LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Would Peyton have been a better fit than Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
If the question is better FIT, then the answer is no.

please make that make sense

Makes perfect sense to me. See the answers above. To summarize: When taking into account cost, value, team structure, team members, coaching philosophy, and offensive philosophy (among other things), I believe that Smith is the better fit for THIS TEAM TODAY. Would I take Smith over Manning in a vacuum? Hell no.
Originally posted by Oscar:
In a nut shell I think that Harbaugh and Alex Smith are the perfect Head Coach/QB combo because Harbaugh can control every detail of the game, including when to go deep. Richard thinks that you need to get the best players, regardless of scheme.

What do you think?

Listen via iTunes

Listen on the Web

I dont think that Harbaugh is on the sideline controlling Alex's every move via PS3 controller. I would hope that if someone breaks open deep that Alex has the prescence of mind to throw it deep regardless, because it is the right decision. I dont think harbaugh says "hey alex, throw it to crabtree on this next slant." But the answer to the question is obvious considering how Good Peyton looked against us. I know Denver has a better o-line, but no qb on our roster has looked that in controll and comfortable. I think if we had peyton, he would have adjusted to our o-line by now.
Originally posted by cciowa:
funny. lots of alex smiths threads around here were locked and restarted because posters were told" we need to move forward". I guess people can post whatever they want to post but like las vegas willy said. Its over can we move forward please and stop revisiting a useless past?

This Please
couldn't afford him
I think people are misunderstanding the question. It's not "Is Peyton better than Alex?" Well yeah no s**t...Peyton is arguably one of the best QBs of all time. The question is would he be BETTER FIT?

I'm not so sure he would be. I think part of the reason Harbaugh is successful is that his players (i.e. Alex) really buy into everything and follow his lead. Would Peyton do that? Not so sure. Not saying Peyton is a diva by any means but the guy was basically the offensive coordinator in Indy. Probably the same type of role in Denver. Harbaugh and Roman need "system" guys like Alex. Obviously Alex isn't the ONLY type of QB that can play for Harbs...I'm sure if Harbaugh had Rodgers, Brees, or any one of these other guys who are successful yet still "moldable" if you will....that would work too. But Peyton? Not so sure that would "work."
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I think people are misunderstanding the question. It's not "Is Peyton better than Alex?" Well yeah no s**t...Peyton is arguably one of the best QBs of all time. The question is would he be BETTER FIT?

I'm not so sure he would be. I think part of the reason Harbaugh is successful is that his players (i.e. Alex) really buy into everything and follow his lead. Would Peyton do that? Not so sure. Not saying Peyton is a diva by any means but the guy was basically the offensive coordinator in Indy. Probably the same type of role in Denver. Harbaugh and Roman need "system" guys like Alex. Obviously Alex isn't the ONLY type of QB that can play for Harbs...I'm sure if Harbaugh had Rodgers, Brees, or any one of these other guys who are successful yet still "moldable" if you will....that would work too. But Peyton? Not so sure that would "work."

lol, Andrew luck wouldn't in JHs system too right?
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Same question, different words. Do you want red zone TD's or another Akers record setting season?

I think if we had Peyton, it would be a seamless transition into our offense. Crabtree is a route running WR that thrives in Peyton's system. Manning to Moss? Wow.
[ Edited by TheNef77 on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM ]
so Jed is always saying this or that fits or doesn't fit,he can answer the question
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Exactly.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

It's not about pure skill in this case. It's about a system. Is Peyton a better QB than Steve Young? I would argue that he is, but Steve young was better within the west coast SYSTEM.

This isn't an argument about pure skill and if you're fixated on that you're missing the point. This is a discussion about how a QB would fit within a team's coaching and offensive structure.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Can't speak too much about Manning cuz I don't follow him like I do with Niners players. He seems to have given control of the offense more than any other qb because he's capable. Looks like he's doing the same thing with Denver. I agree that Harbaugh/Roman may not give up most control to Manning in this regard.

With Alex Smith you get almost the total opposite. A lot have been said about Smith, including he's a coach killer. But in all seriousness he's actually a coach's dream. From the time he was a draft prospect to now, his character has always been to do what the coaches tell you --even if it means he may not understand or like what they want him to do. He's a soldier.

