There are 230 users in the forums

"Oklahoma" drills paying dividends?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Singletary thought if he drafted big meaty linemen he could just move the opposing teams defensive line. No creativity, no strategy just plain dumb football.

You gotta know your Xs and Os to be successful in the NFL. Even position coaches have their own playbooks in case they interview for a coordinator position. Harbaugh definitely knew what to do with the linemen Singletary lobbied for (Davis & Iupati). Harbaugh is already known in the league for having the most innovative running plays and blocking schemes.
[ Edited by 21SandersMoss84 on Jun 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM ]
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Singletary thought if he drafted big meaty linemen he could just move the opposing teams defensive line. No creativity, no strategy just plain dumb football.

You gotta know your Xs and Os to be successful in the NFL. Even position coaches have their own playbooks in case they interview for a coordinator position. Harbaugh definitely knew what to do with the linemen Singletary lobbied for (Davis & Iupati). Harbaugh is already known in the league for having the most innovative running plays and blocking schemes.

Lord. Please make the next three months go by fast.
The Nutcracker was ok if you wanted to put your players on IR or PUP and give your medical team more work. No, the game is tough enough than to submit your players to more physical harm. Nolan and Singletary have defensive mind sets and I'm sure they have more ability than most to eye the defensive player in a crowd. However, game plans and offensive philosophy were like advanced calculus to them. Singletary had the fire and Nolan had the GQ look but other than that they were 6-10 guys.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Didnt Singletary call it the Nut cracker? That drill was dumb. It also ruined Eric Heitmann's career

Heitmann's injury is another lasting legacy from Mike Singletary's infamous nutcracker drill. The exercise in which two players clashed into each other and tried to push the other one back, like a pair of mountain rams, resulted in a series of injuries. None more serious than Heitmann's; he felt a tweak in his neck after a nutcracker encounter in last summer's training camp.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/06/30/eric-heitmann-victim-of-the-nutcracker/

Our defense in 2011 was more physical (and a lot better) than our defenses before. I'd credit Fangio and the assistant coaches before I credit Signletary's lame drill that injured our players and ruined a starter's career.

this and I think I remember hearing that it was tossed out when Harbaugh got here because of safety issues. Singletary was a big dumbass, good riddance IMO.
Who cares about those stupid drills? Seriously, thats crap coach sing did during our days as a mediocre poorly coached team. Move on to the present, and keep your head pointed toward the future.
The problem with Singletary in my opinion, is that he didn't know x's and o's and couldn't get an offensive coordinator to who was any good to work under him. He was a hall of fame player, and maybe a good linebacker coach, but that's about it.
I can really only give possible credit for a couple of things. He helped seal the chemistry in the locker room and he helped make ours players extremely coachable.
  • WiL7
  • Veteran
IMHO if Singletary would NOT have been promoted as head coach and stayed on a linebacker/defensive position coach, then he may still be a coach on this team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WiL7:
IMHO if Singletary would NOT have been promoted as head coach and stayed on a linebacker/defensive position coach, then he may still be a coach on this team.
his ego would not permit that. as we know now,, he always had to be the center of attention. the man had to keep the spotlight on himself and it usually involved some type of illogical drama thought up on his part

Are "Oklahoma Drills" the same thing as the "Nutcracker"? I only heard Singletary use the term Nutcracker. If it is the same thing, it was stupid because all it did was wear down or injure our own guys instead of teaching game techniques and strategy
[ Edited by MiamiNiner on Jun 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Are "Oklahoma Drills" the same thing as the "Nutcracker"? I only heard Singletary use the term Nutcracker. If it is the same thing, it was stupid because all it did was wear down or injure our own guys instead of teaching game techniques and strategy

My understanding is that the nutcracker drill is man against man, while the Oklahoma drill is a running back behind a lineman against a defender whose job is to shed the blocker and tackle the runner. According to a report Singletary changed the nutcracker from the one he learned under Ditka. Ditka allowed the linemen to slip by or fool the opponent but Iron Mike turned it into violent Sumo.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/6549/nutcracker-drills-define-49ers-camp-singletary
Share 49ersWebzone