LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 342 users in the forums

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
This is why I had hoped for a coach who did his own offensive playcalling...I thought Harbaugh was capable of this instead of passing the buck to his OC, but he appears to be another hands off type thumb twiddler on the sideline.

!?!

Harbaugh is VERY involved in playcalling. He lets ALL of the offensive coaches have a say in it. Roman, Shaw and Harbaugh all called plays at Stanford.

I happen to like Roman, but it won't change the entire offense if he leaves. It's still Harbaughs show.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
This is why I had hoped for a coach who did his own offensive playcalling...I thought Harbaugh was capable of this instead of passing the buck to his OC, but he appears to be another hands off type thumb twiddler on the sideline.

!?!

Harbaugh is VERY involved in playcalling. He lets ALL of the offensive coaches have a say in it. Roman, Shaw and Harbaugh all called plays at Stanford.

I happen to like Roman, but it won't change the entire offense if he leaves. It's still Harbaughs show.

this is why I'm glad we hired a coach with an offensive background ..every time we lost an OC, we had to start over from scratch with a new system and new OC ....at least this time the same system stays intact, just a new OC
  • kray28
  • Veteran
!?!

Yet he basically blamed Roman for the pitch play debacle, right? Sounds to me like he lets Roman call the play, and holds veto power...rather than actually calling the plays. There's a real difference there.
He's hot & cold.

One game excellent and the other weak as it gets.

In our losses he seems unable to make adjustments to counter what's happening.

If he goes - IMO, no big deal.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Im not so sure he is a good OC. He has an extremely diverse Playbook, but he doesnt seem to use it to the best of its ability, and he also doesnt seem to make great adjustments durring the course of the game. Im gonna say mediocre playcaller, with an extremely diverse playbook, that makes up for some of his shortcomings as a playcaller. He also hasnt shown that he is getting beter over the course of his stay here, if anything he has regressed.
Thank You!!!
!?!

Yet he basically blamed Roman for the pitch play debacle, right? Sounds to me like he lets Roman call the play, and holds veto power...rather than actually calling the plays. There's a real difference there.

yeah...because that one sentance gives you all the insite you would ever need in determining who calls what and when.
Funny how some people here bash Roman. He turned around our offense and made it a top ranked rushing attack, and with Kaepernick at the helm I think we can see some more passing too if it wasn't for a few drops over the last few weeks.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
f**k that fat f**k. He can EAD

+1 I never really liked him.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if he leaves, I'd rather it be to a college team than an NFL team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
if he wants to leave thats fine with me. he can take his cute play calling to college where it belongs. take over rated staley , underachieving delainie walker and our num nuts kicker with you

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would be totally for Norv making a return after he gets fired in SD. Would be a nice fit IMO.

I would give my left nut for this to happen. I remember Norv calling the offense for a team largely devoid of talent and he was a great playcaller, kept opposing defensive coordinators off balance, made Alex look like he had turned the corner, terrific balance of big passing plays down field along with plenty of runs, I mean Frank Gore did have the best year of his career with Norv as the playcaller. The additional benefit is that Norv isn't going anywhere, nobody is going to offer him a head coaching position ever again, he's kind of like Wade Phillips in that regard, he'll remain as a very, very good coordinator and a guy that the 49ers wouldn't have to worry about bailing on them again.

We finally got the WCO back! I dont wanna give that s**t up, believe that.
would it be good or bad if norv turner came back to run the offense? not a good fit with JH?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He's hot & cold.

One game excellent and the other weak as it gets.

In our losses he seems unable to make adjustments to counter what's happening.

If he goes - IMO, no big deal.

He excels at creating plays and that shouldn't be overlooked, but he is 60/40 in his game plans and sometimes he contradicts himself by mixing in risky plays in an ultra conservative game plan. (anyone else notice that all the high risk plays seem to come at the end of a game?) He tends to contradict himself allot... coming off strong rushing performances to start out the next game by throwing the ball and then never giving the running game a chance to get established. I can apreciate the philosophy behind it, and maybe they were trying to put more on the QBs shoulders, but the vast majority of the losses over the past two years, especially this year seem to come from horribly inflexible gameplans... since he's the OC he is held accountable for that.

Obviously he is still a good coordinator and has proven he can outscheme the pattycakes of the NFL, but his track record of making adjustments when good teams shut down plan A is concerning.
We hate his play calling during losses, don't give a f**k when we win
Originally posted by cciowa:
if he wants to leave thats fine with me. he can take his cute play calling to college where it belongs. take over rated staley , underachieving delainie walker and our num nuts kicker with you

this!
Wow. We're leading our division with a strong 8-3-1 record, we're scoring a very respectable 24 PPG (14th overall), we're 11th in total offense, 2nd in rushing YPG and ranked 4th in QB rating (101.7) yet we're b***hing about our OC and our head coach?

It's embarrassing sometimes being a Niner fan.
Share 49ersWebzone