackle

Gore 9 yards right end

Kaepernick 22 yards pass Crabtree

Kaepernick 22 yards left end

Kaepernick -8 sack-fumble

Gore no gain left tackle

Q4

Hunter 3 yards left end

Hunter 11 yards right tackle

Kaepernick intercepted

James no gain right end

Kaepernick 4 yards left tackle

Kaepernick 11 yards pass VD middle

Kaepernick intercepted

The stubborn insistence to run on first down is sickening...and ineffective. Gore has 8 first down runs for 12 yards. The only runs that worked were off end or around end.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:31 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Try to understand that a QB with inabilities forces a coordinator to have an inability to scheme fully. So you may see him call lame duck plays, but try to take the personnel into consideration.

Kap's not one of the greatest (has potential to be) and isn't very good (YET) at reading good defenses / schemes.

Roman is not a great offensive coordinator (PERIOD)!!

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I honestly don't have any gripes with the way Roman called the game. The players lost this one.

Agreed....
Can someone explain to me how Roman improved Kap's development from last year to this? I believe he regressed.

Roman isn't the qb coach
But he is OC. His offensive philosophy directly impacts qb's development. If the qb coach is not good enough then ask the HC for a different person.

The QB guru should be able to see a problem. And the philosophy has a 3 headed monster, Roman-Harbs-Chryst.

Huh?Did you summon me?

I blame Kaep. Three turnovers in three straight drives. Roman did not cause those. Although he did call a bad gameplan in the first half like he always does. Kaep will learn. Oh and f**k the refs. They really hurt us by not calling that roughing the kicker penalty..

Kap's not one of the greatest (has potential to be) and isn't very good (YET) at reading good defenses / schemes.

Agreed....

Well please explain to me what was he supposed to do with a QB with such handicaps?
1st play after aldon's play im going crab wide left 2 te gore in the backfield
seattle is gonna bring in beef and single high safety it.
im play action gore look at crab who is running vertical and vd who is on the opposite side..

earl thomas isnt fast enough to cover both.

one of them is 1v1 most likely vd

thats a touchdown
Well, if roman is gone, so is 30 percent of this staff. This staff is too talented not to be purged.

Agreed....

Well please explain to me what was he supposed to do with a QB with such handicaps?

Look at the first down plays from the previous page and ask yourself...why does this team insist on calling Gore into a stacked D over and over again?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Well, if roman is gone, so is 30 percent of this staff. This staff is too talented not to be purged.

True. If Roman goes, he will take other members of the staff with him. It always happens. Everyone wants a promotion.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agreed....

Look at the first down plays from the previous page and ask yourself...why does this team insist on calling Gore into a stacked D over and over again?

That's an issue with Roman and play calling I agree. But ask yourself if the Seahawks would call such defenses if Kaepernick had given them a reason to think that he can dissect their defense? It was safer to go with Gore than to put the game in the hands of our piece of QB, regardless to Seattle daring us to do so.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Though Kap pissed me off so much today I think we need an O Cord who realizes our best player on offense is our qb and not our Rb. Doesn't mean we can get big rush yards, but this offense isn't qb friendly enough. Getting passing yards is always like pulling teeth.
Originally posted by Antix:
Though Kap pissed me off so much today I think we need an O Cord who realizes our best player on offense is our qb and not our Rb. Doesn't mean we can get big rush yards, but this offense isn't qb friendly enough. Getting passing yards is always like pulling teeth.

So do you think that Roman doesn't call many QB friendly plays because of a disdain for passing yardage? If not, why would he dismiss a benefit that would get him closer to a championship?
Share 49ersWebzone