LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

San Francisco 49ers NY Times 2012 NFL Preview

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Imagine how different the N.F.L. could be right now if Kyle Williams hadn't muffed that punt in overtime of the N.F.C. championship game. The San Francisco 49ers might have gone to Super Bowl 46. Coach Jim Harbaugh would practically be a folk hero. Not only would the firm-jawed 48-year-old have achieved a level of success few college-turned-pro coaches have ever achieved, he would have done so in his debut season as an N.F.L. coach. And with no off-season to install his program. And with a game-managing quarterback!
Rest of the article....
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/san-francisco-49ers-2012-n-f-l-season-preview/
Championship!!!!
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Imagine how different the N.F.L. could be right now if Kyle Williams hadn't muffed that punt in overtime of the N.F.C. championship game. The San Francisco 49ers might have gone to Super Bowl 46. Coach Jim Harbaugh would practically be a folk hero. Not only would the firm-jawed 48-year-old have achieved a level of success few college-turned-pro coaches have ever achieved, he would have done so in his debut season as an N.F.L. coach. And with no off-season to install his program. And with a game-managing quarterback!
Rest of the article....
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/san-francisco-49ers-2012-n-f-l-season-preview/

Good read, thanks for sharing
And coming off a losing season!

That's the main kicker.
IMO it was pretty thorough and honest. Lots to look forward to.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
good read
Rest of the article....

Shame, shame!

"I don't think he's a game manager," Rodgers said. "He's a guy that takes care of the football and makes a lot of plays. To throw that many times and only throw five interceptions, I don't think he gets the respect he deserves."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/rodgers-calls-smiths-game-manager-label-condescending.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Rest of the article....

Shame, shame!

"I don't think he's a game manager," Rodgers said. "He's a guy that takes care of the football and makes a lot of plays. To throw that many times and only throw five interceptions, I don't think he gets the respect he deserves."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/rodgers-calls-smiths-game-manager-label-condescending.html#storylink=cpy
It's a shame if that's all you read.
I'm wondering if Smith has the ability to grow and do all the things the top QBs in the league can do.

Eli is running a very advanced offense now, but was he doing that in '07? Don't think so.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I'm wondering if Smith has the ability to grow and do all the things the top QBs in the league can do.

Eli is running a very advanced offense now, but was he doing that in '07? Don't think so.

I think Harbaugh and Roman will make sure it won't be for lack of coaching that his potential, or any of the QB's, isn't maximized.

It's a shame if that's all you read.

I stopped reading after, "...game-managing quarterback." Kidding. Appreciate the article. Agreed with some, very much disagreed with a lot of it; seemed like a lot of how he stated things were fact (but truly appeared more opinion than anything). Either way, it was a good read.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
And coming off a losing season!

That's the main kicker.

Losing decade!
We don't know if the 49ers would have won if we got to the SB, but maybe it was for the better in the long run on so many levels. The players might loss there hunger and others might think it is easy and slack off during the off season. Salaries skyrocket and renogotiations, and raids of player and coaching staff. This way they remember the bitter taste and can possibly do it more than once.
He's so bad at improvising that the Niners sometimes don't even bother building dumpoff passes or safety outlets into the play designs.

I don't know about all this. He improvised just fine during the 4th quarter many times this past season and...well...he earned the nick name "Captain Checkdown" by people on here so...
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
He's so bad at improvising that the Niners sometimes don't even bother building dumpoff passes or safety outlets into the play designs.

I don't know about all this. He improvised just fine during the 4th quarter many times this past season and...well...he earned the nick name "Captain Checkdown" by people on here so...

Well didn't he just admit himself that improvisation isn't his style.
Share 49ersWebzone