LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Who will be our Offensive Coordinator next year if Roman leaves?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jim Hostler
Well, that is why your HC has to be an OC...because OCs , if good, always get hired away. Frankly, Coach H doesn't need an OC, as he calls most plays anyway. If we had noln as HC and our OC was a hotshot, then we would be in trouble. With a former NFL QB who is also the OC and HC, it doesn't matter if your official OC goes elsewhere. Sure, Harbaugh needs someone to work with offense, but in reality, he IS the OC, so this is not a huge issue for us.
i thought we hired paul wulff in the offseason to groom for this purpose. i am very glad OP started this thread as this is a real concern. we almost lost roman this past offseason and it would have been a bit of a disaster as i dont think we had a viable alternative. i'm guessing it would have been geep in a pinch. but by bringing in wulff he should be getting acquainted with the players, their strengths/weakness, and ofcourse our scheme.

i am 80% certain we will lose roman in the offseason.

i think the following will get fired for sure:
1)andy reid
2)norv turner
3)pat shurmur
4)romeo crennel

and the following might get fired as well:
1)rex ryan
2)jason garrett
3)marvin lewis
4)lovie smith

so if we assume that 4-6 coaches get canned, i see roman being as strong a candidate as any to replace them. this being a copycat league teams will like the 49ers model and will want to emulate....i feel we are much much much better protected for coaching losses then we were under the previous regimes.
from everything i've read JH is not the play caller, he has veto power but he focuses on game management during games more then play calling.
Not worry about Roman leaving so much as who he might be taking with him to where ever he goes.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
We have had a bottom 10 offense in yardage gained under him, that would hardly make him a hot candidate.
Originally posted by BobS:
We have had a bottom 10 offense in yardage gained under him, that would hardly make him a hot candidate.

dam that is a scary thought. hopefully he pilfers standford not us.i think he has ties w ny giants & wash and other teams so hopefully looks to them before taking from us.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lol, who would want Roman? we can't even convert a 3rd down.

I thought the same thing about Mike McCarthy ...lol ...our offense wasnt very creative when he was here, granted we didnt have the playmakers to get it done, but nothing about McCarthy's offense suggested he was head coach material , but then he goes and develops an offensive juggernaut in Green Bay , stranger things have happened

I remember we all laughed at GB when they hired McCarthy. Look how that worked out for them.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lol, who would want Roman? we can't even convert a 3rd down.

this

we have the least amount of actual 3rd downs in nfl

who needs to convert them when you dont have any?
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout #Browns 2013 head coaching candidates: Mel Tucker (JAX), Jay Gruden (CIN), Greg Roman (SF), Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M).

It would very likely be Geep Chryst.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout #Browns 2013 head coaching candidates: Mel Tucker (JAX), Jay Gruden (CIN), Greg Roman (SF), Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M).

Kevin Sumlin? Disaster waiting to happen.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not worry about Roman leaving so much as who he might be taking with him to where ever he goes.

Kaep
Colts Coach diagnosed with Leukemia. OC is acting interim HC

Looks like Indy is a strong candidate now with Luck and Roman ties
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Colts Coach diagnosed with Leukemia. OC is acting interim HC

Looks like Indy is a strong candidate now with Luck and Roman ties

May go back to Stanford again for a HC
Share 49ersWebzone