Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Still don't have speed on the field...

now, on the bench...

Manningham has speed.
Moss supposedly has speed.
Vernon definitely has speed.
Delanie definitely has speed relative to his matchups.
Hunter definitely has speed.

We have speed on the field.

Ham is not a burner
Moss doesn't play
Walker is dropping balls
and Hunter isnt going out for passes

1 guy....Vernon

lol jreff has a point. Manningham ran 4.59 at the combine and a composite 4.41 at his pro day. That being said I'll happily say he runs a median 4.5 - not exactly a burner, quicker then fast as they say.

Compare Manningham to a more similar receiver in Kyle Williams....Williams ran 4.43 at the combine and a 4.3 flat at his pro day. Giving Williams a median 4.36.

Sorry but the 2 fastest players outside of Vernon are Williams and Ginn and they rarely see the field as a WR.

Kenall Hunter ran a 4.45 at the combine and ran a 4.53 at his pro day giving him a 4.49 as his median between them. so he is marginally quicker for a RB.

We really dont have a lot of speed on the field at a given time. The only real threat is still Vernon, Jenkins and James need to see the field to true have a "speed and explosive" offense.....
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
You were talking about purely speed, those guys have it.
Unless you meant guys with great speed, great hands, gets involved in the offense, can run routes. Can't have 5 elite guys out there. Most teams don't have an elite WR.

And Manningham is a burner.

"Gets involved in the offense".....if you don't have that whats the point?
Crabs is great at being a possession guy
Ham is great at being possession guy
Walker isn't being used...and he's been dropping balls
Williams isn't being used
Moss is a damn decoy...not being used.
Precisely where they should be.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Can anyone think of a niner team where the first and second round picks were inactive besides this one ? I been watching football a long time and this first time I ever remember this happening.
Originally posted by susweel:
Can anyone think of a niner team where the first and second round picks were inactive besides this one ? I been watching football a long time and this first time I ever remember this happening.

Balmer and Chilo

Although I think Chilo was starting. Can't remember
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Balmer and Chilo

but I think at least they were dressing for games. The inactives are pretty similar to being on the practice squads.

Balmer and Chilo

but I think at least they were dressing for games. The inactives are pretty similar to being on the practice squads.

Oh, good call. Technically, Jenkins suited up for the first game. But I get what you mean.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Balmer and Chilo

Oh, good call. Technically, Jenkins suited up for the first game. But I get what you mean.

If they weren't drafted would those dudes even make the team ?

Balmer and Chilo

If they weren't drafted would those dudes even make the team ?

Honestly, I don't know
Originally posted by sfout:
Point is null because irvin was picked at 15 and we picked at 30. Also youd rather bench aldon or brooks for irvin? Thats laughable.

As I said, hind sight is 20/20. It is much easier to rotate pass rushers than wide recievers! Aldon did fine when he came off the bench last year to rush the passer, Irvin could have played a similar role this year.

Did you see how much pressure we got on the Vikings QB? NONE!!!

I cant.

I'm all for building a solid team for the future but we kind of need and want to win now.
Great job drafting be Baalke.

When was the last time a teams 1st and 2nd round picks weren't even good enough to dress for games ?

Horrible draft...do we even have any picks on the active roster? What a complete joke of a draft.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by bigwads:
Great job drafting be Baalke.

When was the last time a teams 1st and 2nd round picks weren't even good enough to dress for games ?

Horrible draft...do we even have any picks on the active roster? What a complete joke of a draft.

Im still hopeful they will develop but I've never seen first and second round picks not good enough to even dress for games.
Consider this their redshirt season, they are "developing" that's is code for not all growed up yet! The knock on both was the same to small to play with the big boys!
Wait until next season...then we will see what what we will will see.
Pro day doesn't mean anything. It's often on a fast rubber track with spikes. Track shoes. And the players "game the system." They are used to their home track to run on. The combine surface compares apples to apples. It's an equal surface to run on. Therfore it compares guys fairly to eachother. Manningham and Williams don't run those times. They run what they ran at the Indianapolis combine. Put Vernon Davis on fast rubber track indoors in track shoes and he will run a 4.2. The surface matters a lot. The most accurate time is Indy. It's the same surface for all players. You can't cheat. Not one player on a faster surface and one on a slower surface.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone