LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 390 users in the forums

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Crabtree was money on that last drive. 3 HUGE 3rd down conversions. It was beautiful watch.
He is doing his best Deion 1989 impression on the post game.
Michael Crabtree is EXACTLY what we need. We already have an explosive, big-play receiver in Vernon Davis. The problem was our third down production.

Did you notice that throughout the game, Alex Smith was hitting his targets with catchable balls, only for them to get dropped? When crunch-time came and we needed to move the chains, chew up some clock, and get in position for a finishing score... Crabtree got us those first downs.

THAT is what Crabtree's role in the offense is.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
amazing what being in training camp does right

he looks like a top 10 WR out there in terms of yards unfortunatly doesnt look like he will be a TD machine but i could easily see 1100+ yards around with 4 or so Tds

Currently on pace for 104 receptions for 1154 yards.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Michael Crabtree is EXACTLY what we need. We already have an explosive, big-play receiver in Vernon Davis. The problem was our third down production.

Did you notice that throughout the game, Alex Smith was hitting his targets with catchable balls, only for them to get dropped? When crunch-time came and we needed to move the chains, chew up some clock, and get in position for a finishing score... Crabtree got us those first downs.

THAT is what Crabtree's role in the offense is.

I predict that as this offense gets rolling, Crabtree will become more than just a very good possession receiver. After all, these receivers have only had two games now to begin to play together. As Roman gets a feel for how to work them, we will see more explosiveness.
I recognize that the comparison is blasphemous, but he's a bit in the Jerry vein, where he runs good routes and has great hands, but lacks the speed and height etc. Obviously Crabtree isn't the same caliber, but he's of a similar style and utility. He's not DeSean Jackson (burner), Calvin Johnson (Prototype), or Wes Welker (YAC). He's the same 'type' of receiver as Jerry.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I recognize that the comparison is blasphemous, but he's a bit in the Jerry vein, where he runs good routes and has great hands, but lacks the speed and height etc. Obviously Crabtree isn't the same caliber, but he's of a similar style and utility. He's not DeSean Jackson (burner), Calvin Johnson (Prototype), or Wes Welker (YAC). He's the same 'type' of receiver as Jerry.

Did you just say Jerry lacked speed? I really hope not.........
Originally posted by 49erbossdoggy:
Originally posted by mug0mug:

Did you just say Jerry lacked speed? I really hope not.........
hes not a burner but he does have that extra gear when being chased.
Originally posted by sfout:

he looks like a top 10 WR out there in terms of yards unfortunatly doesnt look like he will be a TD machine but i could easily see 1100+ yards around with 4 or so Tds

I have some bets with a friend:
Crabtree will have 1000+ yards.
Aldon will have 15+ sacks.
Moss will have less than 10 TDs.
The Aldon one is a gimme. The Moss one is unfortunately just a feeling a have.
The Crabtree one is beginning to look pretty solid now. Crabtree is an excellent WR.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Moss will have
The Crabtree one is beginning to look pretty solid now. Crabtree is an excellent WR.

crabtree is just entering his prime too
[ Edited by gold49digger on Sep 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM ]

Moss will have less than 10 TDs.

Most likely to win the Crabtree portion. You never know with sacks (Aldon), and the Moss portion is unlikely.
Someone said Alex Smith plays like Joe Montana and I jumped all over him. But I shouldn't have.

Montana was cerebral and unshakable, Smith is the same way.
Rice played very "fast". Quickly making a move after the catch. Catches with his hands. Good body control. Crabtree is similar in that way.
Someone said Alex Smith plays like Joe Montana and I jumped all over him. But I shouldn't have.

Rice played very "fast". Quickly making a move after the catch. Catches with his hands. Good body control. Crabtree is similar in that way.

ice said that before

and i have mentioned many times while saying it i was only mentioning their styles of play are similar not the actual qb play

i know it will be very hard to do but if smith wins 3+ SB we can officially have alex smith vs joe montana disscussions

The only thing is i really wish we got alex some continuity earlier
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 16, 2012 at 11:54 PM ]

ice said that before

and i have mentioned many times while saying it i was only mentioning their styles of play are similar not the actual qb play

i know it will be very hard to do but if smith wins 3+ SB we can officially have alex smith vs joe montana disscussions

The only thing is i really wish we got alex some continuity earlier

Give him an inch and he'll take a mile.....Go Niners....LOL
Another good game. He keeps moving the chains like that for a few weeks and he might make me a believer.
Share 49ersWebzone