There are 251 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS MINNESOTA VIKINGS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Once tape comes out on Smith, teams will have a great game plan on stopping him.

Nobody on this webzone can tell me that it is not easy to have a great game plan to stop Alex Smith from beating you. it is as easy as apple pie to stop Alex Smith.

And many will say, "its one game, chill." of course it is, but is Alex a 'step on your throat qb'? hell no, he's not and he will never be. He is SOOOO LIMITED ITS NOTEVEN FUNNY.

Just as a side note: after we lost, I'm scanning the channels, turn to the Texans game, just in time to see Matt Fnn Shaub wind up and throw a freaking bomb to some receiver who nobody even knows for a td down the middle of the field.f**k man, we couldn't even beat Minnesotas safeties, FML

Damn, someone should have told that to all of the teams we beat last year, plus the two we've beaten this year
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dcsham:
Harbaugh should be fired.

No but I wouldn't mind seeing Roman go.
Originally posted by dcsham:
Harbaugh should be fired.

I know you're kidding, but people who actually want this should be pushed off a cliff.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Once tape comes out on Smith, teams will have a great game plan on stopping him.

Nobody on this webzone can tell me that it is not easy to have a great game plan to stop Alex Smith from beating you. it is as easy as apple pie to stop Alex Smith.

And many will say, "its one game, chill." of course it is, but is Alex a 'step on your throat qb'? hell no, he's not and he will never be. He is SOOOO LIMITED ITS NOTEVEN FUNNY.

Just as a side note: after we lost, I'm scanning the channels, turn to the Texans game, just in time to see Matt Fnn Shaub wind up and throw a freaking bomb to some receiver who nobody even knows for a td down the middle of the field.f**k man, we couldn't even beat Minnesotas safeties, FML

There is no tape. Our passing game is mostly off of playaction run plays. Almost all of the good plays are off the fake. The other passing plays are contingent up on receivers, pass protection and read progression when we go spread. And on those, Smith is susceptible to pass rush and good coverage to move the ball as an offense like any other qb. It's up to our guys on offense and Smith to step up and make the plays. There's really no magic to our offense, if they execute it's good, when they don't, it's bad. Same with the other team's defense. If they can disrupt, take away guys that Smith is comfortable with, force him to find someone else in limited time in the pocket, they will be good for the most part.

It's still early so the offense right now as a whole can't respond to those area that the defense is forcing them to do quick enough or well enough. Just has to go through the process of getting better.

I respectfully disagree. There is way to stop Alex and thats to pressure up the gut to get him out of the pocket; cut the field in half. Then roll the linebacker in the soft zone to cover the intermediate. Expect Crabs to carry his 6 yd completions in the passing game with a few shot plays to Vernon.

Another poster mentioned spot on that we'll struggle with our running game lacking. No wonder we got six running backs on the roster.

You guys have to see our lack of passing game, you have to see it, please, you guys are killing me. C'mon fellas.

There is no tape. Our passing game is mostly off of playaction run plays. Almost all of the good plays are off the fake. The other passing plays are contingent up on receivers, pass protection and read progression when we go spread. And on those, Smith is susceptible to pass rush and good coverage to move the ball as an offense like any other qb. It's up to our guys on offense and Smith to step up and make the plays. There's really no magic to our offense, if they execute it's good, when they don't, it's bad. Same with the other team's defense. If they can disrupt, take away guys that Smith is comfortable with, force him to find someone else in limited time in the pocket, they will be good for the most part.

It's still early so the offense right now as a whole can't respond to those area that the defense is forcing them to do quick enough or well enough. Just has to go through the process of getting better.

I respectfully disagree. There is way to stop Alex and thats to pressure up the gut to get him out of the pocket; cut the field in half. Then roll the linebacker in the soft zone to cover the intermediate. Expect Crabs to carry his 6 yd completions in the passing game with a few shot plays to Vernon.

Another poster mentioned spot on that we'll struggle with our running game lacking. No wonder we got six running backs on the roster.

You guys have to see our lack of passing game, you have to see it, please, you guys are killing me. C'mon fellas.

So what is the issue then? Bad play design, or our QB is inept at passing the ball, or WRs unable to get open or make the play? Not enough pass plays? Not trying to down play what you said but tell me what is lacking. The term "passing game" has a million different aspects to it.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

He's not a rookie who's played 3 games. This is his 8th year I think there's plenty of tape for teams to go through.

I came onto this forum and especially this thread to expect overreaction and I wasn't disappointed. Nobody had a great game today, no need to put everyone on a skewer. Go out and beat the Jets next week. Would be happy with a 3-1 start in the first quarter of the season and I think everyone would've signed up for that.

Chill.

So you're telling me that Smith is NOT LIMITED? Come on, answer the questions. I am chill bro, really. And I love the Niners the same as this morning, but respectfully opinionated on the passing game, and it's very limited.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

He's not a rookie who's played 3 games. This is his 8th year I think there's plenty of tape for teams to go through.

I came onto this forum and especially this thread to expect overreaction and I wasn't disappointed. Nobody had a great game today, no need to put everyone on a skewer. Go out and beat the Jets next week. Would be happy with a 3-1 start in the first quarter of the season and I think everyone would've signed up for that.

Chill.

So you're telling me that Smith is NOT LIMITED? Come on, answer the questions. I am chill bro, really. And I love the Niners the same as this morning, but respectfully opinionated on the passing game, and it's very limited.

Answer my post above I want to know what it is that you are going on about. Like I said the passing game has many factors.
[ Edited by BayArea on Sep 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM ]
Originally posted by BayArea:

So what is the issue then? Bad play design, or our QB is inept at passing the ball, or WRs unable to get open or make the play? Not enough pass plays? Not trying to down play what you said but tell me what is lacking. The term "passing game" has a million different aspects to it.

It's sadly a blame on the pass protect to compile on the lack of vision, lack of anticipation, lack of trusting in our receivers to make a tough catch, lack of poise to hang in the pocket a second longer(he's getting better at that honestly) from our qb.

The play calling is conservative, but it's also insanely productive if executed. Think about designed rollouts--they work. Remember the early recept to Manningham on a broken playto Alex's LEFT? He needs to keep his eyes downfield because the playmakers are out there. They're getting separation. Alex needs to do more, plain and simple. He is not going to have great protection every play, but he should very minimum produce more than 220 yds a game, with our balanced scheme, and our better than avg. oline
I just dont get how eveyone thinks the D was the biggest problem when the offense could only muster 13 points.
I figured people would have chilled by now. Guess not. We are 2-1 and play the Jets next week. Let's go niners!!!!!!!!!

Alex is too quick to keep it conservative himself. With the game under control, Alex is a methodical, sloooow tempo play caller who wants everything in the play to work likes well oiled machine with no breakdowns. It's tough to succeed in that mentality--think 2011 NFCCG.

Although sometimes we see glimpses of a 'backed up to a corner' gamer who can put the ball where it needs to be, but we need to see more of that. And with others other than Davis. It shouldn't take three years for a trust to be developed with his receivers and that's what we're seeing from him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I just dont get how eveyone thinks the D was the biggest problem when the offense could only muster 13 points.

Actually only ten points because three was from the KW kick return.
Originally posted by susweel:

Actually only ten points because three was from the KW kick return.

So you guys are giving the defense that gave up 24 pts a pass. And who is this 'everyone' .... it was a team loss we got out played by the Vikes.
MY VIKES REALLY SERVED UP SOME HUMBLE PIE!!!!!! I went back about 250 pages just to the sweet cockiness! SKOL VIKINGS@@@

Also, you guys can chill now. The responses to this game are very angry...

This defense let Ponder do to us what Alex did to both GB and DET. This was unacceptable. Alex obviously was not himself and we did not run the ball enough, but Alex was holding his hat pretty much the entirety of this game. The defense let Minny convert first down after first down for very long time consuming drives. Minny played our game and beat us at it. Now I want to see our response.
Share 49ersWebzone