LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
The NO game was BS calls

The Carolina game was just a weird low scoring game

The Indy game was a total brain fart. We were running great with Gore in the Third Quarter, got our super long drive TD and he immediately goes away from it instead of pounding it down their throats. Gore got 3 touches the rest of the game. THAT was, imo a huge brain fart.

SEA just wupped us

right. everyone can be criticized.
when he does good i say so. he doesn't get a cookie until we win the whole thing.

nobody gets one.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
-Q: The last two losses came against two really good defenses. What do you think the offense missed in those two games?

-KAEPERNICK: We didn't execute. That's what it comes down to.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/11/21/colin-kaepernick-media-session-theres-a-lot-of-things-this-offense-has-to-do-its-expected-of-us/

you could ask kap why didn't it rain today? and he'll say because we didn't execute.

it's a way to not give credit to the other team
and not throw a coach under the bus
and i love it.

but we don't have to do that. the panthers defense is really good but we did things that were working and then stopped.
and the saints defense isn't really good. we just didn't make adjustments when we should have and the red zone bug that's hurt us continuously hurt us again in those 2 games. especially the panthers.

Q: Did the Saints defense do anything specific against Vernon Davis in that game different than the way other teams play him?
-KAEPERNICK: Not different. They just gave him looks that weren't going to allow him to get down the field.

Sounds like he's giving the other team credit.

and again....

B/R: How can San Francisco's offense improve on third down?

CK: We have to execute better when we have the opportunities to make plays.

and again.....

What do you like most about the way you guys are playing?

"We're executing. When we have the opportunity we're making plays."

So when we win Kap says we're executing and when we loss he says we didn't execute.

Since I don't know Kap as much as you pretend to I'll just take his words at face value.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/12/inside-the-49ers/kaepernick-i-signed-a-contract-to-play-football-the-media-is-just-something-i-have-the-obligation-to-do/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1873898-br-interview-colin-kaepernick-dishes-on-49ers-offense-and-improvement-areas
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
He's good, he isn't great. He's not totally responsible for any of our losses, but a good deal of them can go on his shoulders (especially vs Colts and Panthers games).

I just wish he'd put together a masterpiece in the playoffs / vs CAWK suckers the way he puts way Hostess Twinkies and pizza
I think the way to go is to pass the ball on the outset right away to set up the run, everybody knows we can run and are gonna run, if somehow 3 straight pass plays were called to start a game and if a couple 1st downs were achieved on the opening drive, it makes a defense say oh oh we better be prepared to defend the balance run and pass, then build up a lead and play with a lead, then in the 2nd half use playaction to put the game away.
Adrian, Thl, not to press a point to hard, but our 4 losses all went to ELITE teams, all with great Ds, great coaches, great O's. I am beginning to see, thanks to jonnydel & Adrian, the wisdom and flat out cleverness of some of roman's games. Question remains, when the hair gets short, can roman do it , game plan and call plays, to beat the big boys? Yup we beat SEA, but their record is pretty stellar at C-link. With the unraveling of what roman has been doing, it has been interesting. But here's the $64,000 question: come time to make game plans, call plays in the playoffs, can roman do it or does he fold up like a wet tent in a hailstorm? Yes, I am feeling some better. But my questions are the ones that bug the hell out of me....like last 4 plays in the SB. HaRo showed it then. Like JH in the NFCC against NYG....he watched Coughlin tell his PRs to leave the ball alone in the wind, rain, and muck. JH didn't see that and KW had two accidental muffs....end of game. THAT is what I really am worried about with roman.

Lastly, there is something called halftime, and most great ELITE coaches come out with fixes after the half. Roman seems wedded to whatever he planned prior to gametime, come hell or high water. Has he learned to fix screw-ups in his plans at halftime? IF so he seems to be keeping it a closely guarded secret. So ok, roman isn't the doofus we thot. But can he show up when the chips are down in single elimination? THAT IS THE QUESTION.
Q: Did the Saints defense do anything specific against Vernon Davis in that game different than the way other teams play him?
-KAEPERNICK: Not different. They just gave him looks that weren't going to allow him to get down the field.

and again....

and again.....

So when we win Kap says we're executing and when we loss he says we didn't execute.

Since I don't know Kap as much as you pretend to I'll just take his words at face value.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/12/inside-the-49ers/kaepernick-i-signed-a-contract-to-play-football-the-media-is-just-something-i-have-the-obligation-to-do/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1873898-br-interview-colin-kaepernick-dishes-on-49ers-offense-and-improvement-areas

man you wasted a whole lot of time proving my point

if he's saying the same thing then maybe just maybe it's a standard answer and not in depth to anything else that's going on? lol

if both results give the same answer how can you hang your hat on one and not the other?

please don't quote me and dig up more executions answers either

or "he's a great player" or "(insert name here) did a good job today"

I don't know Kap I just have comprehension skills
and he says the same thing regardless of result.
if we win we executed better
if we don't we gotta execute better.

we're talking about the plan itself. we're talking about things that don't make sense to do that he has done and hopefully won't do again.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
-Q: The last two losses came against two really good defenses. What do you think the offense missed in those two games?

-KAEPERNICK: We didn't execute. That's what it comes down to.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/11/21/colin-kaepernick-media-session-theres-a-lot-of-things-this-offense-has-to-do-its-expected-of-us/

you could ask kap why didn't it rain today? and he'll say because we didn't execute.

it's a way to not give credit to the other team
and not throw a coach under the bus
and i love it.

but we don't have to do that. the panthers defense is really good but we did things that were working and then stopped.
and the saints defense isn't really good. we just didn't make adjustments when we should have and the red zone bug that's hurt us continuously hurt us again in those 2 games. especially the panthers.

and again....

and again.....

You do realize that "We didn't execute" is the high-brow way of saying "They didn't beat us. We beat ourselves." Which I distinctly remember many, many people on this board hating on other teams for saying those phrases.

The question about Vernon is the exact same thing.

PD: Did they do anything different?
CK: No, they just had coverages that didn't let him go deep

2 ways to interpret his response

Translation 1: No they didn't, they just had faster/stronger players that kept him from going down field (only way to explain 1 team doing the same thing but producing a different result)
Translation 2: Yes they used coverage that didn't allow VD to go downfield. (no competitive player wants to publicly admit that they failed)

Doesn't matter how you put it. Talking to media is just saying the bare minimum you can say without coming off like an a**hole, admitting you're a bad player/had a bad game, or flat out got outplayed by a better team.

Third down question
PD: How can you improve on third down?
CK: We have to execute better

Translation 1: We have to do a better job executing - word for word what he said. But again it can just mean that they got outplayed by the other players on the field
Translation 2: We didn't have the right plays called and couldn't audible to a good counter play. (Basically saying we need to "execute better" at anything from film study, play calling, reading the defense, beating our man after the snap. etc. which again is admitting failure.)

Way their playing
PD: What you like about the way you're playing now?
CK: We're executing, opportunity shows and we make plays

Translation 1: We're studying right, preparing right so we know exactly what and how to run (the on the surface response)
Translation 2: We outplayed our opponent in all phases (what a blunt person would say but you'd sound like an a**hole)

----

Talking to the media is an art. Fans and members of the press alike can twist their words into anything they want to hear, whether it sells the papers/link clicks or calms your nerves after a bad game.

"We didn't execute" is a sports cliche that if you take at face value is a completely hollow statement that doesn't provide any real explanation or answer. Players and coaches say these things to protect themselves and to not be jacka**es to their "colleagues" in the NFL. By saying what is PC and non-controversial you keep everything open when it comes to future employment, not angering the fans (in most cases), etc.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Adrian, Thl, not to press a point to hard, but our 4 losses all went to ELITE teams, all with great Ds, great coaches, great O's. I am beginning to see, thanks to jonnydel & Adrian, the wisdom and flat out cleverness of some of roman's games. Question remains, when the hair gets short, can roman do it , game plan and call plays, to beat the big boys? Yup we beat SEA, but their record is pretty stellar at C-link. With the unraveling of what roman has been doing, it has been interesting. But here's the $64,000 question: come time to make game plans, call plays in the playoffs, can roman do it or does he fold up like a wet tent in a hailstorm? Yes, I am feeling some better. But my questions are the ones that bug the hell out of me....like last 4 plays in the SB. HaRo showed it then. Like JH in the NFCC against NYG....he watched Coughlin tell his PRs to leave the ball alone in the wind, rain, and muck. JH didn't see that and KW had two accidental muffs....end of game. THAT is what I really am worried about with roman.

