There are 179 users in the forums

Ray McDonald most underrated player in the NFL.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19382983/overratedunderrated-sue-me-lions-fans-but-suh-is-more-hype-than-bite

Here is an article on the most underrated and overratted players in the NFL. Glad to see Ray McDonald get some love.
I think he's spot on. Although Suh needs to improve. He certainly can. Last year was more hype from the media than anything. He needs to calm his sh*t down and try to be a student of the game, play intelligently.

Ray Ray on the other hand. That dude was a monster for the first 3-4 games until he injured his hammy. That slowed him down for the rest of the year. Otherwise he would have been just as much a force as Justin Smith. If Ray and J. Smith can stay healthy next year, we might be talking about the best pair of DE to go along with the best LB duo in Willis and Bowman
Pretty interesting read during a boring offseason.

These two caught my eye and I haz a sad. (but we're doing alright anyway)

Underrated: C Brian De La Puente. He was a surprise starter, but did a nice job after beating out Kreutz, who retired. De La Puente is a battler.
Underrated: T Bryan Bulaga. He stepped in at RT and didn't play like a rookie in 2010, and played even better last year. When he missed time with an injury, it showed up on the Packers line.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think he's spot on. Although Suh needs to improve. He certainly can. Last year was more hype from the media than anything. He needs to calm his sh*t down and try to be a student of the game, play intelligently.

Ray Ray on the other hand. That dude was a monster for the first 3-4 games until he injured his hammy. That slowed him down for the rest of the year. Otherwise he would have been just as much a force as Justin Smith. If Ray and J. Smith can stay healthy next year, we might be talking about the best pair of DE to go along with the best LB duo in Willis and Bowman

He was on one of the most dominating defensive lines in Florida. I think there were bigger names drafted on that team but we didn't let him get by us. Awesome jump off the ball.
Originally posted by Joecool:

He was on one of the most dominating defensive lines in Florida. I think there were bigger names drafted on that team but we didn't let him get by us. Awesome jump off the ball.

He does have history of injuries. That's the worrisom part of Ray. In his early games last year, he was pushing his guys back and getting to the QB, and sometimes through double teams to collapse the pocket. It was crazy good for a little while there. Could have been his break out year last year. Hopefully this year.

A lot of people are thinking good things from Aldon Smith, but Ray may end up a dominate force on the other side.
Ray Mac was drafted by Nolan and Co. At least they could recognize talent.

EDIT: Joe Staley is overrated, so he hit the nail on the head with that one. Look what he wrote for Polamalu:

I still don't see what everyone else sees. He gambles too much. He's good. He's not great. That makes him overrated

[ Edited by niners4lyfe on Jun 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM ]
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Ray Mac was drafted by Nolan and Co. At least they could recognize talent.

EDIT: Joe Staley is overrated, so he hit the nail on the head with that one. Look what he wrote for Polamalu:

I still don't see what everyone else sees. He gambles too much. He's good. He's not great. That makes him overrated

Looking at pitt's d with Troy, and then seeing it look like a middle of the road defense withou him, leads me to believe Troy is great. That guy is everywhere making plays.
He does have history of injuries. That's the worrisom part of Ray. In his early games last year, he was pushing his guys back and getting to the QB, and sometimes through double teams to collapse the pocket. It was crazy good for a little while there. Could have been his break out year last year. Hopefully this year.

A lot of people are thinking good things from Aldon Smith, but Ray may end up a dominate force on the other side.
Yeah, the first few games he just dominated. Then he hurt his hammy and wasn't the same all year. Is that normal?

Also, has he been spotted working out like last year?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Yeah, the first few games he just dominated. Then he hurt his hammy and wasn't the same all year. Is that normal?

Also, has he been spotted working out like last year?

Hammy injuries can linger, especially tough with practices and a game every week during the season. He did missed a few games there but I think he came back and played through it.
Just one of those extremely talented guys that fall under the shadow of our elite defense. As a whole they tend to outshine individual greatness and get overlooked.

So be it. Superbowl soon.... very soon.

Ray Mac's best attribute it his reaction time and burst off the line. The eagles play where he sack vick as he hAnded off was incredible.
Ray Mac works in tandem with the line. He collapses the pocket consistently. I remember one play during the playoffs where he an Justin pancaked a QB (think it was Brees) and they're on top of the guy celebrating the sack.
definitely agree. this dude plays at a probowl level and gets no recognition. hes a huge part of our defense
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Ray Mac's best attribute it his reaction time and burst off the line. The eagles play where he sack vick as he hAnded off was incredible.

@6:12

One of my fav plays from the D last year. Just completely shut everything down in the backfield so fast.
[ Edited by Youngb on Jun 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Youngb:

@6:12

One of my fav plays from the D last year. Just completely shut everything down in the backfield so fast.

Wow. Don't know if the play design was similar to a screen or what, but, if not, Ahmad Brooks and Ray McDonald BEAT their blockers badly.
Share 49ersWebzone