LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

Sign Bowman Now $$$$$$

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Break this man off before its to late...
Yeah he's worth it. heartbreaking to imagine him going somewhere else
I would cry if we lost #53
have two more years on his contract I think, plus a year of franchise, at least MLB tags arent that high, give a fair offer a little below Willis and see if he bites.
With James Laurinaitis getting a 5 year 41 million dollar deal with 23+ guaranteed it's not going to be easy. Not sure they will want to tie up 90-100 million in ILB between him and Willis (50 mil). Would be cheaper to get it done now but we have Bowman for 2 more years (including this yr) plus we can tag him 2 more years so we might just go with having him 4 more years. He wouldn't be a FA until after the 2015 season. If we sign him now it might mean we made our decision on him vs Goldson and not sure we are ready to do that yet.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
beast
Willis has $27,664,500 left to be paid between base salaries and roster/workout bonuses after 2012. I don't see a problem extending him, just not now, low cap space next season right now. Cant' happen now, because of the proration for whatever signing bonus amount he gets. Even if it's 1M a yr for 5 yrs, that still won't work, unless they redo Justin Smith's deal, and extend him a few more years.
It won't be easy but Baalke & Parage [sp] will get it done.
Bowman is an absolute beast but if we fail to keep him for the long term, we still have Grant.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Bowman is an absolute beast but if we fail to keep him for the long term, we still have Grant.

I think Grant will be a UFA after this season.

We want to sign Bowman, but we don't have any of this: $$$$$$.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We want to sign Bowman, but we don't have any of this: $$$$$$.

Like AB said. I think we could sign him no problem in his contract year. The only problem I potentially see with that is that Goldson probably won't get his contract. We need some safeties to step up soon.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I think Grant will be a UFA after this season.
Yep, Grant and Gooden are free agents after this year. We might be able to bring back both but odds are only 1 makes it. The other spot might be filled by Michael Wilhoite. Also, we could go towards the draft. Then again 2015 is a long ways away if we tag him twice. None of those guys could be in the picture by then. Drafting MLB is one of the more sure fire draft spots though.... none are locks but ILBs and RBs seem to have the best shot.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
With James Laurinaitis getting a 5 year 41 million dollar deal with 23+ guaranteed it's not going to be easy. Not sure they will want to tie up 90-100 million in ILB between him and Willis (50 mil). Would be cheaper to get it done now but we have Bowman for 2 more years (including this yr) plus we can tag him 2 more years so we might just go with having him 4 more years. He wouldn't be a FA until after the 2015 season. If we sign him now it might mean we made our decision on him vs Goldson and not sure we are ready to do that yet.

Why are you all freaking out. Can't we just Tender Bowman and match the contract. I'd also like to see another season of him being healthy before we lock him up longterm. In planning ahead, the 49ers felt they had enough space to restructure linebacker Patrick Willis' contract late last year to absorb a cap figure of more than $17 million on the 2012 cap. The move reduced his costs for future seasons. Also Justin Smith Contract needs to be extended, should lower his base salary, and I'm not sure if we can afford tagging goldson next season, or resign. My thinking test the waters with goldson, offering a fair deal, I doubt a repeat of last seasons numbers. If not we can always take one in the draft.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM ]
Just food for thought: Imagine what would've happened to our defense if we brought in Manning for 18m a year...
Share 49ersWebzone