LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

An idiot on ESPN's First Take said Alex Smith looked better last year than this year.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
And his co hosts agreed with him. This program lost a lot of credibility with me!
aside from last Sunday... He looks like the same player to me. I can tell he is a little more comfortable in the system but as far as play most of it has been the same. I have even seen some of the same high throws and over thrown deep balls I was hoping he would correct from last year. I feel good though leading us deep in the playoffs because of his style of play. He is really smart and does complete most of his passes. If you look at Montana and Young in the WCO when we won Superbowls... their QB rating and completion percentages were really high.
Rob Parker makes everyone in that table stupid. Hopefully they'll change their minds after this Sunday.
Late 2010 - Better.

2011 - Better Still.

2012 - The best I've ever seen and still ascending.
Not just Alex but this offense is much farther along this year predictably and yet impressively year 2 with this staff and finally having an offseason to hone and fine tune mechanics, timing, and finalizing installations and tweaking things. He wasn't highest in QBR and passer rating at any point last year and his WRs were slow. A lot of that has been fixed this year and we are seeing a much better Alex. He is not the $20 million QB that is your team but he is the bargain at $8 million QB that can do everything you need within the framework of the play design to win any and every game. His attitude, smarts, study habits, and work ethic is what has sustained him and what will propel him. The whole offense is getting better this season
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
And his co hosts agreed with him. This program lost a lot of credibility with me!

i am sure noner of them have watched the niners play a full game----and certainly not every offensive play as most of us have---i think alex has improved since last year as far as accuracy, command in the huddle, audiblizing
Originally posted by hofer36:
i am sure noner of them have watched the niners play a full game----and certainly not every offensive play as most of us have---i think alex has improved since last year as far as accuracy, command in the huddle, audiblizing

They watched Minnesota game only.
Loudmouths talking about things they really know nothing about, Alex has the highest QB rating in the league, oh but he was better last year.
I think the back shoulder throw to Williams is a big step up for Smith. Also, the throw to Vernon on a dime along the sideline. He threw it off his back foot, and threw it early, before Vernon was at full speed; that showed great anticipation.

I think there are certainly some improvements.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think the back shoulder throw to Williams is a big step up for Smith. Also, the throw to Vernon on a dime along the sideline. He threw it off his back foot, and threw it early, before Vernon was at full speed; that showed great anticipation.

I think there are certainly some improvements.

definitely. never seen him hit a back shoulder throw like that before.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This year he will be MVP and next year HOF.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
This year he will be MVP and next year HOF.

first ever player to be inducted to the HOF while still playing.
This week will be a good opportunity for Alex to prove himself. We've been bragging about knocking out playoff teams like GB and DET (although IMO we set the tempo for GB's disastrous turnaround this year), but it seems like we've been beating up on a lot of "not so good" teams. Alex has played great in some of those games; average in others.

This week we play a real bonified contender. Im not worried about our defense showing up, but if Alex goes out and lights up the Giants, he's gonna get a lot of attention this week. If he goes out and puts up the same numbers / same types of game as he did against MIN and NYJ, then everyone will conclude that this team is no different than last year's. Defense leads, Alex serves as nothing more than a game manager.

I hope Alex rips the Giants this week.
He seems to improve every week.

ESPN is WAYYYYYY over-rated. I stopped watching their pregame show. NFL network's version is much better.

Fox has a better pregame show.
That was dumb ass Lomas Brown, and mella8 Alex beat the Giants in the reg season last year when they were contenders and were good, and surprisingly Alex passed the ball a lot due to Frank getting hurt. So its not like anyone who has been watching is still waiting for Alex to step up against a contender, i know you just came over from the GB forums this year, and i mean that in no bad way, but Alex led some wins against top playoff teams last year. It might not always be pretty but since the start of last season, Alex's team has the most wins of any starting QB to have played the same span.
Share 49ersWebzone