LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by fly15:
you're weak

He soft on teh fair sex.

susweel knows how to treat the ladies.

Melted butter and clothespins.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
susweel knows how to treat the ladies.
what about the lotion on the back of luv
I still think that JJ is going to get cut or if lucky traded. Tolz is going to get snapped up if the niners try to sneak him onto the ps. Tolz, while i like the guy, until he plays against the 1st and 2nd stringers, you can't really assess the guys ability, its like a baseball player, they may look good at double a, triple a, but until he faces the magor league talent, you won't know if they are for real.

As far as Kaep, I think JH and Roman will play to his strengths, its not your fathers offense, even someone like Peyton was playing a lot of a variation of the spread type offense as compared to the conventional pro set. Like I said, you get CK in their with Moss, the Dis going to have to make some choices, double up on Moss or VD, and add Crabtree or Kyle or AJ means less people in the box. Opens up the run for whoever, Gore, Hunter or CK. place a spy on CK then one less defender playing the pass.

People forget, Steve had growing pains, but got better when given more exposure, even Brady and Aaron had growing pains, hope people remember that. However the more Kaep gets playing time, the more comfortable and better he will be. so here's hoping that we have a great many games under control by the forth quater so that Kaep can get his exposure and playing time.
Originally posted by dj43:
Barring injury, Smith is the year-long starter. After him, there is a mixed bag.

Tolzien clearly has a better field command than any of the other two competing for the #2 backup spot. He also has a better touch on the short passes. He has not always been as accurate as we would like but we also don't know how much of that is the receiver in the wrong place at the wrong time. Have to rely on the coaching staff for that decision.

Kaepernick has all these athletic talents but they are not coming out on the field yet. Though he has a big-time arm, he still does not put enough air under his deep throws to allow receivers to run under them. Hence, his arm strength is negated by his lack of feel for the deep ball. He also still puts too much heat on short passes as well. In short, he still needs a lot of seasoning. IMO, Harbaugh is keeping him in the #2 slot as a confidence thing as well as to support his draft position. The fact that he can be a very effective runner does not impress me as much as it seems to impress others. With all the RBs and WRs on the team now, I don't want my franchise QB taking off running 6-8 times/game.

Johnson will likely be cut in favor of another player at another position that is more valuable to the team as a whole. For example, I would keep Bakhtiari as a 4th OLB/ST where there is a lot of wear-and-tear than a 4th QB who may never see the field all season long.

I disagree about the running, Kaep is a big guy, so 6-8 times a game is okay providing he knows when to slide and protect himself. It will make the def. try and cheat to keep an eye on Kaep and every so often a mistake will be made that leads to a huge play if they do and lose track of their primary task. You probably don't want to play man coverage with a guy like Kaep in the lineup at QB.
Originally posted by WildBill:
I disagree about the running, Kaep is a big guy, so 6-8 times a game is okay providing he knows when to slide and protect himself. It will make the def. try and cheat to keep an eye on Kaep and every so often a mistake will be made that leads to a huge play if they do and lose track of their primary task. You probably don't want to play man coverage with a guy like Kaep in the lineup at QB.

Good point. I've noticed that Kaep is really mature about sliding and getting out of bounds. He could fight and get an extra few yards but he's smart about it. During the Broncos game is one of the first times Ive seen him take a good lick.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by WildBill:

Good point. I've noticed that Kaep is really mature about sliding and getting out of bounds. He could fight and get an extra few yards but he's smart about it. During the Broncos game is one of the first times Ive seen him take a good lick.

Yeah, I didn't see him taking a lot of hits in college, either.

He seems to have good field vision. Runs to open grass and takes good angles that force defenders to chase and not square up.

I could just be making that up in my own head, though. I haven't really tried to break it down and analyze it or anything. Just my impression from what I've seen.
Does anyone know why Tolzein (#3 QB in this game) went back out for the last series?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Does anyone know why Tolzein (#3 QB in this game) went back out for the last series?

Nope. It's a total mystery.

Must be some kind of ingenious plan by Harbaugh to confuse the Packers.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Nope. It's a total mystery.

Must be some kind of ingenious plan by Harbaugh to confuse the Packers.

yeah the commentators didn't mention anything at all, and I didn't see if either of the Matts said anything about it
Alex Smith
Colin Kap
Jeff Jarrett

Bump (4th preseason game).
AS
CK
JJ
ST
If Tolzien gets........

Anyone who has watched the entire preseason and thinks the order is anything other than Smith, Kaep, Johnson, Tolzien is a blind homer. Tolzien gets cut and likely makes it to the ps imo.
Alex
Colin
Who f**king cares if any one of these two were to see serious action the seasons over anyways
^^^ See above
Share 49ersWebzone