Lastly, there is something called halftime, and most great ELITE coaches come out with fixes after the half. Roman seems wedded to whatever he planned prior to gametime, come hell or high water. Has he learned to fix screw-ups in his plans at halftime? IF so he seems to be keeping it a closely guarded secret. So ok, roman isn't the doofus we thot. But can he show up when the chips are down in single elimination? THAT IS THE QUESTION.

well 1st. it becomes a "thing" about not beating elite teams or aren't capable of it but it's a myth.
we beat green bay full strength.

we lost to seattle.. they had 12 points in the 4th quarter.. 5 turnovers i don't care if you're playing the jags you're not going to win. and the last 2 times in seattle turned it over what like 8 times at least? including a blocked field goal for a td? you're not going to win that way.

the colts... roman decided to not do what we should have..which is run. the colts were the team to do it against and we didn't.. really seattle was too but that's a different story. it was 13-7 in the 4th and our 90 yard td drive came from running but we decided to not do it again.

look at the stats of these games.. wilson had what 149 yards 1td to lynch and 1int...
they rushed it 40 times and we didn't... in a close game..

look at the colts game luck didn't crack 200 yards.. they didnt have a 100 yard rusher and luck didn't throw a td pass...
do you see a pattern here?

panthers...newton didn't crack 200 yards didn't throw a td pass and they only scored on 2 possessions..

we scored on 3.

but the red zone bug BIT us again.

the saint's there were some calls missed but we still should have put up more points. red zone issues again.

the problem with roman was he didn't know what to do. he'd either get cute or stubborn and you can't be both.

but the offense has cost us all 4 games and in all 4 games we can look at the overall game plan and say.. why did we do this? you see?

now going forward hopefully that is behind us. and hopefully we can score td's in the red zone again.
and hopefully we can be as potent as we should have been all season crabs/manningham be damned

because we had hunter and gore so even if we didn't pass and ran people to death that would have been ok with me.

i have felt and still feel this is the year we put it all together.

we can pretend like roman hasn't done some inexplicable things..

or we can be adults, acknowledge it and then hope he's learned his lesson.. because if we're being honest.. the 1st time we lost 2 in a row we should have never lost 2 in a row the same way again.. but we did.

i am optimistic.

i just think roman has been trolling us this season. he has all of these plays he's hoarding. all these different types of sets and things and he's just been hoarding them and doing just enough to win basically to get to this point. which pisses me off but i'm ok.

take care of a win monday and get into the tournament and then unleash

it is no coincidence that when he expands the offense the production increases and when he shrinks it so does the stats.

kap has played bad and roman has coached bad.. and jim got scared against the panthers.. but I am not of the ilk who thought it was because "colin isn't intelligent enough" or "remedial" which is ALWAYS the case when a qb of color is invovled

meanwhile cutler and romo STILL throw dumb int's and make the wrong coverage reads and actually cost their teams games and their "intelligence" is never questioned lol
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I think the way to go is to pass the ball on the outset right away to set up the run, everybody knows we can run and are gonna run, if somehow 3 straight pass plays were called to start a game and if a couple 1st downs were achieved on the opening drive, it makes a defense say oh oh we better be prepared to defend the balance run and pass, then build up a lead and play with a lead, then in the 2nd half use playaction to put the game away.

i think we need to run when teams expect the run it's not running that's the problem its the type of runs.
if we line up like big boys and push them back we'll get it done. it's when we do dumb cute plays that effects the teams psyche.

when we run those tosses against the panthers and the saints who love to run side to side.. instead of punching them in the mouth..

or when they over commit and we still don't spread them out.. like the saints played seattle the exact same way they played us. seattle just said ok, we're going to pass against your 9 man fronts and torched them..we didn't even put options out there to really pass and still almost won.

like against the redskins..we decide to whip out the stretch runs against a team that has been practicing against the stretch run for 4 years now and then wonder why they don't work?

see what i mean?
Originally posted by sfout:
You do realize that "We didn't execute" is the high-brow way of saying "They didn't beat us. We beat ourselves." Which I distinctly remember many, many people on this board hating on other teams for saying those phrases.

The question about Vernon is the exact same thing.

PD: Did they do anything different?
CK: No, they just had coverages that didn't let him go deep

2 ways to interpret his response

Translation 1: No they didn't, they just had faster/stronger players that kept him from going down field (only way to explain 1 team doing the same thing but producing a different result)
Translation 2: Yes they used coverage that didn't allow VD to go downfield. (no competitive player wants to publicly admit that they failed)

Doesn't matter how you put it. Talking to media is just saying the bare minimum you can say without coming off like an a**hole, admitting you're a bad player/had a bad game, or flat out got outplayed by a better team.

Third down question
PD: How can you improve on third down?
CK: We have to execute better

Translation 1: We have to do a better job executing - word for word what he said. But again it can just mean that they got outplayed by the other players on the field
Translation 2: We didn't have the right plays called and couldn't audible to a good counter play. (Basically saying we need to "execute better" at anything from film study, play calling, reading the defense, beating our man after the snap. etc. which again is admitting failure.)

Way their playing
PD: What you like about the way you're playing now?
CK: We're executing, opportunity shows and we make plays

Translation 1: We're studying right, preparing right so we know exactly what and how to run (the on the surface response)
Translation 2: We outplayed our opponent in all phases (what a blunt person would say but you'd sound like an a**hole)

----

Talking to the media is an art. Fans and members of the press alike can twist their words into anything they want to hear, whether it sells the papers/link clicks or calms your nerves after a bad game.

"We didn't execute" is a sports cliche that if you take at face value is a completely hollow statement that doesn't provide any real explanation or answer. Players and coaches say these things to protect themselves and to not be jacka**es to their "colleagues" in the NFL. By saying what is PC and non-controversial you keep everything open when it comes to future employment, not angering the fans (in most cases), etc.
thank you.

he comes in and says kap says we didn't execute so roman isn't the culprit

lol

who is we?

exactly

No argument Adrian. Also kap does have to learn 4-6 yd 1-3 step drop passes this week. Inexcusable not to have that pass...which he has had in the past. Practice kap, practice. Additionally roman just has to get over not using the middle of the field up close. He refuses to do so and we are just giving 4-6 yds to the D when we don't go there. Lastly if we could ever develop a bubble screen or krap, any screen, we would be 10-20% better with all 3 of the above.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
No argument Adrian. Also kap does have to learn 4-6 yd 1-3 step drop passes this week. Inexcusable not to have that pass...which he has had in the past. Practice kap, practice. Additionally roman just has to get over not using the middle of the field up close. He refuses to do so and we are just giving 4-6 yds to the D when we don't go there. Lastly if we could ever develop a bubble screen or krap, any screen, we would be 10-20% better with all 3 of the above.

Kap has to continue to grow correct
my feeling is that Kap is unique and they don't know what to do.
It's a dilemma. When you have a player than can literally do everything what do you tell him to do?
We've run 4 different offenses in a 23 game span including the playoffs with him as the qb.. all of the information it takes to even run 2 is more than many of us could handle.. on the outside we're saying he's not doing this or that..some of it is correct but i don't speak in absolutes when dealing with kap.

if he doesn't do it, it's because he's not instructed to 80% of the time. the running lanes have been there the entire year.. you cannot convince me they instructed him not to run up until now.. cannot do it we know its true.

every time there's a roar about what he can't do, isn't it funny how they insert that into the offense and then he does it? is that not trolling?

he can't stay in the pocket.. he does
can't read progressions then they put them in and he does..
can't check down suddenly after not having check downs now he does and he hits them...
can't throw a touch pass suddenly makes several.
we can go on and on and on.
it's a dysfunctional hybrid offense. hopefully it becomes the elite hybrid i believe we can be.

stop run..pass
play pass man...kap runs
play pass zone..pick you apart...
crowd the box..play action bomb..

there's nothing you should be able to do.

