There are 157 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS MINNESOTA VIKINGS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The D was surprisingly lacking in aggression. There were so many times that they seemed to be just standing around and waiting for someone to fill a hole. Did they fly into Minneapolis this morning? Seemed like it.

Put the remote down and step away from the TV...go for a walk...breath...have a libation...then think about next week! NYJ!
lol, that was a nice gif
Originally posted by MasterChef:
none of you were alive for that sh*t

LOL a/s/l check
Sorry everyone for not put spaces between my paragraphs. Second post. If you read it, you'll appreciate it. Anyway, the 49ers who struggled today were in this order;

1. Tarell Brown - Read my post. The worst player in the stadium today.
2. Jim Harbaugh/Greg Roman - Poor game management in swing moments, poor crowd management, head-scratching game calling in the 4th quarter.
3. Alex Smith - I wish he would have taken a few shots down field.
4. Jim Harbaugh/Greg Roman - When Minnesota's Strong Safety was carted off the field, they should have changed up the game plan and ran the ball more.
5. Vic Fangio - Every time Ponder was pass rushed, he made a bad decision. It worked out most of the time, but he should have been blitzed the entire 2nd half.
I'll bet Vic really regrets this. Other than T. Brown the defense actually played pretty well.
6. Officiating - The entire offensive series that resulted in Minnesota's last TD was a catastrophe. The game was basically over at that point.

This summarizes my Stephen King (length wise) like post of earlier. Read it. You'll like it. I am learning the posting rules.
[ Edited by welvisdogger on Sep 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Too much blame being directed at Alex right now. He wasn't as sharp today as he was the first 2 weeks, and missed Moss for an easy score. That still doesn't explain our lack of execution in all phases of the game today.

Did Alex allow the Vikings to score on 4th down the 1st drive of the game?

Did Alex repeatedly miss open field tackles and allow the ball carrier to drive him backwards?

Did Alex fail to block his man on the field goal unit, leading to Akers' blocked kick?

Did Alex fail to contain Ponder from scrambling outside the pocket?

Did Alex allow the Vikings offense to convert on damn near every 3rd down?

Answer these questions and reassess whether you want to put today's loss entirely on Alex's shoulders.

To be fair the guy was blocked he just got a hand up and Akers kicked it a little lower than he should have. Not going against your point though of course.

Fair enough. I only saw it once and thought the guy got penetration through the line.

Either way, there were too many f**k ups today that had nothing to do with Alex. I've seen far worse QB performances that lead to W's. This loss is on the whole team.
Originally posted by welvisdogger:
Sorry everyone for not put spaces between my paragraphs. Second post. If you read it, you'll appreciate it. Anyway, the 49ers who struggled today were in this order;

2. Jim Harbaugh/Greg Roman - Poor game management in swing moments, poor crowd management, head-scratching game calling in the 4th quarter.
4. Jim Harbaugh/Greg Roman - When Minnesota's Strong Safety was carted off the field, they should have changed up the game plan and ran the ball more.
5. Vic Fangio - Every time Ponder was pass rushed, he made a bad decision. It worked out most of the time, but he should have been blitzed the entire 2nd half.
I'll bet Vic really regrets this. Other than T. Brown the defense actually played pretty well.
6. Officiating - The entire offensive series that resulted in Minnesota's last TD was a catastrophe. The game was basically over at that point.

outside of harvin, if you cant cover the vikings wr, there is an issue there.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Our pass rush is lacking right now. Aldon and company needs to get going.
The blocked field goal was a horrible poor decision by Harbaugh. 4th and 1, take the crowd out of the game and burn the clock until halftime. This ended up being a 6 point swing by Minnesota (-3 points for us, resulting +3 for the Vikes). It could have been a +10 for us (-3 for Vikes, +7 for us). I know he is conservative but that would have taken the crowd out of the game, and the crowd affected the 49ers play today.

This summarizes my Stephen King (length wise) like post of earlier. Read it. You'll like it. I am learning the posting rules.

Strongly agree with the bolded.

Very poor game management by Harbaugh/Roman. This team was not prepared to play today. No clear plan of attack, no rhythm what so ever.

I wish we blitzed more. Ponder was throwing ducks when we blitzed him. Some of them were just begging to be picked off. Whitner dropped one that hit him right in the hands.

The officials took the game out of the player's hands on that last Vikes scoring TD. The 2nd personal foul on Goldson by the goalline was pure b******t. Since when is a shoulder to chest hit a personal foul? And it wasn't late, that type of hit happens all the time. Ridiculous.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by niners94:

We played base 3/4 the whole game with one outside lb covering, and one on the line. Fangio screwed this up. Ponder looked like a deer in the headlights every time we blitzed him. Unfortunately I can count those times on one hand. He is going to disappointed in himself for not blitzing more. Minnesota's O-line did a great job.

Originally posted by BayArea:
Too much blame being directed at Alex right now. He wasn't as sharp today as he was the first 2 weeks, and missed Moss for an easy score. That still doesn't explain our lack of execution in all phases of the game today.

Did Alex allow the Vikings to score on 4th down the 1st drive of the game?

Did Alex repeatedly miss open field tackles and allow the ball carrier to drive him backwards?

Did Alex fail to block his man on the field goal unit, leading to Akers' blocked kick?

Did Alex fail to contain Ponder from scrambling outside the pocket?

Did Alex allow the Vikings offense to convert on damn near every 3rd down?

Answer these questions and reassess whether you want to put today's loss entirely on Alex's shoulders.

To be fair the guy was blocked he just got a hand up and Akers kicked it a little lower than he should have. Not going against your point though of course.

Fair enough. I only saw it once and thought the guy got penetration through the line.

Either way, there were too many f**k ups today that had nothing to do with Alex. I've seen far worse QB performances that lead to W's. This loss is on the whole team.

Agreed. Way too many f**k ups to overcome. Everybody had a hand in it in some way. Actually the guy who wrote the long post with no paragraphs actually made some very good observations if you can read that one giant paragraph lol.
The blocked field goal was a horrible poor decision by Harbaugh. 4th and 1, take the crowd out of the game and burn the clock until halftime. This ended up being a 6 point swing by Minnesota (-3 points for us, resulting +3 for the Vikes). It could have been a +10 for us (-3 for Vikes, +7 for us). I know he is conservative but that would have taken the crowd out of the game, and the crowd affected the 49ers play today.

I disagree. Akers doesn't miss a lot of field goals. If he made that one it would have a 1 score plus a 2pts conversion game. It's the right call at that point. Blocked field goal. Vikes made the play. No need to second guess that one.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM ]

Strongly agree with the bolded.

Very poor game management by Harbaugh/Roman. This team was not prepared to play today. No clear plan of attack, no rhythm what so ever.

I wish we blitzed more. Ponder was throwing ducks when we blitzed him. Some of them were just begging to be picked off. Whitner dropped one that hit him right in the hands.

The officials took the game out of the player's hands on that last Vikes scoring TD. The 2nd personal foul on Goldson by the goalline was pure b******t. Since when is a shoulder to chest hit a personal foul? And it wasn't late, that type of hit happens all the time. Ridiculous.
The 2 personal fouls and the no-call push off by Rudolph had a huge impact on this game. Not just the score, but it had to affect the defense on a mental level. When they are getting flagged for nothing (Goldson literally turned his body so he wouldn't hurt Rudolph) and then he throws Whitner to the ground, I am sure they were asking themselves wtf do we have to do to not get ourselves in trouble with these scab refs.
Originally posted by niners94:

We played base 3/4 the whole game with one outside lb covering, and one on the line. Fangio screwed this up. Ponder looked like a deer in the headlights every time we blitzed him. Unfortunately I can count those times on one hand. He is going to disappointed in himself for not blitzing more. Minnesota's O-line did a great job.

aldon is getting there, but just cant finish
Vikes played our game and they played out of their minds at home in front of their home crowd. Our defense had a tough outing and we get to make amends this week at Jets
Share 49ersWebzone