LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Bakhtiari dobbs and aj Jenkins improving

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Bakhtiari and Dobbs are solid backups at this point. I think AJ has the real ability to force himself into the lineup. He has dangerous speed and great hands.

He doesn't seem to have great hands thus far. He's had a few big drops.

He drops some easy ones but makes the tough ones... so I think it's just a matter of time to get comfortable and settle the nerves.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Bakhtiari and Dobbs are solid backups at this point. I think AJ has the real ability to force himself into the lineup. He has dangerous speed and great hands.

He doesn't seem to have great hands thus far. He's had a few big drops.

He drops some easy ones but makes the tough ones... so I think it's just a matter of time to get comfortable and settle the nerves.

You probably nailed it. His hands were glue in college.
Dobbs & Bakh will see the most playing time. AJ little by little. He'll be weaned into the position. Smart move.
would really like to see AJ go against Champ in the next game at least a few plays and throw in his direction, its only preseason..
  • bors
  • Veteran
with us being thin at olb,wonder what bruce miller would look like,he was a olb before moving to full back.just curious we do like to have our players go two ways
Originally posted by bors:
with us being thin at olb,wonder what bruce miller would look like,he was a olb before moving to full back.just curious we do like to have our players go two ways

Kinda forgot about this over the month's excitement. Might be too much to expect us to even keep a 4th rush LB when we could just go with Dobbs or Miller as emergency reserve.
Dobbs and Miller are great injury insurance! Not sure whether you keep fewer OLB because Miller can play there but it would make some interesting roster decisions. If Cam goes on IR they will have two ready made "rookies" next year with some experience with the team at OLB (with Fleming). That will help with the draft decisions and this team has been patient with injuries.

Bakhtiari is a feel good story but I'm not sure he makes the team. His experience and character would be nice to have. I'm curious about K Brown, who looked interesting against Minnesota and would like to see more of him. Have not seen Miller playing OLB this preseason, but have not watched the D very carefully.

Jenkins looked really good in Houston. On many plays he was leaving his defender well behind...may have surprised the QBs. I don't care if he bulks up, he's 6' 190 which is a decent size/weight ratio for a WR. Receivers need to get open and catch the ball...and I think he will really excel once this coaching staff gets him up to speed. Fun to look forward and wonder who the WRs will be in a year or two. Jenkins and Williams starting? Moss and Manningham? Crabtree? The team now has a group of receivers who should prove to be NFL caliber. Can't think of any year when I was this excited by the receiving group (in recent memory).
Dobbs and Jenkins are keepers. Bakhtiari has the most sacks these past 2 preseason games and has looked decent but he might be the odd man out. Dobbs standing at 6'6" who can play multiple positions. Jenkins showing speed and hands, our future WR.
Originally posted by slidingswhiz:
Dobbs and Jenkins are keepers. Bakhtiari has the most sacks these past 2 preseason games and has looked decent but he might be the odd man out. Dobbs standing at 6'6" who can play multiple positions. Jenkins showing speed and hands, our future WR.

Just as an FYI, Dobbs is actually just a shade over 6' 2".. but he can still be useful as a DE or rush LB in a pinch.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=64983&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE
Share 49ersWebzone