Different ways but I think we can win with either one. Taking into account the dynamic of the coaches and the team, I'd would rather take Smith. Talent wise he's not on the level of Manning but going by last year he's pretty good also and still has room to improve.

There are two huge issues with signing Manning: (1) money, and (2) he is a very iffy long-term solution. Just look at his contract with the Broncos. It can be viewed as either a $18 million one-season tryout, or $66 million three-season deal. The Broncos had no solution at the QB. Elway wanted to get rid of Tim Tebow, and had cap money to burn. Signing Manning isn't a risky proposition. Even if the Manning experiment fails this year, the Broncos won't be that much worse off.

The 49ers are in a different situation. Harbaugh likes Smith. Baalke believes that Smith can be at least a solution in the short-term. If Manning expressed strong interest, they probably would work something out, but with tighter cap room, the 49ers could not go into a bidding war with the Broncos and the Titans. The team has a good fan base that it does not need to drum up further with a star player like Manning.

I think the outcome is for the best. Signing Manning would make this season a huge pressure cooker for the 49ers. It'll be SB or bust. Manning goes down with a season-ending injury will have a huge demoralizing effect, the equivalent of a gambler losing all of his chips on a single hand.

We'll see how long Peyton lasts this year. We had backup linebackers starting our preseason game. With Aldon in there, it would've been a different story. If Peyton goes down, Denver is going to have paid a very heavy price for nothing. Watch when they play the Steelers, Texans and Raiders during the regular season. There's a chance he could get tackled pretty hard in Week One against the Steelers if Denver's passrush doesn't hold up.
[ Edited by Psinex on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM ]
Any ALL PRO QB is better then Smith, Im starting to buy into what everybody has said all along this defense carried Smith's a$$ all year last year creating turn overs after turn overs & giving the offense great field position. Put Alex Smith of 2011 on the Arizona Cardinals & he doesnt even come close to winning 5 or 6 games. The game manager label STAYS until i see him take the next step. Like Jerry said earlier in the offseason "Its time for Harbaugh to take off the diaper of him" & if he is a REAL NFL QB then start playing like one

There shouldn't be a reason this year to hold him back he has ALL the talent a Pro Bowl QB needs, just imagine what Tom Brady would look like in this offense with all these weapons? Other QB's like that would kill to be surrounded by talent like that (except for Manning he only cares bout $$$$$$$$)
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Any ALL PRO QB is better then Smith, Im starting to buy into what everybody has said all along this defense carried Smith's a$$ all year last year creating turn overs after turn overs & giving the offense great field position. Put Alex Smith of 2011 on the Arizona Cardinals & he doesnt even come close to winning 5 or 6 games. The game manager label STAYS until i see him take the next step. Like Jerry said earlier in the offseason "Its time for Harbaugh to take off the diaper of him" & if he is a REAL NFL QB then start playing like one

There shouldn't be a reason this year to hold him back he has ALL the talent a Pro Bowl QB needs, just imagine what Tom Brady would look like in this offense with all these weapons? Other QB's like that would kill to be surrounded by talent like that (except for Manning he only cares bout $$$$$$$$)

Would Joe Montana have succeeded in a the Mike Martz 7-step offense?
Makes perfect sense to me. See the answers above. To summarize: When taking into account cost, value, team structure, team members, coaching philosophy, and offensive philosophy (among other things), I believe that Smith is the better fit for THIS TEAM TODAY. Would I take Smith over Manning in a vacuum? Hell no.

I get what you are saying, but with that logic you could also say that Trent Dilfer was a better fit for the Ravens in 2001 than Peyton Manning would have been. It just doesn't sound right to me.
Originally posted by DirtyP:

I get what you are saying, but with that logic you could also say that Trent Dilfer was a better fit for the Ravens in 2001 than Peyton Manning would have been. It just doesn't sound right to me.
Dilfer started 8 games for the 2000 Ravens and had one GW drive - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2000.htm

I don't agree with the analogy.
Share 49ersWebzone