There are 194 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by buck:
The fumble cannot logically be attributed to Roman. In addition, to the Kaepernick's three turnovers, there was a huge breakdown on special teams. You can not put the special team breakdown on Roman.

If I remember correctly Boldin had two drops. Is Roman responsible for every mistake the team makes?

Mistakes, mistakes made on the field by players, killed us this game.

I agree that the team needs to drastically improve its passing game--that there are conceptual flaws in the passing scheme that need to be corrected.

Harbaugh has two years left on his contract--two years to make the corrections that are needed. I would like to see the corrections made.

If Roman is fired or Roman is kept, I do not care. I want to see a better developed passing game.

This is my wish as well, but I wonder if that will happen with Roman at OC. I keep wondering about the story detailing the way plays are called, using three different people...run, pass and Roman relaying the plays. Then Harbaugh can over rule. Seems a weird way to run an offense. And I want the passing game to be in sync...not hodge podge, willynilly, devel may care...whatever the hell it is now.

Harbaugh and company came into the league three years ago. They have done very well, but they clearly need to make adjustments.

In my estimation, it is their responsibility to make those adjustments.

Will they be able to do it? I have no idea. We will see.

Baalke needs to get us more and better depth at wide receiver. Again, we will see.

The players also need to make adjustments. Kaepernick needs to examine his game and focus some energy eliminating the turnovers. Aldon Smith needs to stay on course. In the last two, games there have been problems with hand off between Gore and Kaepernick. That miscommunication needs to be fixed. Again, we will see.

Fangio did make good adjustments in his work--so it can be done.

We are a dynasty if we could either fix Kap or find a QB that can get rid of the ball, make tight throws, and think under pressure.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Kap just confirmed very WR on that last play was an option.

what does that have to do with running a toss sweep pass with james? and everything else i spoke on.
the game didn't come down to 1 play.
there were so many opportunities

how do you run the same run play on 1st down every possession with the same player?

things like that.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
still at no point used the full arsenal
STILL at no point
lol
reverted to fake option plays
cute gadget plays
gone are the screens
stacked wr's
and everything else he fooled us into thinking he would continue to do

when the s**t was on the line
he folded.

this is the 2nd time.

But then you left out the part in which he said he was going to Crabtree no matter what.
Originally posted by LVJay:
I've seen this guy tear up a box of Twinkies and extra large pie of pizza in under 2 minutes, he's good!

On the game, though, he's not responsible for the turnovers; our D giving up 23 points; and the "13th man" (corrupt officials)...

he is responsible for not taking advantage.
i mean the defense came out got a sack fumble turnover the 1st play of the game and put us in the red zone
the 1st damn play of the game.

as the o.c. you go to the MONEY PLAYS and put that s**t in the end zone.

you don't get the ball then run the ball right up the middle with gore
then a little out route
then concede the field goal
that is not championship football
and that's why we don't have a championship.

you punch it in there. you win the damn game.

5 yards away no ring

1st possession 3 points.

what will it be next year?

1st year we couldn't even get a damn 1st down against the giants in the 4th and overtime

lol

It's good to see someone else not scared to see the HUGE flaw in the coaching. I also think needs a QB camp.
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on Jan 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM ]
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Roman needs to go.
He's good with run schemes, but bad with passing schemes/philosophy/play-calling.
Kap isn't perfect, but he pretty much carried us despite the play calling. He gave us a touchdown on one big scramble, and an incredible throw to Boldin. That's 14 points out of the 17 we scored. Kap also gave us a chance in the final drive, probably because Roman was pretty much out of the picture. The same thing has been happening all season where Kap has made plays where he wasn't supposed to. The only touchdown the Niners scored in the first two games against Seattle was a two-minute drill by Kap. Thus I don't know if Roman's play-calling led to any touchdowns in all three games vs. Seattle. That's pretty bad....

what does that have to do with running a toss sweep pass with james? and everything else i spoke on.

how do you run the same run play on 1st down every possession with the same player?

things like that.

Actually that last play killed us.

Gore wasn't running good, LMJ isn't an option, Dixon is slow, and Hunter hasn't been great. Facing a top D running isn't going to be easy...it wasn't. Kap made 3 errors, those errors cost us the game. The last drive was working until Kap decided to only throw to crabs...that's ego, not coaching.
Originally posted by Jd925:
Roman needs to go.
He's good with run schemes, but bad with passing schemes/philosophy/play-calling.
Kap isn't perfect, but he pretty much carried us despite the play calling. He gave us a touchdown on one big scramble, and an incredible throw to Boldin. That's 14 points out of the 17 we scored. Kap also gave us a chance in the final drive, probably because Roman was pretty much out of the picture. The same thing has been happening all season where Kap has made plays where he wasn't supposed to. The only touchdown the Niners scored in the first two games against Seattle was a two-minute drill by Kap. Thus I don't know if Roman's play-calling led to any touchdowns in all three games vs. Seattle. That's pretty bad....

Roman is hiding the incompetence of Kap. Roman is not off of the hook, but scheming for a QB that cannot make most throws complicates the game a bit.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
I've seen this guy tear up a box of Twinkies and extra large pie of pizza in under 2 minutes, he's good!

On the game, though, he's not responsible for the turnovers; our D giving up 23 points; and the "13th man" (corrupt officials)...

he is responsible for not taking advantage.
i mean the defense came out got a sack fumble turnover the 1st play of the game and put us in the red zone
the 1st damn play of the game.

as the o.c. you go to the MONEY PLAYS and put that s**t in the end zone.

you don't get the ball then run the ball right up the middle with gore
then a little out route
then concede the field goal
that is not championship football
and that's why we don't have a championship.

you punch it in there. you win the damn game.

5 yards away no ring

1st possession 3 points.

what will it be next year?

1st year we couldn't even get a damn 1st down against the giants in the 4th and overtime

lol

Don't get me wrong, bro, I'm with you on that. Although, he has done some good things and has shown that we can win with him... as long as our defense plays the way it does and Dawson's Foot.

Leave or stay, I'm okay with either. HOWEVER, if Harbs decides to go with him for another season, a lot has gotta change. I'm sick of the inconsistencies and lame play calling...

things like that.

Actually that last play killed us.

Gore wasn't running good, LMJ isn't an option, Dixon is slow, and Hunter hasn't been great. Facing a top D running isn't going to be easy...it wasn't. Kap made 3 errors, those errors cost us the game. The last drive was working until Kap decided to only throw to crabs...that's ego, not coaching.

Agree!!! And what is it with people that think that "one play can't decide a a game"? When Smith caught the int that decided the game. Before then, the game was wide open.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I don't care what Greg Roman apologists think. There were too many opportunities that were missed by this 49er offense to score points in this game. They just simply were not constantly in a position to win. This should not have been even close, just like the Carolina game. Sure Kap is responsible for his picks but don't even try to tell me on the first offensive series you have nothing ready to go up 7 after your D has just recovered a rare Wilson fumble. It WILL come down to one play if your missing all the other plays. Greg Roman doesn't help Kap. It's just that simple.

Can you tell me what could Roman do about an incompetent QB? I am not a Roman apologist as it think he is a liability also.

• Veteran
Can someone explain to me how Roman improved Kap's development from last year to this? I believe he regressed.
Originally posted by 190836:
Can someone explain to me how Roman improved Kap's development from last year to this? I believe he regressed.

Roman isn't the qb coach
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
I don't care what Greg Roman apologists think. There were too many opportunities that were missed by this 49er offense to score points in this game. They just simply were not constantly in a position to win. This should not have been even close, just like the Carolina game. Sure Kap is responsible for his picks but don't even try to tell me on the first offensive series you have nothing ready to go up 7 after your D has just recovered a rare Wilson fumble. It WILL come down to one play if your missing all the other plays. Greg Roman doesn't help Kap. It's just that simple.

Can you tell me what could Roman do about an incompetent QB? I am not a Roman apologist as it think he is a liability also.

Think you need to pump the brakes with the incompetent talk. Kap carried the offense all first half. He literally was the only threat. He made bad decisions in the end but if you think this team is even in position to win without him, I don't know what game you saw.

To answer your question, Roman could help by using the Seattle D's aggressiveness against them. Go back through this thread and read anything posted about screens, quick slants, and play action out of the I.

It's been a theme for three years. Defenses stack the box and crash the backfield yet no plays are ever called to exploit it. A good example is the Eagles. This offense has more weapons than the eagles offense,but they use their talent much more efficiently. That's on coaching.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 190836:

Roman isn't the qb coach
But he is OC. His offensive philosophy directly impacts qb's development. If the qb coach is not good enough then ask the HC for a different person.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:

Think you need to pump the brakes with the incompetent talk. Kap carried the offense all first half. He literally was the only threat. He made bad decisions in the end but if you think this team is even in position to win without him, I don't know what game you saw.

To answer your question, Roman could help by using the Seattle D's aggressiveness against them. Go back through this thread and read anything posted about screens, quick slants, and play action out of the I.

It's been a theme for three years. Defenses stack the box and crash the backfield yet no plays are ever called to exploit it. A good example is the Eagles. This offense has more weapons than the eagles offense,but they use their talent much more efficiently. That's on coaching.

First things first, his incompetence comes at the QB position. Going through progressions, making throws, accuracy, identifying coverages, blitzes etc. the plays he made in the first half were 80% RUNS! Meaning they were not predicated upon competence. You have to understand that his primary production must come from passing the ball in order for the 9ers to go any further.

And for goodness sake, please stop assessing the game based on what you do on Madden! Seattle rarely ever gives up huge gains on the screen game. THEY PLAY MAN TO MAN FROM LB TO SECONDARY!!! What does that mean? Whomever is your screen receiver will have a man lined up over them 8 times out of ten. And also add the fact that they are fast! Meaning if their puss rushers do fall for the screen their dlinemen recover fast on top of the LB's shooting the lanes. The Saints are one of the best screen teams in the league, the Seahawks fell for it ZERO times.

Show me one person on our offense that causes more concern as Shady McCoy? Then tell me why would you think that our offense should be able to do what ever the a Eagles are capable of doing? Please watch the game.
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone