Players that need to go

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Boobie Dixon
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
No worries.
49rz4Life is obviously... "disturbed"
am still waiting for his list of players who are better than the ones he would cut
Originally posted by cciowa:
am still waiting for his list of players who are better than the ones he would cut

Yeah, sure ideally we would have an all pro LT and RT but you can't cut players until you have replacements. It's a good way to end up at the bottom of the standings. Just like those who wanted to get rid of Crabtree before last year and then we ended the season with him, Joe Hastings and Swain.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yeah, sure ideally we would have an all pro LT and RT but you can't cut players until you have replacements. It's a good way to end up at the bottom of the standings. Just like those who wanted to get rid of Crabtree before last year and then we ended the season with him, Joe Hastings and Swain.
i may be missing something but i really thought staley has been pretty good for us, davis grew up alot and did not take many steps back wards last year.... especially starting at about the halfway or 3/4 way part of the year?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
alex smith

I guess someone wants to forfeit this season.
i may be missing something but i really thought staley has been pretty good for us, davis grew up alot and did not take many steps back wards last year.... especially starting at about the halfway or 3/4 way part of the year?

He was saying they were bad. I am saying they are solid, above average to good but they certainly aren't all pros. So of course you could do better but like we said you have to have replacements that are sure fire before you move good solid players. Teams in the past have cut solid players to start youth movements or to save money and you end up on the basement floor because of it. Staley and Davis are with us for the long haul and it would be hard for any 3rd tackle to unseat them. Our best shot Boone is now at RG. Too much invested in those guys as well to replace them.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:

He was saying they were bad. I am saying they are solid, above average to good but they certainly aren't all pros. So of course you could do better but like we said you have to have replacements that are sure fire before you move good solid players. Teams in the past have cut solid players to start youth movements or to save money and you end up on the basement floor because of it. Staley and Davis are with us for the long haul and it would be hard for any 3rd tackle to unseat them. Our best shot Boone is now at RG. Too much invested in those guys as well to replace them.
agree ten fold. I never thought to much about this issue untill the team fired mooch. i realized they fired him and never had a solid plan in place to bring someone in better and look what happened.As you said its one thing just to say "cut his ass", but if you do that you better damn well have a plan or have players coming in who are better than the ones you cut. thank you for your example of crabtree. when i get on my trading crabtree rant,,, i will stop and remember what you said and how it turned out last year for us.crabtree does make my head hurt sometime but i am not willing to cut him or trade him and "hope", the rookie or some flavor of the month will be better than he was. I always appreciate good posters like you who giave me something new to think about. lets cut alex and lets "hope " or "assume" one of the other three we have will be better
agree ten fold. I never thought to much about this issue untill the team fired mooch. i realized they fired him and never had a solid plan in place to bring someone in better and look what happened.As you said its one thing just to say "cut his ass", but if you do that you better damn well have a plan or have players coming in who are better than the ones you cut. thank you for your example of crabtree. when i get on my trading crabtree rant,,, i will stop and remember what you said and how it turned out last year for us.crabtree does make my head hurt sometime but i am not willing to cut him or trade him and "hope", the rookie or some flavor of the month will be better than he was. I always appreciate good posters like you who giave me something new to think about. lets cut alex and lets "hope " or "assume" one of the other three we have will be better

Alex is another good example... sure he isn't the best QB in the league... he's probably middle of the pack but until we have a solid replacement he is our best option. Same thing that happened with Crabtree.... guys were shouting before last year start Kaepernick he is better than Smith. Well, now we are seeing Kaepernick wasn't ready last year and he still isn't ready. Sure we could put him in but we would be doing a lot of option runs and he might make us a bit one denominational. Also, rolling him out to the right every time doesn't work either. We tried it with Alex as a rookie. It cuts the field in half and it's tough to be accurate on the run. Alex is 1st getting that down. Same with Kap... I think he won't be ready until he can stay in the pocket and pass comfortably. Sure you can roll guys out every play or do options all the time but it makes you predictable. With Kap he will be most lethal when he can do all 3 well. Think of the way he runs the option and picture him being on the money when he rolls out and now if he can stay in the pocket as well the guy would be lethal.

As for Crabtree it's still early yet but he's young and has gotten better every year. He hasn't shown up the best in big games but he's getting better. I just think too many people thought of him as the second coming of Jerry Rice. He had too high of expectations from the get go. Plus holding out and how much he got didn't help matters but he's been solid for us. We don't have a permanent #1 or 2 so trading him wasn't an option. Think of how good we would have been going into last year with Morgan and Ginn as starters... (that would have scared people even less) Kyle as the #3. We would have been down to Hastings and Swain as the starters and John Matthews as the #3 by the end of it all.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM ]
JH needs to go-- having a coach who carries off his players like a woman and gets headaches from just yelling @ scab refs is obviously too weak to cut it in the NFL...

Brock may be gone--but only if someone beats him out. Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Cox?

Dixon should be gone...just does not add enough--except for comedy in the locker room.

Cartwright needs to have his name called every time the STs play. Costanza was always where the action was and usually making the special play that made our STs so special...Rock needs to do that or be gone. Can't believe how small the guy is for a ST demon!

K Williams is up against some really stiff competition so he needs to continue to impress the coaches or Palmer/Owusu/? will take his spot.

J Johnson may be the odd man out as he has not really proved much...though he is competing with guys who already have a year on the team...so he may come on later in the preseason.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM ]

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Joe Staley, Tremaine Brock,Goldson, Anthony Davis.

We are well stocked every where else. Always thought Staley was overrated, yea I said it, nobody else will. He gets thrown around like a rag doll and we're not here to run out of the pocket which seems to suit him well since he only looks good on the move or run. Tremaine takes disturbing angles on receivers but has speed but what good is it if you don't know what your doing.( not to mention the blown play in last years Giants playoff game) Goldson will crack the snot out of your nose but his coverage is disturbing and in crucial moments we cant have you breaking the necks of your own teammates just to make the highlight reel. Anthony Davis has his flashes but hes definitely never looked like a 1st rounder yet alone a second and thats a problem.

staley and Anthony davis have been excellent i dont see either of them getting thrown around at all the only person who got thrown that game was iupati... and that was just on one play

And even if they had been, we cut them and start green O linemen and have zero depth.

Really, sometimes I just have to smh.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
Josh Johnson. let Kap and God get as many reps as possible in these next two preseason games. JJ is still the same inaccurate and overthrowing QB he was with Tampa Bay the past few seasons.

Originally posted by SFan49ers:
here my list as of now

WR Swain
QB Tolzien
TE Reuland
WR Williams in the end he will be cut

I would not be amazed if every one of these make the final roster. Swain may get the bullet as we are stacked, but we are hardly stacked at te.
how does cutting brock make us better?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Josh Johnson
boobie dixon
swaine
Brock

Originally posted by DirtyP:
how does cutting brock make us better?

he sucks
[ Edited by ImaMod on Aug 19, 2012 at 9:11 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone