There are 222 users in the forums

Ted Ginn Jr or Kyle Williams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Ted Ginn Jr or Kyle Williams?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Psinex:
This. You don't want Kyle Williams to be in a position to fail with the season on the line unless we have no other choice. Ted Ginn had the awareness to recover the ball after it bounced off a Niner on the punt. It was a live ball and he knows the importance of ball security, much more so than Kyle Williams.

Exactly. These are the unnoticed things that Ginn brings to the table. You don't get that with any speedy return guy you put back there.
i am not among the crowd that still has zero confidence in kyle. if you are still in mourning over a game that 9 months ago and means nothing anymore as we move forward, that is pretty sad. I would not move ginn cuz if kyle gets hurt and you do not have ginn who do you have? no, keep both, train the two kids we drafted to do kicks and punts so next year hopefully, if kyle is here, we have 3 sound returners. Yes it is tempting and logical to try to trade ginn now with him having no trade value at the end of the year but lets keep both and be happy. I do not want to be caught in the same spot we were last year when kyle was not ready for big time game pressure,,, that is all behind him in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Ginn is the better return guy. He has been his whole career. You guys are looking at a FEW games. And Ginn was actually out for most of those. You are getting carried away. Williams still lets the ball bounce around by his legs instead of running away from. That will come back to haunt us in the playoffs.

there was no market for ginn last year, hell maybe he will be back with us on a one year minimum vet deal again next year. i like him very very much but he is a one trick pony that should be able to be replaced for NEXT year.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
With Ginn probably being gone at the end of the year I wouldn't hate the idea of having KW take over. It's games like today that getting the young guys in would be very easy. Celek got a pass today for gods sake....did Ginn even line up at WR for 1 snap?

This is my thinking too, we gave him a 1 yr. deal and he's knocking on 30. I say him and Moss will leave next year and Jenkins and Lockett will take over their roles. We will still be loaded at WR too (Crabs, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, and Lockett)..I like Ginn too, but with his absence we've seen others that can do what he does, and then some.

who the hell is Lockett?

Ricardo Lockette -- all american track athlete, played for seattle last season caught a few big passes against us and AZ last season. signed him to replace Nathan Palmer.
This. You don't want Kyle Williams to be in a position to fail with the season on the line unless we have no other choice. Ted Ginn had the awareness to recover the ball after it bounced off a Niner on the punt. It was a live ball and he knows the importance of ball security, much more so than Kyle Williams.

Exactly. These are the unnoticed things that Ginn brings to the table. You don't get that with any speedy return guy you put back there.

Williams still lets the ball bounce around by his legs and runs right up to it even when he is not catching it. Wait until it's January in the wind, mud and rain and does that stuff again in a playoff game....
Originally posted by sfout:
With Ginn probably being gone at the end of the year I wouldn't hate the idea of having KW take over. It's games like today that getting the young guys in would be very easy. Celek got a pass today for gods sake....did Ginn even line up at WR for 1 snap?

This is my thinking too, we gave him a 1 yr. deal and he's knocking on 30. I say him and Moss will leave next year and Jenkins and Lockett will take over their roles. We will still be loaded at WR too (Crabs, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, and Lockett)..I like Ginn too, but with his absence we've seen others that can do what he does, and then some.

who the hell is Lockett?

Ricardo Lockette -- all american track athlete, played for seattle last season caught a few big passes against us and AZ last season. signed him to replace Nathan Palmer.

lol

wont be around
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

who the hell is Lockett?

lol

wont be around

mhmm I hit post before I was finished and got too lazy to edit it and say that myself.
Just wanted to say that I don't think Ginn should be cut. I agree depth at the position is vital. We learned that last year. But I do think KW should get a chance back there and maybe ginn should be inactive for a while with LMJ or Jenkins given a chance to see if they can do something for the offense

Williams still lets the ball bounce around by his legs and runs right up to it even when he is not catching it. Wait until it's January in the wind, mud and rain and does that stuff again in a playoff game....

That is exactly what Ginn did against the Bills. Maybe you thought that was Kyle? And I think that ball bounced off another one of our players.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:10 AM ]
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Ted Ginn Jr. has 3 Kick Return Touchdowns and 3 Punt Return touchdowns so far in his career. He also is a smart special teams player. Did you see him jump on the ball after the punt hit a 9ers player today? He scored 2 special teams touchdowns in 1 game last year against the Seahawks. He played a HUGE role in field position last year. Ginn is one of the best kick/punt returners in the game.

Ginn needs a lot of space to have a good return. Kyle Williams is much more consistent with his returns. He almost always gets extra yards. If he gets as many chances as Ginn, the TD's will start coming too.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

That is exactly what Ginn did against the Bills. Maybe you thought that was Kyle? And I think that ball bounced off another one of our players.

No. I'm speaking of Kyle. Not any specific game or play but just generally this year early in the year. I've seen him let it bounce and roll around on the ground and run right over to it... You are supposed to get away from it if you aren't catching it.

Ginn needs a lot of space to have a good return. Kyle Williams is much more consistent with his returns. He almost always gets extra yards. If he gets as many chances as Ginn, the TD's will start coming too.

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Ted Ginn Jr. has 3 Kick Return Touchdowns and 3 Punt Return touchdowns so far in his career. He also is a smart special teams player. Did you see him jump on the ball after the punt hit a 9ers player today? He scored 2 special teams touchdowns in 1 game last year against the Seahawks. He played a HUGE role in field position last year. Ginn is one of the best kick/punt returners in the game.

This. Ginn is, and always has been overrated on this board. Its due to the seattle game. Other than last season as a return man, Ginn has accomplished very little in his career. KW looks explosive back there, and has already had some really nice returns. If he was the full time return man he would have some shots at TD's.

He is 3 years from 30. And being a WR/KR, and a seldom used wide receiver at that, is not the same as being a running back.

I thought he was 28 ?? , anyways, dont get me wrong- I like Ginn, It would be nice to keep him-but do we have room ? and do we not have youger/cheaper guys to develope. We have a 1st. rd. pick on the bench b'cuzz of numbers/not productivity. We gotta get return(no pun intended) on our investment. Not disagreeing w/u just presenting a "management" type view (not a fans point of view)

who the hell is Lockett?

Rico Lockette, Seattle cut him and he's on our practice squad now. Dude can FLAT OUT FLY !!!. Div.II trackstar of the yr. when he came out. Also caught a bomb on US last yr. , good viable un-heralded player in-house.
Crabs,Manningham.Starters
AJ Jenkins,Williams. Backups
Ginn, Lockette. kr/pr/st/backups.

I supposed this could work..
Kyle has been playing pretty good.

I'll go with him BUT would like to keep both for the remainder of the season.
Share 49ersWebzone