LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
5 yrs for $45.5? man i'd be super stoked if the niners could squeeze that deal together.

crabtree is not an elite wr.....yet..he needs to be heathy and on the field more & then he will become that elite wr.

Need to lock up aldon too.
Originally posted by wailers15:
5 yrs for $45.5? man i'd be super stoked if the niners could squeeze that deal together.

crabtree is not an elite wr.....yet..he needs to be heathy and on the field more & then he will become that elite wr.

How much guaranteed?
Originally posted by wailers15:

I think the 49ers are going to get an insane bargain with Aldon. Look at all the ammo against him. They stand by him now and look good and he takes the incentive laden deal he should get.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
5 years $45.5 million.

That seems like an awful lot.

Seems about right. Similar to what Greg Jennings got from the Vikings, and Jennings has been the more productive player. Both are injury prone.

Yeah true. But wasn't Jennings deal considered high at the time? I need to look up WR salaries.

I think it was. People were saying he was a product of the QB/system in GB. Seems like almost every long-term deal signed on the open market is a bad deal for the team. Teams get in bidding wars and the player gets way overpaid.

Kap only taking a $12 mil signing bonus in his extension was apparently done by Kap's request, so we could re-sign Crabtree. The ball is now in Crab's court. He can a sign a fair, long-term deal here and win. Or he can cash out in FA, likely to a losing, desperate team. It's up to him.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i'm fairly certain we resign Crab. more so after seeing Kap's contract details. they make each other better.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
5 years $45.5 million.

There are other problems to consider besides the raw numbers.

No matter what Crabtree signs for, he is going to make considerably more than the other receivers on the team, including Stevie Johnson and Anquan Boldin. This is not exactly great for the locker room, because unless he demonstrates that he is clearly better and more productive, it will create some strain.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jun 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM ]
Originally posted by boast:
i'm fairly certain we resign Crab. more so after seeing Kap's contract details. they make each other better.

It would be another Baalke miracle if we pull it off, but I don't see it happening. Baalke ALWAYS looks for + value. Heck, even when signing franchise quarterbacks to long term deals, he manages to get + value.

Also, Crabtree will want to be the featured WR. Our WR corp currently has two other 1,000 yard receivers on the team for the next several years.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jun 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Dez Bryant has played 4 season totaling
293rec, 4104 yards, and 40tds
On average that is
73, 1026, 10tds PER SEASON

Demariyus Thomas has played 4 seasons totaling
240rec, 3698 yards, and 34 tds
On average that is
60, 924.5, 8.5 PER SEASON

Jordy Nelson past 4 seasons have totaled
247rec, 3904 yards, 32 tds
On average that is
61, 976, 8 per season

Jeremy Maclin's past 4 season have totaled
258 rec, 3453 yards, 26 tds
On average that is
62, 863, 6 per season

Roddy White's past 4 seasons have totaled
370rec, 4747 yards, 28 tds
On average that is
92, 1186, 7 per season

Wes Welker's past 4 seasons have totaled
369 rec, 4549 yards, 32 tds
On average that is
92, 1137, 8 per season

Torrey Smith's past 3 seasons have totaled
168 rec, 2824 yards, 19tds
On average that is
56, 941, 6 per season
^
This year includes his rookie year

Not including Cobb or Nicks because both have external circumstances (short NFL career, injuries)

Now lets look at Crabs

Michael Crabtree past 4 seasons have totaled
245 rec, 3004 yards, and 20 tds
On average that is
61, 751, 5 per season

Out of those listed WR, IMO, I put Crabs at the bottom
Crabtree is not in the same tier as the mentioned players above

Wes Welker is a product of a system, a pass oriented system. Crabtree is way better than him, all the rest you can argue. Put Crabtree on a team with a prolific passing game and he would be as good as anyone not named Megatron.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Jun 5, 2014 at 5:12 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
There are other problems to consider besides the raw numbers.

No matter what Crabtree signs for, he is going to make considerably more than the other receivers on the team, including Stevie Johnson and Anquan Boldin. This is not exactly great for the locker room, because unless he demonstrates that he is clearly better and more productive, it will create some strain.

This is actually EXCELLENT for the locker room. Crab has produced more for THIS team over the years than the new guys!

I am not so certain either way. I still say about 50/50, but after the Kap deal (and a little public pressure from your QB), I think the arrow is pointing up. The 49ers will be willing to pay the man, it just comes down to how badly Crabs wants to break the banks.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Wes Welker is a product of a system, a pass oriented system. Crabtree is way better than him, all the rest you can argue. Put Crabtree on a team with a prolific passing game and he would be as good as anyone not named Megatron.

This. His numbers are skewed because of injury and our style of play. I could actually see that being a reason he wants to leave as much as the money. Unfortunately respect for receivers comes from the #s they put up and in this offense Crabs will never put up the monster #s he could in a passing offense.

Me too. Crab's agents just cant be unreasonable. Hes a good player, but his numbers are not close to the elite WRs
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I hope Crabs looks at from the standpoint of where's the best chance he can get a ring. Yeah he can go get paid $$$$ else where but the chances of them winning the SB are alot less. Those players that leave their team to make the $$$$ alot of times take a huge paycut down the road to go back to a SB contending team. I dunno my thought is a ring will get you the money, the money won't get you a ring.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

This. His numbers are skewed because of injury and our style of play. I could actually see that being a reason he wants to leave as much as the money. Unfortunately respect for receivers comes from the #s they put up and in this offense Crabs will never put up the monster #s he could in a passing offense.
You both are exactly right. Could not agree more. I don't know if he'd be as good as anyone not named Megatron, but he would put up some massive numbers.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Me too. Crab's agents just cant be unreasonable. Hes a good player, but his numbers are not close to the elite WRs

It doesn't matter, he still has that birdbrain dips**t for an agent, Parker. The guy who asked for more money after he was drafted because he "should" have been drafted higher.

What did that get Crabtree? An extra YEAR on his rookie contract. Crabtree has LOST money because of Parker, yet he still has him as his agent. Parker somehow has talked him into staying with him, so obviously, neither of them are too bright.

He'll probably argue again, "My client SHOULD be putting up better numbers, therefore I will negotiate the deal as if he IS." etc.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jun 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone