There are 199 users in the forums

Bakhtairi signed to take Haggans place

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
No use arguing my friend. We never should of let Costanzo sign with Chicago, then we should of kept Rock, he is a proven ST Ace, where Dixon is above average, with same cap figure, and then Jones was traded. I just hope Sealy can get things back and better. Spillman, Gooden, Grant, Brock were all on STs in 2011 and are back, along with Delanie, Dashon, Bowman and Culliver.

I don't think we're terrible, but we certaintly aren't great.
i just see dixon on special teams and how slow and bad he is and i am thinking,, they really cut him for rock??? sheesh

worst part is Dixon doesn't have a future here, he isn't the future RB and isn't a better FB than Miller, so why not keep the better ST player in Cartwright. I don't understand it, it's like Harbaugh said f*ck special teams this year.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
As long as we have Akers and Lee we'll have one of the best ST units in the league.

Dude our coverage sucks. And it didn't have to be that way. Last year we were awesome. We cut special teams aces so we could keep Dixon and Dobbs...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
As long as we have Akers and Lee we'll have one of the best ST units in the league.

Dude our coverage sucks. And it didn't have to be that way. Last year we were awesome. We cut special teams aces so we could keep Dixon and Dobbs...

Dobbs is not an issue....keeping McBath is stupid IMO
Originally posted by jreff22:

McBath has played more ST snaps than Robinson has. I see no issue with 5 CBs and 5 Safeties. I have an issue with a backup RB/FB who isn't near a vet like Rock as only a ST guy.
Originally posted by jreff22:

McBath has played more ST snaps than Robinson has. I see no issue with 5 CBs and 5 Safeties. I have an issue with a backup RB/FB who isn't near a vet like Rock as only a ST guy.
Looking at the new guys who have taken the most amount of snaps tells me they aren't better then the guys they replaced.

McBath isn't better then Jones
Haggins isn't better then Costanzo...different position but still at LB, and Haggins is now suspended
along with everything else i guess this signing means our rookie linebacker is not good enough to play varsity ball. they should have made outside linebacker a higher priority in the draft
cciowa, I think you may be forgetting the guy we drafted to play outside linebacker is on the PUP list, not the rook on the practice squad.
Don't they have a bit more cap since Parys went on IR?
We signed Bhaktisksfds instead of Merriman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064231/article/shawne-merriman-reportedly-works-out-for-49ers
No use arguing my friend. We never should of let Costanzo sign with Chicago, then we should of kept Rock, he is a proven ST Ace, where Dixon is above average, with same cap figure, and then Jones was traded. I just hope Sealy can get things back and better. Spillman, Gooden, Grant, Brock were all on STs in 2011 and are back, along with Delanie, Dashon, Bowman and Culliver.

I don't think we're terrible, but we certaintly aren't great.
i just see dixon on special teams and how slow and bad he is and i am thinking,, they really cut him for rock??? sheesh

worst part is Dixon doesn't have a future here, he isn't the future RB and isn't a better FB than Miller, so why not keep the better ST player in Cartwright. I don't understand it, it's like Harbaugh said f*ck special teams this year.

I think some of this is a product of an improving roster. We have reached a stage where you have to be a stud at your position or make yourself a swiss army knife type player to make the cut. You cant just be a special teams ace anymore. Guys like Dobbs and Dixon showed the ability to be a backup at 2 or 3 postions. On a roster where you are already going to have to cut good players anyone who can cover 3 roster spots...even if they are a little weaker at some of them is going to get the nod over a guy who can only play one spot slightly better and is a star on special teams. It is going to give us some growing pains on kick coverage, but I have faith in our coaching staff to keep it respectable, and our kickers are so good that we can hide the flaws in the meantime.
Originally posted by ninergold:

why? they still have to pay the man.

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064231/article/shawne-merriman-reportedly-works-out-for-49ers

Guess we have to trust that Merriman looked worse than Bakhtiari. I can do that.

( not saying you left an opinion one way or the other, messenger )

Originally posted by ninergold:

No, they will pay his full base salary, but they either used the available $1.5m exception on him, which helps with cap, because we would be over, or we are using the $1.643m from uncapped violations by Washington and Dallas. Otherwise we would be over the cap like said.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

now maybe he can be a good special teams player?? that would be nice.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Born49R:
along with everything else i guess this signing means our rookie linebacker is not good enough to play varsity ball. they should have made outside linebacker a higher priority in the draft
cciowa, I think you may be forgetting the guy we drafted to play outside linebacker is on the PUP list, not the rook on the practice squad.
thank you. I do not keep track of practice squad guys. I know one of the kids we drafted is out for the year. I thought the guy who is on the practice squad( cam?) is an outside linebacker as well?? guess not. well as i said before , at least this guy can play special teams unlike haggans . I hope his contribution will be on special teams and maybe if its a blowout he can get a little second half time in.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I think some of this is a product of an improving roster. We have reached a stage where you have to be a stud at your position or make yourself a swiss army knife type player to make the cut. You cant just be a special teams ace anymore. Guys like Dobbs and Dixon showed the ability to be a backup at 2 or 3 postions. On a roster where you are already going to have to cut good players anyone who can cover 3 roster spots...even if they are a little weaker at some of them is going to get the nod over a guy who can only play one spot slightly better and is a star on special teams. It is going to give us some growing pains on kick coverage, but I have faith in our coaching staff to keep it respectable, and our kickers are so good that we can hide the flaws in the meantime.
yes but dixon has sucked at special teams so far and esp when jacobs comes back he will not get a carry on offense,, he is a waste of roster space,,, should dump him for a 6th rounder and bring back rock in my opinion. I do not like hiding flaws cuz they sooner or later bite you in the ass and then you have to be reactive instead of proactive.
yes but dixon has sucked at special teams so far and esp when jacobs comes back he will not get a carry on offense,, he is a waste of roster space,,, should dump him for a 6th rounder and bring back rock in my opinion. I do not like hiding flaws cuz they sooner or later bite you in the ass and then you have to be reactive instead of proactive.
Cartwright was always a decent special teamer, never great. CJ Spillman would have been our ace regardless of whether we kept Cartwright or Costanzo or both. Cartwright has never been anything carrying the ball. He's old and washed up. Probably will never see an NFL field for the rest of his career. Harbaugh and Baalke kept Dixon over Cartwright, meaning they believe he is the better all around football player. I think they have earned our trust on that topic.

Please provide a specific example of how Dixon "sucks" on special teams. Our coverage units have been fine so far. The touchdown allowed was a mistake by the refs.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Sep 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone