There are 139 users in the forums

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
last season felt surreal.

this season feels like we should kick every other teams a*s.

It still feels surreal to me, after all the seasons of frustration, of feeling optimistic at the start of each season and then having that optimism crushed about 4 games into the season, this all feels kind of unreal still.
This.

I haven't been able to get into this SB week at all. Have spent by far the most time away from the Zone in this last week than I have in the previous 8 years.

I am experiencing extreme nerves and a sense of disinterest at the same time which is a bit disorientating.

All I know is I want the Niners to win soo bad. I want guys like Frank, and Cowboy and Staley and Vernon who were here most the bad years to taste that ultimate victory.
It's insane how fast they got it turned around with Harbaugh. As good as we are I think I have been conditioned to expect 4th quarter implosions and untimely interceptions....I wonder if that's a theme throughout the fan base and is what has lead to so much worry this post season.
I agree, last year was surreal with JH's first year and to be a few plays away from the SB. Rising from the dark years feels fantastic, now lets go get six.

It's a long way to the top, If you want to rock and roll.

- AC/DC
I felt more surreal last year. About the time around after the Lions game. Then it was after the first playoff win in the Saints' game that I realized this team is a true SB contender. This year's team just met the expectation going into the season as a SB contender.
Can't really relate because it was a few years before my time but watching Eddie D's E60 show makes you realize that maybe history is repeating itself. Jed is the new Eddie. It's that simple. The similarities between the late 70's and early 80's and now is early. Young owner, coach from Stanford, Lightening in a bottle QB that others doubted. Yesir Yogi its Deja vu all over again.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
last season felt surreal.

this season feels like we should kick every other teams a*s.

It still feels surreal to me, after all the seasons of frustration, of feeling optimistic at the start of each season and then having that optimism crushed about 4 games into the season, this all feels kind of unreal still.
This.

I haven't been able to get into this SB week at all. Have spent by far the most time away from the Zone in this last week than I have in the previous 8 years.

I am experiencing extreme nerves and a sense of disinterest at the same time which is a bit disorientating.

All I know is I want the Niners to win soo bad. I want guys like Frank, and Cowboy and Staley and Vernon who were here most the bad years to taste that ultimate victory.

I'm glad to hear someone else say that. I have felt the same way. Very unlike past years when I read and watched everything I could about the game and the teams involved. A good bit of it centers around the switch to Kaepernick and the future of Alex Smith. I like how well CK has done but Alex Smith kept this team together to set up this run and his losing his job takes a lot of the edge off for me. I won't get into another QB comparison here. I just don't have the same emotion for this game I had in the past. My wife, who has become a big 49er fan (pretty football savvy as well) feels the same way.
my entire adult life I watched my team blow. and still i paid for the sunday ticket. i was just about to cancel, then they fired singletary and i enjoyed a cigar. Harbaugh era has surpassed all of my hopes and expectations. I couldnt be happier with the team
Yes and it still hasn't sunk in that we are actually playing in the super bowl. It all happened so fast I thought we would be in the gutter forever and then our savior Harbaugh came along.
im very proud of our team on where its been, and where its headed! We start a new legacy tomorrow in NOLA! and i am super excited for the ride about to be~!

GO NINERS!!!!!!! QUEST FOR SIX!!!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It is kind of surreal. They were so bad just a couple of season's ago.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
im very proud of our team on where its been, and where its headed! We start a new legacy tomorrow in NOLA! and i am super excited for the ride about to be~!

GO NINERS!!!!!!! QUEST FOR SIX!!!!!

We're going to kill them.
Watching Colin go from 5yrs old to setting records in college,then get drafted by the 9ers,then leading them to the SuperBowl has been pretty surreal to say the least!!!

So I get to cheer for him and the 9ers at the same time....Who's got it better than that!!!! NOOOOOBODY!!
[ Edited by Kaepmandu on Feb 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
I'm glad to hear someone else say that. I have felt the same way. Very unlike past years when I read and watched everything I could about the game and the teams involved. A good bit of it centers around the switch to Kaepernick and the future of Alex Smith. I like how well CK has done but Alex Smith kept this team together to set up this run and his losing his job takes a lot of the edge off for me. I won't get into another QB comparison here. I just don't have the same emotion for this game I had in the past. My wife, who has become a big 49er fan (pretty football savvy as well) feels the same way.

It the nature of the beast. Yesterday something dawned on me. When we switched to Colin we gained two players. Colin started bringing the best out in another 49er that Alex never did. Who? Crabtree. While I feel sorry for Alex and wish him the best I'm not going to feel bad for where our team is.
If anything, I'm feeling more emotion and interest over this game because this time, unlike in 1981, I know what it feels like to watch them win it all. Plus, since they had such an unprecedented run of success way back then, for 18 years the Niners have become the butt of endless "that's old news" shots from fans of other teams. To win again and possibly start another run of success shuts up all the bitter rivals who have taken so much pleasure in watching Niner fans suffer. And, it's been a long time since Niner fans had that feeling we might have Sunday night. Back in 1981, all I had was 25 years of failure to one extent or the other. I watched the first game with a bunch of Niner fans, most of whom couldn't even believe yet that the Niners were even IN the Superbowl. Most Niner fans just didn't know what to expect or how to feel about it. Now I know, and I want that feeling back.
Originally posted by Kaepmandu:
Watching Colin go from 5yrs old to setting records in college,then get drafted by the 9ers,then leading them to the SuperBowl has been pretty surreal to say the least!!!

So I get to cheer for him and the 9ers at the same time....Who's got it better than that!!!! NOOOOOBODY!!

How do you know Colin? Still can't believe we're in the big game tomorrow. It feels like we've won it all against the Falcons
Share 49ersWebzone