LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

One thing Harbaugh is not good at.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smifunk:
When the last time a bad challenge cost us a game with Harbaugh at the helm? I'm guessing never since he's 15-4 as SF Coach

It hasn't cost us a game yet, but that doesn't mean it won't at some point. Good football means learning to minimize all mistakes.
Actually I remember him being quite good at it last season, the only challenge I did not like was the Gore spot.The first challange was brilliant in that he stopped the Packers momentum, with a super long time out!
Umm, Harbabugh is not an X's and O's guy. He has said that himself plenty of times
This is also the fault of the guys upstairs , we need sharp eyes to let Jim know if the play is worth challenging
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Umm, Harbabugh is not an X's and O's guy. He has said that himself plenty of times

Do you have a link to an interview or article to support your claim?
What was his record last year with challenges? He didn't do too good with them in GB, but on the road the home team won't put a replay up immediately. So the coach and staff have to make a relatively quick gut decision.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Don't ever beleive the stuff he tells the media. He is an x's and o's guy and a motivator. It's obvious.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Don't ever beleive the stuff he tells the media. He is an x's and o's guy and a motivator. It's obvious.

Not obvious to all, apparently.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Uce_Almighty:
sometimes he does it because the players are calling for it, sort of spur-of the moment, trusting his players.

Sometimes he does it strategically, because reviews typically last longer than timeouts, give the guys a blow, coach en up, etc.

Good post, I was going to say the same thing

Sometimes he just wants the time out, so why not challenge the play also?
He actually does that a lot
He gets inputs from his coaches in the booth...who see the replays and advise him. He can overrule their recommendations, but I'm sure he takes what they say into account before he throws a flag. Can he get better at it...probably. If that's legitimate criticism, it's pretty small potatoes in the big scheme of things. Still, I'd agree there's room for improvement.

The problem with the "he uses them as timeouts" argument is that he often calls them when there is clearly little to no chance of the play being overturned. So, he loses a timeout anyway AND the chance to use a challenge later in the game.

He might as well just call a timeout if he wants to "regroup the players" and "coach 'em up" and save the opportunity to challenge if/when a play occurs where we have a chance to win it and it could affect the outcome of the game (or at least an important drive).

I agree that he calls those a bit too emotionally at times and I don't think there is always, or even that often, some higher level strategy involved. (Now once the challenge/timeout happens, he may use that time effectively, but that's not WHY he called it in most cases IMO.)

I'll take the good with the bad, because he's a fiery and emotional guy and that is a big part of what has this team playing so well.

But it's definitely something he could improve upon as he gains more experience as an NFL head coach.

As he always says: "You are either improving or getting worse, you don't stay the same. Always looking to get 1mph faster, 1% better." This is an area as a coach where he has room for improvement.
I will live with it.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM ]
It's a combination of both......

Every challenge could have been a huge game changer, the bobble by Green bay which wasn't a bobble, but it gave them a 1st down.

The gore run looked like a 1st down on first glance, and that would have given us the first down too.

Some challenges are just to yell at the REFS but I don't blame him, the refs were terrible (Aldon Smith's helmet after a huge sack, No block in the back call, Phantom interference on Rogers, BS call in the end zone which basically gave him a TD)
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
didnt you read the thread about not whining

I'm not whining. There is not a coach in the league I would rather have. He's the best thing in almost 20 years to hit the 49ers. That being said he could get better at challenges.

yah he could improve on that. For me personally I think he should tone it down on the refs a bit, dude is a bit high strung Im worried he might pop a blood vessel or something.

I think the older he gets he'll calm down more

alex had a bad game against GB (or whatever you said)

kaepernick is clearly best qb on roster

harbaugh is not an x's and o's guy

im sorry but do you know anything about football?
Share 49ersWebzone