LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS DETROIT LIONS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by fropwns:
By the way, sup Rubber.

fro man!!! my dude. Wassup! I am watching redzone, waiting for my SF Giants to come on. Then watch the niners win! Great sunday!

NICE!
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by murtyle:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Yes please...if 3 teams you played were 8-8...and you beat them...but if you didn't beat them, they would be 9-7...but if you didn't beat them you would be 7-9...please explain how that means something good for your team...?

It's circular reasoning... "The Lions didn't beat a winning team last year. Why? Because the Lions beat them" Basically what you're saying is that in some situations it proves something to lose to a team that is on the edge of having a winning record... Lets say the 49ers were in a similar situation at the end of the year and they were playing a division team that they had beaten previously and is currently 8-7... If the game meant nothing to the 9ers, you're saying that they would gain credibility by throwing the game so they could say they beat a winning team?

It also implies that somehow there is a huge difference between a team that ended the year 9-7 vs one that ended 8-8... As if there is some sort of credibility that comes with beating last year's Titans vs last years Cowboys...

Not to mention, what that would mean if the Lions win tonight... After all, Stafford can't beat a winning team... If you lose tonight, hang on fellas... You're in store for a losing season!

I get it though... It makes you feel all warm and cozy citing these meaningless stats... Like it makes you feel nice when the people on TV talk good about your team... Or any of the other 200 pages plus of mostly nonsense that this forum has cited... It's like your blanky when you're a kid... It's reassuring even though it serves no actual function other than soothing your fears...

And what function did this stream of consciousness serve?

An Englishmen, in an American forum? Bollocks!

[ Edited by fropwns on Sep 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
Originally posted by ObjectiveFactsLions:
RGIII had a bigger game passing (320 yards) in his debut than Alex Smith has had in his career (311). Yet, I keep hearing about this fierce 49ers passing attack. Just be honest, the 9ers are a run-heavy, defense led team. The Lions matchup well vs. those factors - our front 7 is highly talented vs. the run and the Lions offense has too many weapons for any defense. Especially in a league where the rules favor the pass.

Sooo.... When we win are we gonna see you back on the boards, or are you gonna hide like every over opponent fan we have had on the zone?
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You apparently don't understand the point of the stat. It's not implying that the Lions can't beat mediocre teams that are 8-8 or 9-7. The telling part of the stat is that the LIONS AREN'T ELITE because they haven't won a game against a team better than mediocre. You want us to take your team seriously, which many of us do, don't come on here and act like you are an ELITE TEAM and your passing yards stats are proof of that. We proved ourselves last year to be ELITE. We are a better team in all 3 phases of the game. You could beat us tonight, but that's because there is parity in this game. Regardless of what happens in this game, I guarantee you that we finish with a better record and progress further in the playoffs.

Did someone say we were elite? After 1 game? You can't call anyone elite yet... It's silly...

You know the Patriots didn't beat a team in the regular season last year with a winning record? And we were inches away from beating you guys last year... So the difference between an "elite" (your words not mine) team and a mediocre one is inches?

I agree you have a better defense... Our secondary is weak... I don't see how you are better in special teams and on offense... Just because you have more balance does not mean that you are better...

If the Lions play like they did on defense last week and bottle up Gore, this game is going to get interesting really quick... Because it's going to turn into our superior passing attack vs your superior pass defense and our inferior passing attack vs our inferior bass defense... Personally, if that is what it comes down to, as a Lions fan, I feel pretty good about that... It really comes down to whether or not we have truly fixed our rush defense...

On special teams, they've made huge strides in coverage, Logan is still a threat every time he gets the ball back there and we have a hall of fame kicker... I'm not saying we are better on special teams, I just don't see how you can say we're worse....
C'mon Niner brothers and sisters. Do you not understand that the Lions really ONLY have passing stats to cheer on? Is it not obvious by now at this point in the thread?

Niner fans: "Go NINERS! WIN!"

Lions fans: "Go Stafford! Passing Yards! STATS!"
Yes please...if 3 teams you played were 8-8...and you beat them...but if you didn't beat them, they would be 9-7...but if you didn't beat them you would be 7-9...please explain how that means something good for your team...?

It's circular reasoning... "The Lions didn't beat a winning team last year. Why? Because the Lions beat them" Basically what you're saying is that in some situations it proves something to lose to a team that is on the edge of having a winning record... Lets say the 49ers were in a similar situation at the end of the year and they were playing a division team that they had beaten previously and is currently 8-7... If the game meant nothing to the 9ers, you're saying that they would gain credibility by throwing the game so they could say they beat a winning team?

It also implies that somehow there is a huge difference between a team that ended the year 9-7 vs one that ended 8-8... As if there is some sort of credibility that comes with beating last year's Titans vs last years Cowboys...

