There are 130 users in the forums

Sign Bowman Now $$$$$$

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Can we afford to pay two linebackers big money. Just saying.

When they are this good, of course the Niners can.

But I think you cross your fingers to some extent and hope that their desire to remain complimentary teammates and the lure of the team culture that Harbaugh has fostered gets you a bit of a discount. This is going to be a huge chunck of salary cap, nonetheless.

It's not going to be easy, but I think our FO is up to the task and the culture of the team is conducive to getting it done. Fingers crossed.
I don't think Bowman will get a long term deal. We are going to have to get used to the idea of some turnover on defense. Our starting 11 on defense are going to get more and more expensive. We won't be able to keep all.

And if Smith and Crabtree keep performing like they did yesterday all season, they will get much more expensive to keep around.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
I don't think Bowman will get a long term deal. We are going to have to get used to the idea of some turnover on defense. Our starting 11 on defense are going to get more and more expensive. We won't be able to keep all.

And if Smith and Crabtree keep performing like they did yesterday all season, they will get much more expensive to keep around.

Maybe Harbaugh gets in his head about the special thing they can make here and the legacy he could have if he just sacrifices a little bit of the dough.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
With James Laurinaitis getting a 5 year 41 million dollar deal with 23+ guaranteed it's not going to be easy. Not sure they will want to tie up 90-100 million in ILB between him and Willis (50 mil). Would be cheaper to get it done now but we have Bowman for 2 more years (including this yr) plus we can tag him 2 more years so we might just go with having him 4 more years. He wouldn't be a FA until after the 2015 season. If we sign him now it might mean we made our decision on him vs Goldson and not sure we are ready to do that yet.

Theres no way they would pick Goldson over Bowman. Theyre way too smart for that.
Originally posted by blm7754:

Bowman is more valuable than Carlos Rogers, Goldson and even Soap.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We want to sign Bowman, but we don't have any of this: $$$$$$.

Like AB said. I think we could sign him no problem in his contract year. The only problem I potentially see with that is that Goldson probably won't get his contract. We need some safeties to step up soon.

Id muchhhhhhhh rather let Goldson walk rather than Bowman.
I agree with locking him up, but like some of the guys already said we can do this better next yr., I would like us to extend Gooden and Grant now thoough. Remember how we did this for some of our core guys like Snyder and Walker. We can extend those two guys for middle tier type $$$$, then extend Bowman next year, locking up our LB's for the next 5 yrs.
Originally posted by NickV:
Id muchhhhhhhh rather let Goldson walk rather than Bowman.

Me too.. I think with guys like "The Honey Badger", Tim Mc. Donald Jr., and some others, we can draft a big time type player next year and come off better financially than over-paying Goldson. The only way I see Gldson staying is accepting the same contract he previously turned down (albeit modified/shortened- 3yr.-$17mill.level/type) then draft a replacement in say the 3rd. round..
We should be able to lock him up. Willis is getting payed 17 million this year so the rest of his contract is cheap. The problem is going to get Aldon back as well. I don't think we bring back goldson since safety is our plug and play position and because Whitner might come back relatively cheap and is so important to our d.
Was Singletary responsible for drafting both Willis AND Bowman?

Originally posted by Gore_21:
With James Laurinaitis getting a 5 year 41 million dollar deal with 23+ guaranteed it's not going to be easy. Not sure they will want to tie up 90-100 million in ILB between him and Willis (50 mil). Would be cheaper to get it done now but we have Bowman for 2 more years (including this yr) plus we can tag him 2 more years so we might just go with having him 4 more years. He wouldn't be a FA until after the 2015 season. If we sign him now it might mean we made our decision on him vs Goldson and not sure we are ready to do that yet.

Well I mean, Willis was 5 year 50 mill if I believe. It'd be a steal if we could sign Bowman for 40 mill.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think we can let Goldson walk next year and let Cox take ove the FS spot. He can cover better. Im going to keep an eye on him this year, sofar so good.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Bowman is better than Willis. Even take out the all important INT he had and Bowman outperformed Willis

, Thinking not sr. Sure Bowman had a great game. Over all Willis is still better in my eyes... During Willis's senior season at Ole Miss, he received the Butkus Award and the Jack Lambert Award as the nation's top linebacker. A year later as a member of the 49ers, Willis led the NFL in tackles, earned first-team All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors while being named the 2007 AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. Willis has earned Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors in all five years he has played in the NFL. He is the only player to receive the Butkus Award for best linebacker in more than one category. He won the college Butkus Award in 2006 while at Ole Miss and in 2009, he won the professional Butkus Award while with the San Francisco 49ers.

Did you copy and paste a whole paragraph on Willis from the 49ers website or something? Don't get me wrong, Willis is still very good, but I thought Bowman was better than Willis last season and Bowman certainly outperformed Willis today. Willis is great but Bowman has been greater lately

WIKI muahahha. Bowman also fits the defense we ran. Jim said it was a gameplanning decision, and clearly bowman had practice in it and willis didn't. So he got more snaps it seems, of coarse he's going to look better, besides your not going to run at willis anyways, that's called game planing the running game.. Also willis look hurt he's the only linebacker who played the entire preseason.
Originally posted by dGilleran:
Was Singletary responsible for drafting both Willis AND Bowman?

No Sing didn't want Willis. Nolan did!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
No Sing didn't want Willis. Nolan did!

Is that true? Anyone know who Sing wanted to draft instead?
Share 49ersWebzone