LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Would Peyton have been a better fit than Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is Peyton the better QB? No question.

But at what price? The salary he commands mean you have to sacrifice the ability to resign players like Bowman and other important pieces of the team. It also means Harbaugh has to deviate from his offensive philosophy so that Manning can play his style. Would their egos be able to coxist?

And would we have a chance to win it all this year? Sure. But those chances diminish every year thereafter because of the salary cap constraints and as Manning ages he's going to be less and less effective. And his neck could go at any time. The way this team is built right now they have a chance to get better every single year and I think I like that better.
no doubt.

but what would we lost on defense long term if we did get Peyton? Bowman? Goldson?
It's already a done deal - PLEASE move on!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
funny. lots of alex smiths threads around here were locked and restarted because posters were told" we need to move forward". I guess people can post whatever they want to post but like las vegas willy said. Its over can we move forward please and stop revisiting a useless past?
yes
should this thread should have been a poll?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
This thread usually would have been locked ...just saying
This

Originally posted by captain_planet:
aaaaand this
Yes, don't forget

Montana
Steve Young
Brady
Elway
Marino
Troy Aikman
Roger Staubach
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Peyton would have broken the 49ers salary cap. We would most likely have been playing for a Super Bowl now, and then been in salary cap heck afterwards. And if Peyton got injured?
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
This thread usually would have been locked ...just saying
This

aaaaand this

Usually like to listen to these, but this one must be skipped.

Maiocco said it long ago : http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Manning-makes-no-sense-for-49ers-with-Sm?blockID=623916&feedID=5936

.. and I always felt that there were too many issues in the way of Manning ever joining the Niners. The cost is too great... the mobility that Jim and Greg want for their scheme... the control that Jim wants vs what control Peyton would want... the injury concerns...

So NO... I don't see Manning as a better fit.. at all.. and this is such a beaten horse that could do nothing but further invoke the QB insults that help to divide this forum and cause discord among the inmates.

If you want to argue that his salary wouldnt have made Peyton a better fit, I will not argue. Its a very valid point.

If you want to argue that ______ (something other than salary) wouldnt have made Peyton a better fit, I wholeheartedly disagree. A HOF quarterback or Alex is a laughable choice to have to make.
There's not doubt Peyton is a vastly superior QB but as far as "fit" and long-term assessment, I'm actually happier with Smith under center.

Our o-line, as well all know, can break down from time to time and Smith's mobility helps him to evade getting crushed.

As others have pointed out, I couldn't foresee the dynamic between Manning and Harbaugh lasting.

Lastly, the media frenzy and ultra-pressure expectations of Manning in SF would likely be a pretty big distraction for the team.

With Smith, the Niners still get to relish the underdog role, plus he is far younger than Manning and gives them more than just a 1 or 2 year window.
If the question is better FIT, then the answer is no.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
If the question is better FIT, then the answer is no.

please make that make sense
Share 49ersWebzone