Cheers to the best defense in the NFL!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Cheers to the best team in the NFL!

What's our rankings?? Good job Aldon and Brooks each got a sack...

Yeah, literally, the only criticism I could possibly have was Fangio playing off the WR's so much (free passes for EASY catches). I'd like to see our DB be much more physical up at the LOS (we have the guys esp. with Goldson. Whitner, Culliver, Cox, Rogers & Brown)...and the one that STILL drives me crazy from last year; where we bring a blitz and then also play off giving the QB-WR hot read a simple pitch-n-catch. If you're going to blitz, play physical up at the LOS b/c you know you only need to cover for a few seconds. Hate that!

Anyway, gave up a load of yards through the air, none on the ground, hit some fools, interesting looks with Willis/Brooks on the sidelines, Aldon rushing from LDE (his opposite side), etc.

I don't blame Fangio on that at all. GB's WRs are fast and can get down field quick. I think Fangio was willing to give up the 3-5 yard easy passes instead of getting beat deep once. Our secondary was in position ALL NIGHT on the deep ball. They played hella good against that great passing attack.

However, I wish we did play closer coverage on 3rd and short. Those 3rd downs were so easy to make for Rodgers. Still, better than being torched for a 40 yard pass instead of giving up a 5 yard first down.

I don't blame Fangio for that, but I do blame him 100% for rushing three men on Green Bay's last TD scoring drive. When he did that last season, it hurt us in several games, and almost cost us the Giants game in the regular season. I can't believe he did it again. It made the game close.

Brown and Goldson messed up on the TD play. Miscommunicate. One thought the other wasn't where he would be.
We beat one of the best teams in football.

This is a HUGE statement to the rest of the league & the clones on TV.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We beat one of the best teams in football.

This is a HUGE statement to the rest of the league & the clones on TV.

Feels good, doesn't.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, literally, the only criticism I could possibly have was Fangio playing off the WR's so much (free passes for EASY catches). I'd like to see our DB be much more physical up at the LOS (we have the guys esp. with Goldson. Whitner, Culliver, Cox, Rogers & Brown)...and the one that STILL drives me crazy from last year; where we bring a blitz and then also play off giving the QB-WR hot read a simple pitch-n-catch. If you're going to blitz, play physical up at the LOS b/c you know you only need to cover for a few seconds. Hate that!

Anyway, gave up a load of yards through the air, none on the ground, hit some fools, interesting looks with Willis/Brooks on the sidelines, Aldon rushing from LDE (his opposite side), etc.

I agree, it's a different game if Finley doesn't drop that easy catch on third down when nobody was even close to the dude. I was really happy he dropped that after flopping around in the end zone like a soccer player lol
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Brown and Goldson messed up on the TD play. Miscommunicate. One thought the other wasn't where he would be.

That's the type of thing that happens when the pass rush doesn't get there.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
I agree, it's a different game if Finley doesn't drop that easy catch on third down when nobody was even close to the dude. I was really happy he dropped that after flopping around in the end zone like a soccer player lol

SO happy that idiot dropped that pass. He was so annoying in that game, almost reminded me of Michael Irvin.

No not necessarily. Can't blame the lack of rush on that. It's usually called blown coverage, because that's exactly what it was.

SO happy that idiot dropped that pass. He was so annoying in that game, almost reminded me of Michael Irvin.

Kneed Cox in the back when Cox was sitting on the ground defenseless. He already had a TD and the play was over. He had won the battle on that play, why do sh*t like that. Classless.

No not necessarily. Can't blame the lack of rush on that. It's usually called blown coverage, because that's exactly what it was.

Right, but if the quarterback can't throw the ball, you'll never even know their was a blown coverage in the first place.

where can we re watch it if we didnt have the dvr set?

Kneed Cox in the back when Cox was sitting on the ground defenseless. He already had a TD and the play was over. He had won the battle on that play, why do sh*t like that. Classless.

That was just after the phantom pass interference, before the TD. Glad Cox stepped on his ankle after that.

Right, but if the quarterback can't throw the ball, you'll never even know their was a blown coverage in the first place.

If you expect a pass rush than you have to expect some type of competency in the secondary also. If they blow a coverage, the qb will see it right away, throws the ball in 1-2 seconds. That's really tough for any good pass rush to some how masked that by getting to the qb.

That was just after the phantom pass interference, before the TD. Glad Cox stepped on his ankle after that.

Oops! My mistake. Thanks
the most impressive part of our defense was the secondary. they were lights out on coverage and didnt allow any big plays!
Share 49ersWebzone