LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Defense not as dominant?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
His point is accurate...the offense has to help the defense. We can't put so much pressure on the D/ST next year...gotta have more long drives...win the TOP...and score more TDs.
We'll move the chains and score more TDs in yr two of this offense. That will help the defense with TOP and the pressure of having to make as many crucial stops. Fangio will likely dial up more pressure because of our improved offense and ability to score more proficiently. Perhaps the D will give up more statistical yards... maybe because opponents will be forced to air it out to catch up. That doesn't matter though... all that matters is winning enough games to get us into the playoffs... and hopefully more homefield advantage. We actually could still sneak up surprisingly on the league with less tight games and more blow-out type of games. Anything can happen.. I'm gonna lead on the side of optimism and expect better OL and receiver play. If that happens, our offense will not just be carefully efficient.. but rather pretty dangerous.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Jamie Dukes: " The Niners didnt win the game. The (insert team here) lost it."

An even better question would be Whats he gonna say if Alex is Superbowl MVP? lol

That the system used to pick superbowl MVP is going downhill and that the QB of the losing team should have gotten it.... lmao
Jamie refuses to give us any credit , the only time he said anything mildly positive about us, was after we beat the saints, and even then he would bash us on the mistakes made during the game ..dude will always nit pick and look for flaws and blow them out of proportion, ...guy is a pure 49ers hater
The defense should remain dominant since it's legitimately talented that's why the Steelers and Ravens have dominant defense's year in and year out because of they are talented.

It could be more dominant this season or less dominant this season depending on a variety of factors but at the end of the day it's still going to be dominant.

All those people like Dukes that are say "We're not going to sneak up on anyone", "We're everyone's Superbowl", or "Teams have tape on us now" are just plain ignorant to be polite.
We're playing better offenses next year and had a historic turnover ratio last year. The D is going to be statistically worse but still dominant.

Alex and the offense will have to step up next year. That part is true. We can't settle for FG's when the D/ST gives us a short field and Alex will have to answer the bell more this season, just like he did against NO in the playoffs. The changes to our roster will make that easier for him, which is exactly what I think Duke's next excuse will be - "Randy/VD/Crabtree(etc) made a spectacular play. Alex is just reaping the benefits of having an entire team built to cover up his flaws."

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
The defense should remain dominant since it's legitimately talented that's why the Steelers and Ravens have dominant defense's year in and year out because of they are talented.

It could be more dominant this season or less dominant this season depending on a variety of factors but at the end of the day it's still going to be dominant.

All those people like Dukes that are say "We're not going to sneak up on anyone", "We're everyone's Superbowl", or "Teams have tape on us now" are just plain ignorant to be polite.
i do not understand the phrase, "sneak up on people" it implies we resorted to alot of tricks and gimmicks on defense. If i recall we were very much meat and potatoes. we did not blitz much and still brought the pressure. we did not play any fancy dancy defense. we were in the right spots and we wrapped and tackled very well. The only thing we may not be as effective is when we brought aldon in to go along with justin creating a matchup nightmare for the other team . teams do have a full off season to work on that but not sure how you can counter something like that if both are playing at a high level.how can someone defense the way we execute the basic fundamentals so well?
The schedule is harder.

That's the only worry.
Originally posted by cciowa:
"sneak up on people" it implies we resorted to alot of tricks and gimmicks on defense.

I interpret this differently. I see the phrase as simply saying that opponents now KNOW that we are a good, solid team with a good chance of beating them.

( VS last year, where many teams were thinking we are a yr one team that has a ton of question marks and growing pains to answer for before we will be good enough to really make them work as hard as possible to beat us )
Originally posted by oldman9er:
"sneak up on people" it implies we resorted to alot of tricks and gimmicks on defense.

I interpret this differently. I see the phrase as simply saying that opponents now KNOW that we are a good, solid team with a good chance of beating them.

( VS last year, where many teams were thinking we are a yr one team that has a ton of question marks and growing pains to answer for before we will be good enough to really make them work as hard as possible to beat us )

So far... we are a one year fluke

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

So far... we are a one year fluke

Got no problems if the opposition wants to think that!
Hmm...defensive backfield could be much better with Culliver having a year under his belt and the addition of Cox. LBs could be better with Aldon having a year of experience and Willis being healthy. DL can't get better can it? Yes, the back ups have another year under their belts (although they didn't have to play last year so...?).

Also, the offense should score more and put pressure on other teams to score, keeping turnovers at a high level.

Plus--with a full training camp Fangio may be able to teach more twists to the D. If he can have more impact from blitzing...wow!

Is training camp opening tomorrow?
we will have a top 10 offense,and a top 10 defense.
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
we will have a top 10 offense,and a top 10 defense.

Honestly, If we have a top 10 defense and not a top 3 defense, I will be disappointed. There really isn't a hole in our defense. The biggest ? is at FS with Goldson, but he did have a good year last year (despite what people say).

And I'm not sure we will have a top 10 offense. I think more along the lines of 12-15.
We are already a 4th rank defense last year. I don't see why they can't improve even more. If they dropped closer to 10th or out of it, something is very wrong. I expect them to be in the top 5 defense again this year. Might be the top 3.
Share 49ersWebzone