and keep in mind..and yes im going to keep saying it WE STILL DON'T USE ALL OUR WEAPONS PROPERLY
Kap has to continue to grow correct
my feeling is that Kap is unique and they don't know what to do.
It's a dilemma. When you have a player than can literally do everything what do you tell him to do?
We've run 4 different offenses in a 23 game span including the playoffs with him as the qb.. all of the information it takes to even run 2 is more than many of us could handle.. on the outside we're saying he's not doing this or that..some of it is correct but i don't speak in absolutes when dealing with kap.

if he doesn't do it, it's because he's not instructed to 80% of the time. the running lanes have been there the entire year.. you cannot convince me they instructed him not to run up until now.. cannot do it we know its true.

every time there's a roar about what he can't do, isn't it funny how they insert that into the offense and then he does it? is that not trolling?

he can't stay in the pocket.. he does
can't read progressions then they put them in and he does..
can't check down suddenly after not having check downs now he does and he hits them...
can't throw a touch pass suddenly makes several.
we can go on and on and on.
it's a dysfunctional hybrid offense. hopefully it becomes the elite hybrid i believe we can be.

stop run..pass
play pass man...kap runs
play pass zone..pick you apart...
crowd the box..play action bomb..

there's nothing you should be able to do.

and keep in mind..and yes im going to keep saying it WE STILL DON'T USE ALL OUR WEAPONS PROPERLY

This seems like a very likely description of what's going on. It is also likely that CK's regression in throwing short passes is a result of inconsistent play calling...not calling short passes often enough to keep his game sharp.

I truly believe they need to do what the team did with Montana--drill the basics every off season so that he didn't have to think about the touch passes or drops or many other aspects of the offense. That's what CK needs because he has all the rest. But it's hard to tell a purebred to practice being a trotter! LOL...I can see the coaches being somewhat awkward about just what he should practice...Walsh would not be at all confused. I can't believe Harbaugh is either...perplexing!

As far as using all there weapons...just don't understand it unless practice hasn't gone well with various guys--James, Patton, McDonald...
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This seems like a very likely description of what's going on. It is also likely that CK's regression in throwing short passes is a result of inconsistent play calling...not calling short passes often enough to keep his game sharp.

I truly believe they need to do what the team did with Montana--drill the basics every off season so that he didn't have to think about the touch passes or drops or many other aspects of the offense. That's what CK needs because he has all the rest. But it's hard to tell a purebred to practice being a trotter! LOL...I can see the coaches being somewhat awkward about just what he should practice...Walsh would not be at all confused. I can't believe Harbaugh is either...perplexing!

As far as using all there weapons...just don't understand it unless practice hasn't gone well with various guys--James, Patton, McDonald...

its constantly on display. as soon as someone says he can't.. he does..
i honestly think they're afraid.

as far as weapons go, this team doesn't do the rookie thing. james wouldn't have played last year if hunter didn't tear his acl.
hunter and james barely get the snaps they need. patton doesn't get chances badlwin couldn't get time over williams. they spent this season making macdonald an elite blocker which is cool but he's here for catching passes which he did well at his college.

i just think we're going to get it all going starting monday. don't ask me why.. i just do.

as far as kap goes
they could literally game plan anything every week and he can go out and do it.
but it's hard to key in on things.
it's like grocery shopping every week and you forget a few things on the list..

ok execute the hard count, hand off, pitch, option read, play action, check down, intermediate, shot play, screen pass, bootleg and ar route....

they won't EVER do it

but they could just run a different type of offense every series.. lol there aren't any other qb's you could do that with.. im sorry but you couldn't
You know what? I gotta be honest, I used to hate Roman and his play callings until I started reading the coaches film breakdown thread by johnnydel, that shined the light on me that Roman is not that bad as a OC than most of us in here thinks. I mean, he's not the greatest either but he is way better than most of us give him credit for. Yes, some of his play calls are very questionable but it all comes down to the players execution of the play too. I remember the players praised him and raving about him being very creative and a genius of a OC. Im not saying that I totally love him as an OC, but I think he's better than some of the OC candidates that's being mentioned around here. One of the things I hate tho, is the conservative play calls when were leading, even if its not by much. If the lead is more than 28 points then I don't mind the conservative play call to kill time off of the clock. Just my opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone