Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Seattle
2) Arizona
3) San Francisco
4) St. Louis

Or flip 1 and 2. I just think Seattle is better. You could make a strong argument that is where things are at now.

I's rate the defenses the same way btw. And overall teams. I guess they didn't get the memo that we are supposed to be the best defense and best team.
We win this week and show last week was a bad fluke all will be fine. Kolb and Wilson still aren't doing anything at all.

The 49ers definitely can top the list and still may. But RIGHT NOW on (1) Defense and (2) Overall Team you can make a real argument if it was from a non biased person this is where we are.
1) Seattle
2) Arizona
3) San Francisco
4) St. Louis

Or flip 1 and 2. I just think Seattle is better. You could make a strong argument that is where things are at now.

I's rate the defenses the same way btw. And overall teams. I guess they didn't get the memo that we are supposed to be the best defense and best team.
We win this week and show last week was a bad fluke all will be fine. Kolb and Wilson still aren't doing anything at all.

The 49ers definitely can top the list and still may. But RIGHT NOW on (1) Defense and (2) Overall Team you can make a real argument if it was from a non biased person this is where we are.

After GB made half time adjustments they looked great...whatever Sea was doing was no longer effective. Wilson is getting PI calls that move the ball 30 yards....he cant move the ball on his own. I have no idea whats going on in Arz? Their D has looked great along with ST but I can make some biased observations.....Sea started a rookie who got beat in his first game (expected), Pats cant run and lost the ability to be dangerous when Gronk went down, Philly is turning over the ball waaaay too much and they got exploited. Either Arz is playing that good or they have gotten some breaks in the beginning and are just riding high.

If we look like we should this week I wont worry. I think once Arz gets a loss it will start to snowball. Sea although strong on D should be 1-2.

If the Phins and Rams win this week we will start to run away with the lead real fast. We got humbled and are now chasing instead of leading. If Harbs has any tricks they are about to get used.
not worried about them, we got our flukie loss/motivation to f**k up every other team that comes across us earlier than i expected so God help the rest of the league from here on out. Niners on top
1) Seattle
2) Arizona
3) San Francisco
4) St. Louis

After GB made half time adjustments they looked great...whatever Sea was doing was no longer effective. Wilson is getting PI calls that move the ball 30 yards....he cant move the ball on his own. I have no idea whats going on in Arz? Their D has looked great along with ST but I can make some biased observations.....Sea started a rookie who got beat in his first game (expected), Pats cant run and lost the ability to be dangerous when Gronk went down, Philly is turning over the ball waaaay too much and they got exploited. Either Arz is playing that good or they have gotten some breaks in the beginning and are just riding high.

If we look like we should this week I wont worry. I think once Arz gets a loss it will start to snowball. Sea although strong on D should be 1-2.

If the Phins and Rams win this week we will start to run away with the lead real fast. We got humbled and are now chasing instead of leading. If Harbs has any tricks they are about to get used.

Maybe. We will see. Right now it looks like a very tight division. Those teams have really improved and are playing defense.
1) Seattle
2) Arizona
3) San Francisco
4) St. Louis

Maybe. We will see. Right now it looks like a very tight division. Those teams have really improved and are playing defense.

D is great but you still have to score. Alex is better then Wilson and Kolb, played in bigger games and has delivered on key moments. If we can get to the bye with no more losses the momentum will continue.

I think the whole not turning the ball over thing had us playing conservative to keep the "idea" alive. Alex had a bad INT and Frank had a dumb fumble...the over cautious fears should be gone. We got away from feeding Frank in the beginning and bit us. You can look at the ravens when they stop feeding Rice and they look bad on O...same thing here. If you aren't scared of the run and we dont attempt to go deep (playcalling) the DB's can play close and problems happen...its simple strategy. We get the run game going and the play action works, we send Vernon deep a few times and the safety's start to play back which will open up the intermediate passing game.

You let Frank run for 5 yards a pop 20+ times and let Alex work 10-20 yards down field...we control the clock and march right down the field. We run Frank 12 times, never go deep, and try to throw the ball 7 yards deep.....you lose.

Luckily Sanchez can be a turnover machine and with any luck we get at least 1 if not 2 this week which should give the D a mental boost.

After 3 weeks we should have enough "tape" to figure out whats working and whats not. Frank runs for 100 and Alex passes for 250......we walk with the W.
People can say what they will, but the 49ers still have the most complete overall roster/staff in the division capable of carrying them the entire 16-game stretch (we adjust and fix our mistakes, it's what we did well last season, despite our losses/sloppy wins).

-Zona & Seattle are weak in depth 'quality', so the moment the injuries/emotional losses start to pile up, they won't have any answers/ego-power when push comes to shove.

The 49ers are still winning this division.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 25, 2012 at 1:49 AM ]
I worry when it's week 15 and we have to win out and aren't in control of our own destiny to make the playoffs. As it stands anything can happen.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
What is the ruling on this? The defender clearly has possession of the ball, but so does the guy on offense. He may not have it in his chest but he had possession. A tie goes to the offense.

Is that how they ruled this? Is that the correct call?

Mike and John had an NFL ref on set with them and he even said the defender had clear possession of the ball with Tate only having an arm touching the ball. And whats the deal with one ref saying TD and the other saying Down/INT. The one ref calling TD didn't even hesitate.

Yeah...this was a very bad call!! Where's the head ref (white hat)??? Shouldn't he have been there to at least discuss before the call is made??!?!?!
I'll be honest. I don't really see us winning the division. Wild-card, if we're lucky.
Originally posted by area49:
I'll be honest. I don't really see us winning the division. Wild-card, if we're lucky.

Pretty pessimistic what with it only being week 3.

What are the tie breaker games? I am curious to know if the loss to MN will hurt us in getting to the playoffs if Seattle and Arizona beat MN.
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Take that Seattle D, i dont care anymore, no matter who our division opponents are playing they must lose. Even if its a team that could threaten us for seeding down the road, because i am legitimately worried about winning the division and with our offense having to go up against these Defenses, these guys are playing hungry, and our last two games i haven't seen our Defense play hungry like last year, they seemed to be getting blocked rather easily against Detroits line, we still kind of owned them, but i didnt see Cowboy or Ray Mac just shedding blockers and playing like their hair was on fire.

I do think as a long season runs on though, injuries will factor in all teams chances in the west, and we have the most talent top to bottom to account for weak spots, and as long as Alex can start to threaten down the field a bit more and shows the command and toughness as the first 2 weeks we should be in good shape. But we all have legitimate concerns now...
That's it. We aren't playing hungry. Definitely not the same kind of pressure we put on last year. Also, it seems we got less pressure in our base D than in the D we used against GB and Detroit.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by area49:

I agree is a hard division, but a little too early to start thinking that way. I'd wait till at least after we play a Seattle and AZ. For all we know....Seattle and AZ lose a handful on the road and we win out most of our road games.
Arizona and Seattle have very good teams, and very good defenses. But I believe we have the best QB in the division and more talent in the skills positions overall. I think it will be close but I still think we win the division.
ARI and SEA must have some really good QB's. They are leading their teams to wins.
Share 49ersWebzone