LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Stock Up or Down? Updated through all 4 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
And I have said to others who argued we keep Colin Jones for ST (because he really serves no purpose at SS) is that we have one of the best ST in the league and we already have a bunch of ST aces. We use our 1st stringers on PR so we have Bowman and Goldson, we have Spillman who is an ace, we have guys like Dixon or Cartwright, Gooden and Grant, etc. It's not like we are bare at ST. I would agree and put Thomas and McBath ahead of him but like I said I don't think any of those 3 are out of it. A lot could depend if we got 4 CBs and add an extra S because in previous years we would bring in Reggie as a 3rd S instead of 5th CB. Or we used him like a CB.... I'm wondering if we would do that this year and bring in Spillman or Robinson as the extra DB in dime packages instead of Brock.

Thomas is the answer to that question. He can play both 3rd CB and safety, also I think he can play a goal line DB role similar to Spillman.
Originally posted by sfout:
Thomas is the answer to that question. He can play both 3rd CB and safety, also I think he can play a goal line DB role similar to Spillman.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he is the final guy and Jones, McBath are gone... I for sure think he makes the practice squad if he clears waivers.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he is the final guy and Jones, McBath are gone... I for sure think he makes the practice squad if he clears waivers.

just check 49ers.com roster and we list McBath as CB, I do not recall hearing he is well versed at CB but if he is then Jones is definitely on the outs.
just check 49ers.com roster and we list McBath as CB, I do not recall hearing he is well versed at CB but if he is then Jones is definitely on the outs.

I think in an interview when he got him he said he played some CB at Texas Tech... not sure if he played any CB at Denver or with us so far... I am thinking no.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran

I think in an interview when he got him he said he played some CB at Texas Tech... not sure if he played any CB at Denver or with us so far... I am thinking no.

still though keeping Thomas as a S/CB hybrid with McBath as an extreme fallback seems more likely then Jones sticking. :/
For me, Moss stock down. If he is so good tutoring other Wrs, hire him as coach cause da man gets no separation when running routes. I would have picked up gaffney already and ditched Moss.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
"A right-ankle injury forced him out of a Dec. 19 win over Pittsburgh, and he was inactive for the final two weeks of the regular season. After a first-round playoff bye, Ginn returned in the 49ers' playoff game against New Orleans, only to sustain a right-knee injury that required minor surgery."
Cam Inman, "Ginn's injury could vault Williams into return role — again"

Ginn's also missed early and late off-season training time due to injuries.

With the Niners' wealth of talent, will the coaches want to retain Ginn as a oft-injured returner when he has yet to prove himself as a receiver?
yes they will, untill we get someone in here who can return kicks on a consistant basis, ginn stays. You do not cut him and not have a plan for someone to return kicks as well as the guy you just cut. i think williams can do the punts but will not know for sure untill we see him do it a bunch of times in a row,. who exactly has stepped it up in the kick return game this off season to back up ginn?? no one so ginn stays, bad ankle and all in my opinion
Kendall Hunter can return kickoffs. He had a 26.0 yd. average (as did Williams) last year to Ginn's 27.6 yd. average.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Kendall Hunter can return kickoffs. He had a 26.0 yd. average (as did Williams) last year to Ginn's 27.6 yd. average.

He is too valuable as a runner.
Kendall Hunter or Kyle Williams will be the kick return guys if Ginn is down and Kyle Williams will return the punts.

Jogr49, It's only preseason and we didn't even target Moss that much for a reason. He wasn't in the games much either. Should we get rid of Manningham because he didn't play much in pre-season? If you watch again on VDs long touchdown two defenders went towards Moss and left Vernon open. His presence alone will make him worth while not to mention his coaching. On top of that I will disagree and say the guy will contribute a lot this year. He's probably going to be our #2 WR to start off the year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM ]
I thought Trenton Robinson played really well last night...stock up on him IMO

Kendall Hunter or Kyle Williams will be the kick return guys if Ginn is down and Kyle Williams will return the punts.

Jogr49, It's only preseason and we didn't even target Moss that much for a reason. He wasn't in the games much either. Should we get rid of Manningham because he didn't play much in pre-season? If you watch again on VDs long touchdown two defenders went towards Moss and left Vernon open. His presence alone will make him worth while not to mention his coaching. On top of that I will disagree and say the guy will contribute a lot this year. He's probably going to be our #2 WR to start off the year.

Totally...was actually surprised we didn't develop anyone else behind Ginn/Hunter/Williams. We had James and a host of others and the coaches know how the fan base feels about Kyle and Ginn is oft-injured so....

Moss? I think he and Manningham are going to be contributing a lot more than people realize.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Totally...was actually surprised we didn't develop anyone else behind Ginn/Hunter/Williams. We had James and a host of others and the coaches know how the fan base feels about Kyle and Ginn is oft-injured so....

Yeah, James looks a little raw right now and not ready but like you said we could have tried Perrish Cox, Chris Culliver, Jenkins, Owusu, etc. Harbaugh won't care how we feel... as far as I'm concerned if Williams hold onto the ball I am comfortable with his abilities.
I still think Williams is way too aggressive catching punts.....dude seems like he's always chasing balls down.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I still think Williams is way too aggressive catching punts.....dude seems like he's always chasing balls down.

Don't like that at all. If he was aggressive and making plays back there taking some to the house it might be a different story.
Two guys I've focused on, one is Konrad Reuland, the garbageman. If the team passed more he would be a lock, but it does not, so some team may pick up a dependable pass catching TE. The other guy is Brock, I keep remembering the Championsip and the cushiion he gave Manningham on the late TD. He gives up too much space and he's on the smallish side. I'd be surprised if he makes it to the 53 man squad.
Share 49ersWebzone