LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 203 users in the forums

WHY I AM NOT TRIPPIN... YET

Shop Find 49ers gear online
also saw a "real play" the play where like 5 different players went in motion, then hit crabs on the slant. he slips but still makes the catch for about 10 yds.
I ain't trippin cuz its pre season
Yes, it seemed pretty clear that Harbaugh was going with total vanilla while Denver seemed more interesting in trying to look good in front of a national audience. I did think the Vernon play was a response to the onside kick too. Also, the deep ball to Randy Moss was for effect. He was triple covered - no way Alex makes that throw in real life. He was told to throw it deep to Randy Moss just to show that they are capable of doing it. It's all a big psyche out with Harbaugh.

While watching the defense (appear to) struggle has been a bummer, we have to look at that in context. Down a couple starters, no gameplanning, and not a real game. The defense has been so hyped up over the offseason that it's easy to forget that much of their success came as a result of a total team effort - the offense not turning the ball over and special teams playing awesomely. All of that breaks down in the preseason when the goal is evaluation and not winning the game.

I'm SLIGHTLY worried about the defense just because I was hoping to see nothing but 3-and-outs, but I'm expecting a return to their 2011 level once the games count.
I ain't trippin because we haven't seen any "LET IT ROLL, LET IT ROLL" from Alex Smith yet.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
also, according to other fans, Harbaugh told Tramaine Brock to play s**tty on purpose, so he can surprise the Packers come week 1.

WEEK 1 COME FASTER

What fans? I can't imagine harbaugh doing that. Not saying you're lying, just saying whats the point of competition then. Basically says anyone signed has no chance at making team. Brock hasn't looked good at all, not even in 2011 IMO. And on the biggest game for us, he gets blown by Manningham. I swear Brock needs to go.

And he is a RFA at end of 2012, and he isn't worth a $1.26 million tender.

Brock is a bum.
I'm still not concerned. Frankly, I am concerned about injuries in meaningless games.
Agree on Brock - send him to the guillotine then pick up the BPA from the roster cuts.
If there's anything I've learned in the last few years about the NFL, it's that you really shouldn't get worked up about preseason. Yes, we say this EVERY year, but EVERY year there are posters drawing conclusions from a few half-quarters of work. If you need anymore proof of how unreliable the preseason is, look no further than the '08 Lions. Taking the outcome of a handful of plays and projecting that over a 16-game regular season makes very little sense for the reasons stated.

Bottom line, the NFL is the biggest week-to-week proposition in sports. We just wont know til the games really matter:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2012/08/study-nfl-preseason-games-havent-mattered-since-1994/1#.UDui5GmXRil
[ Edited by mickey49 on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM ]
Harbaugh is like belichik. Doesn't say much at press conferences to give anything away, nor is he going to show off anything during a meaningless preseason game. The only ones that have to show their worth (because they are still fighting for roster spots) are the backups, and they got the job done.

I can't remember it exactly, but one of the classic belichik comments was when asked why he thinks they lost the game. He came back with something like, "we scored less than they did" and pretty much left it at that.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm still not concerned. Frankly, I am concerned about injuries in meaningless games.
Agree on Brock - send him to the guillotine then pick up the BPA from the roster cuts.

Same here. I hope Harbaugh doesn't play ANY starters at all on Thursday. Just get the key guys fully rested and healed up and get ready for GB.
harbaugh treats pre-season like he treats press conferences. say "f*ck it", then just go through the motions.

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I ain't trippin because we haven't seen any "LET IT ROLL, LET IT ROLL" from Alex Smith yet.

Actually, he did...and the Broncos were all over it.
Watch the regular season highlights from last year. Alex Smith was doing great, the team was mainly in the lead after the first 3 quarters of the games. When the team would fall behind Alex would come through for the team. Alex smith being clutch. Yes we have a tougher schedule, it will just be more of a uphill battle to get back to where we left off in the NFCC game. I don't have a doubt in my mind that this team is STILL a contender this year.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
don't worry about player's "mental health". these guys are professionals.
Originally posted by boast:
don't worry about player's "mental health". these guys are professionals.

Thank you! There have been so many examples of teams doing well in preseason and then falling on there face in regular season or vice versa that the stats are meaningless this time of year. So, if folks want to jump on every bad or good play as proof of something, usually their own point of view, so be it!

Players know the difference and they usually know what they have, unless they are young and clueless or poorly coached...not a problem here!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thank you! There have been so many examples of teams doing well in preseason and then falling on there face in regular season or vice versa that the stats are meaningless this time of year. So, if folks want to jump on every bad or good play as proof of something, usually their own point of view, so be it!

Players know the difference and they usually know what they have, unless they are young and clueless or poorly coached...not a problem here!

alex had a good showing in games one and two. he did not have a great first quarter vs the broncos and neither did the line, the defense or the running backs,,, and yet he is singled out by so many who scream he has regressed. perhaps had it been any other quarterback than peyton manning on the other side that did so well,, we would not have seen the massive over reaction here?? just asking
Share 49ersWebzone