LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Preseason Week 1: Thoughts after Re-Watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by toeshawn:
You rewatch the tv broadcast?

Yeah. DVR.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
2) I don't think he played poorly (although his QB rating was 66). It was more of a case of being impressed by Tolzien. I do think Kaep looks really unnatural out there tho and it seems the only time he plays well is when they are running the Pistol. AGAIN tho...not taking a stand here. I could change my mind next week. Just immediate thoughts.

EDIT: Oh...and I think the only QB who would be traded is Kaep. Thats based more on the fact that teams KNOW the Niners would have to get rid of one and they only one who I think generates alot of interest is Kaep (mainly because of age, athleticism, and what teams thought of him pre-draft).

4) As far as I know he didn't run any official time with the 49ers. I think someone (it might have been him) said that he COULD run 4.3, but I don't think anyone has timed him. Moreover, the team would never announce what time he ran. It may be "well documented" that people SAY he hasn't lost any speed, but that CERTAINLY was NOT on display on Sunday at the Fanfest. I would absolutely LOVE to be wrong in this regard, but I can only comment on what I've seen.

8) Aquitted doesn't mean he didn't do it. From what I read he got off based mostly on lack of evidense. He could be innocent. He could also be guilty. He's iffy to me because I just don't know and that's a sore subject for me. That ain't cool. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's still in the back of my mind.

Wasn't he running more of a spread option? because i've seen kaep play in the pistol in Nevada and it didn't look similar to what roman was running against the vikes.

I like what i saw from Kaep, he is certainly improving. I was re-watching the game and was playing it in slow motion and you can see him going through his reads on several plays. This was something that he lacked last preseason.

Hrmmm....looked ALOT to me like what he ran at Nevada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkTn_icpWVI
Actually, no it doesn't. The formations are different.

BTW, those are some nice highlights. Im looking forward to watching him in play in preseason game #2

OK...we'll agree to disagree. The formations are slightly different, but it is still predominantly a run option offense based on misdirection.
2) I don't think he played poorly (although his QB rating was 66). It was more of a case of being impressed by Tolzien. I do think Kaep looks really unnatural out there tho and it seems the only time he plays well is when they are running the Pistol. AGAIN tho...not taking a stand here. I could change my mind next week. Just immediate thoughts.

EDIT: Oh...and I think the only QB who would be traded is Kaep. Thats based more on the fact that teams KNOW the Niners would have to get rid of one and they only one who I think generates alot of interest is Kaep (mainly because of age, athleticism, and what teams thought of him pre-draft).

4) As far as I know he didn't run any official time with the 49ers. I think someone (it might have been him) said that he COULD run 4.3, but I don't think anyone has timed him. Moreover, the team would never announce what time he ran. It may be "well documented" that people SAY he hasn't lost any speed, but that CERTAINLY was NOT on display on Sunday at the Fanfest. I would absolutely LOVE to be wrong in this regard, but I can only comment on what I've seen.

8) Aquitted doesn't mean he didn't do it. From what I read he got off based mostly on lack of evidense. He could be innocent. He could also be guilty. He's iffy to me because I just don't know and that's a sore subject for me. That ain't cool. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's still in the back of my mind.

Wasn't he running more of a spread option? because i've seen kaep play in the pistol in Nevada and it didn't look similar to what roman was running against the vikes.

I like what i saw from Kaep, he is certainly improving. I was re-watching the game and was playing it in slow motion and you can see him going through his reads on several plays. This was something that he lacked last preseason.

Hrmmm....looked ALOT to me like what he ran at Nevada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkTn_icpWVI
Actually, no it doesn't. The formations are different.

BTW, those are some nice highlights. Im looking forward to watching him in play in preseason game #2

OK...we'll agree to disagree. The formations are slightly different, but it is still predominantly a run option offense based on misdirection.

Do we even entertain the option of using a Kaeper package here & there for fun?
Nice job by The big boy Jacobs. They brought him in to be the short yardage guy and he was 4 for 4 on those carries. Four first downs. The weakness is ging to be the secondary. They did not look good. Part of that I think was the inability of the D line to get the QB on the ground after puting pressure on him.
I think part of the secondary's lack-luster performance was largely due to Justin not being in the game.

I've mentioned it before that our secondary really improved because of the pass rush. I still believe it.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think part of the secondary's lack-luster performance was largely due to Justin not being in the game.

I've mentioned it before that our secondary really improved because of the pass rush. I still believe it.

Honestly, the defense didn't even look like they were trying.
I still think Jacobs runs too "tall" up the middle. Yeah, he looked good and made some good plays on Friday, but I saw the low hits just trip him up and it seems like if he ran just a couple inches shorter he'd have a lower center of gravity and grind out some more yards with his legs instead of falling forward. Hope they stay on him about that, but he is 6'1" so it may be tough.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Offense

- Well it's clear, they worked on countering the run-blitz in camp. It was clear the 49ers want to run even when you run-blitz. It always seemed the 49ers had blocking in the right place to counter that defense. Well looks like Harbaugh and Roman learned from last season first preseason game. Good.

- WRs weren't used all that much. It was a extremely vanilla game plan and unless a WR was wide open down the field, it looked as if we weren't going to risk anything.

- There are two starting RBs on this team. It's been a long time since that was the case - like "The Million Dollar Backfield" days since we had two starting NFL proven RBs. And looks like Hunter is ready to prove there are three. It was great to see running as a bigger strength which leads me to ....

- QB play was good. Smith was efficient and I don't frankly care HOW they score as long as they score TDs and convert 3rd downs reliably. Smith is a very dangerous play-action QB.

Defense

- Understand the arm-tackling.

- Secondary still having some communication rust

- When Aldon and Justin aren't playing, the DL gets pushed around a bit.

Pretty astute.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

This.

Roman the mad genius, I think will find a way to get him on the field. Not as a Smith replacement, but another weapon to confound defenses.
Originally posted by OldJoe:

This.

Roman the mad genius, I think will find a way to get him on the field. Not as a Smith replacement, but another weapon to confound defenses.

I think its too early to tell. Preseason is for practice. Who know's if we run the option at all this season, regardless of whether CK is starting a game or not.
ONE preseason game. Let's settle down a little bit.

Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
I still think Jacobs runs too "tall" up the middle. Yeah, he looked good and made some good plays on Friday, but I saw the low hits just trip him up and it seems like if he ran just a couple inches shorter he'd have a lower center of gravity and grind out some more yards with his legs instead of falling forward. Hope they stay on him about that, but he is 6'1" so it may be tough.

Actually I think he's 6'4".
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by OldJoe:

This.

I think its too early to tell. Preseason is for practice. Who know's if we run the option at all this season, regardless of whether CK is starting a game or not.
ONE preseason game. Let's settle down a little bit.

I think we will. But that's mainly based off of... Was it last years eagles game? When they sent in CK near the end of the half but then had to call a time out. Its like how the wildcat was succesful when used as a surprise package. Purely hypothetical but let's say it's a close game with 30 seconds left in the half. The defense probably is a prevent nickel or dime, toss in CK for a play or two (no huddle) and hit the run option against a D with pass personnel to get into field goal range. Any and all points matter.

And then if the game is still close, you could do the same play and while the D is looking for the option, you got CK who can throw 60+ yards to deep threats like ginn, moss and MM. Might not be an every game package but it could be used for the games that matter more.
That run by Smith in the Saints game... they ran that a few times during the season also. But they might try it with Kaep and run it from further out like mid-field. Kaep can turn that corner faster and have sustainable speed to take it all the way.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
That run by Smith in the Saints game... they ran that a few times during the season also. But they might try it with Kaep and run it from further out like mid-field. Kaep can turn that corner faster and have sustainable speed to take it all the way.

From the look of that run against the Saints, Smith could have gone all the way 50 yards out. Staley took care of the guy who had the realistic chance of pushing him out of bound. Two other guys were 6-10 yards away.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

yup they ran it once against the browns

but the thing is kaep has great top speed snd decent acceleration he doesn't change direction paticulary fast and not doesnt really cut well he also inst paticulary big

he is only going to be an effective runner in open space i dont think he has the ability to really dodge tackles or make anyone miss

he will be good maybe once in a while but i dont think using him in wildcat a couple times a game will be very effective

quite honestly i would rather use him to throw the ball of fake runs (roll out) then actually run the ball
Share 49ersWebzone