There are 227 users in the forums

How will the Packers attack the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If I recall last game, we tried to play a base defense but ended up adjusting to their 3-4 WR sets by playing a nickel and dime coverage with Bowman playing MLB and Willis on the sideline a lot.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
If I recall last game, we tried to play a base defense but ended up adjusting to their 3-4 WR sets by playing a nickel and dime coverage with Bowman playing MLB and Willis on the sideline a lot.

We were torched with the hurry-up offense against the Pats and the Packers are very capable of doing this on a regular basis as well AND will spread us out. The good news is that we don't substitute anyways so we won't need to change personnel. They can attack us all day with RB/TE/Slot WR drag routes...we always have a LB trailing this guy (we're great North and South) but poor laterally for some reason. Also, the Roman-like play where Rodgers throws a quick out to the RB in the flat WHILE the WR's are already engaged in blocking could work on us all day. When they do run, they should run right at Justin Smith/Aldon Smith. Don't even try to run off McDonald/Brooks' edge.
They will attempt to establish the run, fail, and then do what NCommand predicts: spread us out and go into a hurry up passing mode with four or five receiver sets. This will fail.

It doesn't look like there's any rain in the forecast next weekend, but a January game without those famous Candlestick whipping winds is a rare game indeed. I expect wind to be the issue and I expect our running game to make the difference because we WILL have the edge there.

There is a way to combat Clay Matthews off the edge and that sweeping move into the backfield. I saw Steve Young do it time and time again against Charles Haley in the '94 NFC Championship game. We found that weakness and exploited it all game long. I just hope there's some institutional memory inside 49er HQ and braintrust.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
They will attempt to establish the run, fail, and then do what NCommand predicts: spread us out and go into a hurry up passing mode with four or five receiver sets. This will fail.

It doesn't look like there's any rain in the forecast next weekend, but a January game without those famous Candlestick whipping winds is a rare game indeed. I expect wind to be the issue and I expect our running game to make the difference because we WILL have the edge there.

There is a way to combat Clay Matthews off the edge and that sweeping move into the backfield. I saw Steve Young do it time and time again against Charles Haley in the '94 NFC Championship game. We found that weakness and exploited it all game long. I just hope there's some institutional memory inside 49er HQ and braintrust.

Staley got destroyed against Matthews and will need help. CK7's athleticism should help some. You bring up a very good point. We can play against his aggressiveness (although he was prepared for Webb, a similar style with his legs - he said he needed to be patient, contain the edge and take his shots rushing when he could). That said, when he does come, Staley needs to make sure he pinches him INSIDE this game to where Iupati is and even design a few plays where Staley holds him inside for a second, releases and run CK7 off that edge while Staley and a pulling Boone are downfield blocking for huge gains. We want Matthews second-guessing and playing on his heels. C.Woodson is the other key man we need to focus on as Capers always does a great job of bringing his S's down (hiding them) in the box and blitzing and stuffing the run for TFL's...I've always wished we'd use Goldson/Whitner more like this as well.
If they get up early, ala Seattle,we will be in for a long day. We can trade scores but we can't fall behind by more than 14. Alot is going to depend on how our right side stops the run. If we can, they will be forced to play one dimension on offense. If we can't, the play action game is going to open us up to some potential big plays and quick scores. Call me Mr. Obvious but Justin Smith's tri is probably going to decide how this game goes.
WR lined up in backfield for swing passes and dump offs

See Cobb and adjustments they made last time
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
WR lined up in backfield for swing passes and dump offs

See Cobb and adjustments they made last time

We'll see a lot of these on first downs and runs on 2nd downs when we take out Soap.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Randall Cobb out of the backfield, just like the Vikings did with Harvin. Then throw it deep to the guy being guarded by TB because he's wrongly or rightly given up some bad PI calls downfield.
Watch the dumpoffs to their RBs
Watch the short screens to their WRs (Cobb)
Watch the slant or simple out pattern to Finley.

Packers will try their best to dink and dunk to victory with the occasional deep shot.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Watch the dumpoffs to their RBs
Watch the short screens to their WRs (Cobb)
Watch the slant or simple out pattern to Finley.

Packers will try their best to dink and dunk to victory with the occasional deep shot.

He'll probably drop it. His hands are awful.

Randall Cobb is Green Bays most explosive player. They line him up everywhere. He scares me.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Staley got destroyed against Matthews and will need help. CK7's athleticism should help some. You bring up a very good point. We can play against his aggressiveness (although he was prepared for Webb, a similar style with his legs - he said he needed to be patient, contain the edge and take his shots rushing when he could). That said, when he does come, Staley needs to make sure he pinches him INSIDE this game to where Iupati is and even design a few plays where Staley holds him inside for a second, releases and run CK7 off that edge while Staley and a pulling Boone are downfield blocking for huge gains. We want Matthews second-guessing and playing on his heels. C.Woodson is the other key man we need to focus on as Capers always does a great job of bringing his S's down (hiding them) in the box and blitzing and stuffing the run for TFL's...I've always wished we'd use Goldson/Whitner more like this as well.

On the other end, I wouldn't be surprised if GB tries to come out doin what NE did in the second half. GB may come out in no huddle which concerns me. Our DL will be gassed by the 4th unless we can get off the field. If I were playing the 9ers, I would go no huddle from the start because we don't substitute DL or hardly anyone.
Question:

Why are we thinking of ways we can be beat for the world to see?
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Question:

Why are we thinking of ways we can be beat for the world to see?

Please tell me you're joking.

Yup. They're gonna definitely try to use a lot of no huddle on us. I wouldn't be surprised if they just start using it right off the bat. I can see them mixing runs into their no huddle (shotgun draws for example).
Share 49ersWebzone