Not to mention, what that would mean if the Lions win tonight... After all, Stafford can't beat a winning team... If you lose tonight, hang on fellas... You're in store for a losing season!

I get it though... It makes you feel all warm and cozy citing these meaningless stats... Like it makes you feel nice when the people on TV talk good about your team... Or any of the other 200 pages plus of mostly nonsense that this forum has cited... It's like your blanky when you're a kid... It's reassuring even though it serves no actual function other than soothing your fears...

Just trying to raise the tone.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Just trying to raise the tone.

As always, governor, as always.

I thought it was clear... Someone asked me to clarify why it made no sense, so I explained... No fear here... I've got no illusions about tonight...
Let's go 9ers!~!!!!!

LOL is anyone seeing this WAS/STL game? Fumble return for a score by Washington on the first play; ensuing kickoff the Rams run it all the way back to the 9...is this the team that almost beat the Lions last week lolololol
LOL is anyone seeing this WAS/STL game? Fumble return for a score by Washington on the first play; ensuing kickoff the Rams run it all the way back to the 9...is this the team that almost beat the Lions last week lolololol

lions are an elite team bro

lol

stupid ass cardinals lololololololololol
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Sep 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Go, Niners, go!

we have the golden penis of mayo and that is the biggest intangible there is suh would be in shock and awe of the power of the mayo penis
Your entire fanbase that has come on this board has boasted your team as God's gift to the NFL. While none of you have used the term "elite", you certainly talk about your team as though it is. And I'm not calling the Niners elite just because they beat the Packers. We're elite because we went 13-3 last year while installing an entire new system without a preseason, succeeded in the playoffs beating other elite teams in the process, returned our entire defense (which was a historically good defense), and improved our O-line, WR and RB corps.
I mean that's fine... You can define elite teams however you want... You see its arbitrary... Anyone can do that... Watch... I choose to define elite teams as teams who won at least 10 games last year... Teams who have dominant defensive lines, top tier QBs and elite WRs... There the Lions are "elite"... By the way, that isn't how I would define elite, I'm just saying your elite isn't a Dolphins fan's elite or a Patriots fan's elite... They'll define elite however it makes their team elite... It's not just 49er fans its everyone... Moreover, I think you read a bit too much into us defending our team here... We have elite components of this team, but only the slappiest of Lions fans would actually call us elite...
Yeah, well the Patriots beat elite teams in the postseason and made it to the super-bowl, plus they've been elite for years. Last time I checked playoffs counted.
Your assertion that my claim is that inches separates elite teams from mediocre ones is a straw-man argument. That's not what I said nor implied. We lost to the Cardinals last year. No one on earth, even their delusional fans, would call them elite. The difference between elite teams and mediocre ones is winning when it counts.
The point is, when people made that argument last year, at that time, the Patriots fit that description as well... So what does that say about using that statement as something of relevance? Again, this seems like just another stat where people wait until it fits their argument to use it...
Of course we have a better defense, it's not even close. Our special teams is headed by two ALL-PRO kickers. Our FG kicker broke records last year and just tied a record last week for a 63 yard FG. Our punter is perenially the best in the league. Our coverage unit was the best in the league last year. Our special teams was arguably the best in the entire NFL. As for offense goes, it's more debateable. I'll take balance and efficiency over big stats and inconsistency. You certainly have the best reciever in the game but that's the only stalwart piece in your offensive puzzle. Stafford, while talented, is incredibly inconsitent. Your running game is, meh as is your line.
Congrats dude... Our kicker holds records and is still going strong... He would have more recognition if he played for a better franchise over the years... Our special teams other than Hanson were bad last year... So much so, that is the area of the offseason that they put the most attention on... They played really well last week... Like our run defense, we'll see if it's truly fixed... And again, you'll take whatever your team has... You're biased and it's understandable, but lets at least call it for what it is... If you could make your team as explosive on offensive as ours you would... If I could make the Lions offense more balanced I would... And by the way, I think you'll change your mind on the whole "CJ is your only stalwart piece in your offensive puzzle" after tonight... Although you guys have already forgotten the catch Pettigrew made in triple coverage last year so maybe not...
That's a very simple-minded outlook. You have pigeon-holed our team into something it is not. The game is all about who dictates the tempo. If we play our game with underwhelming passing yards and clock control, you lose. If Alex Smith is forced to throw for 300 yards, you stand a chance. Our running game is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR more dynamic than the Rams. It's not even debateable. The days of dive right, dive left are no more. We are a very creative running team. And the intellect with which we play is probably our biggest advantage. Our coaching staff and players are just smarter.
Your running game is better than the Rams... That's why I was saying we are going to find out if they have truly fixed our rush defense... But, we did dominate a very good running back last week... And I'm just not sure your team is so much smarter than everyone else...
All-Pro punter and kicker. Excellent coverage unit. Ginn is injured, but I trust KW to do the job. The advantage we gain with Akers and Lee are key though.
Hanson is automatic and has more 50+ field goals than anyone in the history of the NFL... I really don't see the game hinging on special teams... Its all about our rush defense vs your rush offense IMO...

Sorry if this is weird to read, but I didn't feel like finding out how to do it properly...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Your entire fanbase that has come on this board has boasted your team as God's gift to the NFL. While none of you have used the term "elite", you certainly talk about your team as though it is. And I'm not calling the Niners elite just because they beat the Packers. We're elite because we went 13-3 last year while installing an entire new system without a preseason, succeeded in the playoffs beating other elite teams in the process, returned our entire defense (which was a historically good defense), and improved our O-line, WR and RB corps.
I mean that's fine... You can define elite teams however you want... You see its arbitrary... Anyone can do that... Watch... I choose to define elite teams as teams who won at least 10 games last year... Teams who have dominant defensive lines, top tier QBs and elite WRs... There the Lions are "elite"... By the way, that isn't how I would define elite, I'm just saying your elite isn't a Dolphins fan's elite or a Patriots fan's elite... They'll define elite however it makes their team elite... It's not just 49er fans its everyone... Moreover, I think you read a bit too much into us defending our team here... We have elite components of this team, but only the slappiest of Lions fans would actually call us elite...
Yeah, well the Patriots beat elite teams in the postseason and made it to the super-bowl, plus they've been elite for years. Last time I checked playoffs counted.
Your assertion that my claim is that inches separates elite teams from mediocre ones is a straw-man argument. That's not what I said nor implied. We lost to the Cardinals last year. No one on earth, even their delusional fans, would call them elite. The difference between elite teams and mediocre ones is winning when it counts.
The point is, when people made that argument last year, at that time, the Patriots fit that description as well... So what does that say about using that statement as something of relevance? Again, this seems like just another stat where people wait until it fits their argument to use it...
Of course we have a better defense, it's not even close. Our special teams is headed by two ALL-PRO kickers. Our FG kicker broke records last year and just tied a record last week for a 63 yard FG. Our punter is perenially the best in the league. Our coverage unit was the best in the league last year. Our special teams was arguably the best in the entire NFL. As for offense goes, it's more debateable. I'll take balance and efficiency over big stats and inconsistency. You certainly have the best reciever in the game but that's the only stalwart piece in your offensive puzzle. Stafford, while talented, is incredibly inconsitent. Your running game is, meh as is your line.
Congrats dude... Our kicker holds records and is still going strong... He would have more recognition if he played for a better franchise over the years... Our special teams other than Hanson were bad last year... So much so, that is the area of the offseason that they put the most attention on... They played really well last week... Like our run defense, we'll see if it's truly fixed... And again, you'll take whatever your team has... You're biased and it's understandable, but lets at least call it for what it is... If you could make your team as explosive on offensive as ours you would... If I could make the Lions offense more balanced I would... And by the way, I think you'll change your mind on the whole "CJ is your only stalwart piece in your offensive puzzle" after tonight... Although you guys have already forgotten the catch Pettigrew made in triple coverage last year so maybe not...
That's a very simple-minded outlook. You have pigeon-holed our team into something it is not. The game is all about who dictates the tempo. If we play our game with underwhelming passing yards and clock control, you lose. If Alex Smith is forced to throw for 300 yards, you stand a chance. Our running game is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR more dynamic than the Rams. It's not even debateable. The days of dive right, dive left are no more. We are a very creative running team. And the intellect with which we play is probably our biggest advantage. Our coaching staff and players are just smarter.
Your running game is better than the Rams... That's why I was saying we are going to find out if they have truly fixed our rush defense... But, we did dominate a very good running back last week... And I'm just not sure your team is so much smarter than everyone else...
All-Pro punter and kicker. Excellent coverage unit. Ginn is injured, but I trust KW to do the job. The advantage we gain with Akers and Lee are key though.
Hanson is automatic and has more 50+ field goals than anyone in the history of the NFL... I really don't see the game hinging on special teams... Its all about our rush defense vs your rush offense IMO...

Sorry if this is weird to read, but I didn't feel like finding out how to do it properly...
when you start every drive out at the 20 yard line and get driven backwards on every lee punt you will think twice about special teams.again we are more balenced and even if we only rush for say 125 yards a game that is 125 yards more than you will get. we just need to run the ball a bit to open up the pass. And there lies your downfall. You detroit fans are in denial that alex can make plays with his arm and feet to win a game.you will continue to be in denial long after you slink back to detroit knowing that you are not as good as you thought you were. you people are one dimensional and that will bite you in the ass tonight. stafford is a turnover machine and while he can get away with picks vs the rams he will not get away with that crap tonight.
Share 49ersWebzone