LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Niners to sign Clark Haggans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Solid pick up.
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
why can'y grant go outside temporarily?... Yes, i know this is not madden, but he does have the size and can take on blockers.

Think about that.

Bad idea, Grant already backs up Bowman AND Willis. If signing Haggans seems like a desperation move, moving Grant over to outside linebacker would be an act of extreme desperation.

How would you feel if Grant got injured playing a position he shouldn't be playing in the first place? Where does that leave our depth at MLB?
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Sep 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM ]
travis laboy 2.0
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
travis laboy 2.0

lets bring back Roderick Green! Damn You Nolan
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
travis laboy 2.0

lets bring back Roderick Green! Damn You Nolan

Green was dope, but the coaching staff hated him.
Nice knowing you, McBath.
[ Edited by barako on Sep 2, 2012 at 2:44 AM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Link please.
Originally posted by barako:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Link please.

"This football team's a joke, and I'm the lead comedian
Two more sacks and I'm cutting Roderick Green again"

there is a reason why he was in the lyrics....Green would do good, then we'd cut him....then bring him back, and he'd do well again...then we'd cut him.

although not the same thing like what we did to poor Willie Middlebrooks who we traded for to get John Engelberger off the team
Thanks.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Think about that.

Bad idea, Grant already backs up Bowman AND Willis. If signing Haggans seems like a desperation move, moving Grant over to outside linebacker would be an act of extreme desperation.

How would you feel if Grant got injured playing a position he shouldn't be playing in the first place? Where does that leave our depth at MLB?

Well, who is to say what the coaching staff is thinking? You may feel that is a bad proposition, but Harbaugh and staff are the type to put the best players on the field. Look at our LG, Boone. We have no real good backup tackle except him, but they moved him, if one of the tackles go down, boone is sliding out and one of the others will slide into guard.

Think about his job, yes it is to back up the MLB position, but he is a backup and is meant to back up a player when another goes down if he is the best option, he could get hurt on ST too. You can't be afraid to use a player cause he is gonna get hurt, players are gonna get hurt all the time, even in practice, so what, we shouldn't practice because they gonna get hurt? What about Dobbs, he got hurt, so to minimize, you not going to play him at DE or TE?

Who knows, if one of the OLBs goes down the coaches may even move Willis to OLB temp, with his speed, he maybe able to get the sacks, although he lacks exp.
and it is unlikely, but grant did do a credible job inside filling in for Willis last year.

BTW, the article said the niners are set to sign Haggans, but I don't believe it is a done deal yet as of this writting.

The niners did address the issue in the draft, and after, unfortunately they got hurt and didn't get to develope.

Good but I would like to hear we are getting a OT as well. Our online depth is awful.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:
Good but I would like to hear we are getting a OT as well. Our online depth is awful.

As long as we have depth offline, we'll be ok.

In all seriousness, I don't think Leonard Davis is that bad as the third string tackle.

It would take injuries to Staley or A.Davis and Boone to force someone else to play tackle.

When your first and second string tackle gets injured, any team will have problems.

The O-line isn't even close to as needy as OLB right now. It's a state of emergency there. The only two guys we have to play the position right now were injured in preseason. Hell, Aldon was stabbed relatively recently!

Just ONE injury at OLB and we have NOBODY to play that position. That's a real depth problem.
At this point I hope Brock is cut before McBath/Robinson. I would trust either of them in coverage over Brock.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genz22:
At this point I hope Brock is cut before McBath/Robinson. I would trust either of them in coverage over Brock.

Eh, neither of them looked much better to me. I am not a fan of Brock... at all. I just think you should be careful what you wish for.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genz22:

Seeing how McBath can play CB if absolutely forced to and Brock would be inactive next week anyway I would hope it is this as well. Spillman even comes in as the the extra DB on goal line situations so our safeties seem to be more of a priority.

I am even one of the people who want us to keep Brock as the #5 CB but he has to be more expendable at this point. Hell we can probably re-sign him in a couple weeks anyway lol.

EDIT: Realistic cut is Garret Celek - Dobbs is our #3 TE and Celek is more replaceable if he is claimed off waivers.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 2, 2012 at 7:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone