LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

Is the 49er Championship Window Closing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ridiculous topic honestly.

Closed ....didn't know it had opened yet.
I think the team overall is in place to make a run for the next couple of years. But for me the BIG question is QB play. Can Alex Smith continue to improve under Harbaugh's tutelage.

He doesn't have to be great, but he sure the hell has to improve on 3rd Down and Redzone conversion. Last year's conversion rate was nothing short of embarrassing; almost pathetic (still REALLY annoyed at 1 for 13 first down conversion from last year's NFC Championship). And with the Niner scheduled to play more elite teams this year, it's imperative the offense be able to convert more TDs as there will be times the defense will break down when dealing with elite teams week after week.

Now that we have offensive weapons this year, this season and future ones, are totally dependent on Alex Smiths' play. He's either going to perform like a 1st round pick this year or he finally and truly needs to go.
They're young, they're pretty and can't possibly be beat!
This isn't even debatable the Window is just opening.
As long as Justin Smith is healthy the window is open. When he's not healthy and our O hasn't improved, WINDOW CLOSED!
Hmm...was the window open when:

Nolan rolled on the ground to mock injured players?
Singletary bared his *ss to the team to get his point across?
Raye used a game plan from 1968?

How about when Baalke and Harbaugh took over?

Many of the same players but there is a sense of intelligence in the game plan and in management now that bodes well! Whew! Wasn't sure I was going to live long enough to see the 9ers resurrected!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Many of the same players but there is a sense of intelligence in the game plan and in management now that bodes well! Whew! Wasn't sure I was going to live long enough to see the 9ers resurrected!

Im glad u made it.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Im glad u made it.

LOL! Thanks!
We have a 5yr window.

Originally posted by pen15clubmember:
As long as Justin Smith is healthy the window is open. When he's not healthy and our O hasn't improved, WINDOW CLOSED!

best username ever
Its unfortunate that it is closing for Gore and Justin Smith, but for the team heck no. Two great players who just hit their peak or are starting to enter the valley are not enough to say a whole teams window is closing. We just got the damn window open. Maybe the future replacement for Justin hasnt been found yet, but the arguement could be made that between Hunter and James we could have already made plans for the post Gore world.

This is a team on the rise...not one that has reached the promised land and is looking at a rebuild. I really hope we get one before Gore and Justin have to call it a day though...they both have earned the right to be a champion in their career a hundred times over, with dedication, class, work ethic and leadership.
Originally posted by drunk49er:
the only thing hilarious about it is you guys think its good enough to publish for general consumption

Thanks for your input!
Originally posted by dRtyrottencowboysfan:
Originally posted by drunk49er:
the only thing hilarious about it is you guys think its good enough to publish for general consumption

Thanks for your input!

i aim to please
Interesting that this is a topic, we just started making the playoffs again last year, how can the window close? if anything we just threw a rock threw the window, and busted in.
Share 49ersWebzone