LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

49ers Wide Receiver Assessment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Omg, te and wrz arr teh suuxxooorrzzz!!!!
Oldman9er--do you mean to tell me that this year's receivers are not automatically better than last years? And that if Smith doesn't make them all catch the ball better, limiting drops, that he isn't a good QB? I mean, just because Morgan had years to establish a rapport with Smith doesn't mean anything...Moss use to be great...when he wanted to be...so he is obviously going to be better than Morgan unless Smith fails!

So this is the year! Smith either earns a QBR of 150 or we cut him and put the great CK in at QB!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Three Years of Drop Rate: Wide Receivers

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/ ;

49ers fans (and Alex Smith) may want to look away when he sees the drop percentage of some of his receivers (new and old) as Crabtree, Mario Manningam and Randy Moss all rated poorly.

adding:

Three Years of Drop Rate: Tight Ends

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/03/three-year-drop-rate-tight-ends/

Let's start by looking at which players have dropped the most balls – Detroit and San Francisco fans may want to look away. It won't take much figuring out to realize thatVernon Davis and Brandon Pettigrew led all tight ends in the league, with 24 drops over the past three years.

Vernon did have a bad problem with drops, but, he has improved his pass catching tremendously.
I think the three year time span has skewed the picture of what really is today. He has become a very dependable target, especially late last season.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Oldman9er--do you mean to tell me that this year's receivers are not automatically better than last years? And that if Smith doesn't make them all catch the ball better, limiting drops, that he isn't a good QB? I mean, just because Morgan had years to establish a rapport with Smith doesn't mean anything...Moss use to be great...when he wanted to be...so he is obviously going to be better than Morgan unless Smith fails!

So this is the year! Smith either earns a QBR of 150 or we cut him and put the great CK in at QB!

Yes! Thank you! I thought I'd have to dial the number to have my sarcasm meter checked. Saved time FTW!
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Vernon did have a bad problem with drops, but, he has improved his pass catching tremendously.
I think the three year time span has skewed the picture of what really is today. He has become a very dependable target, especially late last season.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. This year, VD showed lots of improvement... especially down the stretch, which incidentally, was when he admitted that he was gaining comfort and insight into the scheme.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/ ;

49ers fans (and Alex Smith) may want to look away when he sees the drop percentage of some of his receivers (new and old) as Crabtree, Mario Manningam and Randy Moss all rated poorly.

adding:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/03/three-year-drop-rate-tight-ends/

Let's start by looking at which players have dropped the most balls – Detroit and San Francisco fans may want to look away. It won't take much figuring out to realize thatVernon Davis and Brandon Pettigrew led all tight ends in the league, with 24 drops over the past three years.

Agreed! Drops have been a HUGE issue for this team...even Gore couldn't catch a cold last year (thank God Hunter could though). But Alex & VD have a tremendous chemistry together and it really showed last year. VD has worked very hard - he still jumps to make basket catches which slows him down (its unnecessary) but I'm confident he will keep working on his hands and running through the catch. It will be interesting to see how Moss, Manningham, LMJ & Jenkins do this year in this category.

adding:

He still has a bad problem with drops. His thing is he is not very good at catching certain routes or situations that require him to fully extend.
Originally posted by NCommand:

adding:

Agreed! Drops have been a HUGE issue for this team...even Gore couldn't catch a cold last year (thank God Hunter could though). But Alex & VD have a tremendous chemistry together and it really showed last year. VD has worked very hard - he still jumps to make basket catches which slows him down (its unnecessary) but I'm confident he will keep working on his hands and running through the catch. It will be interesting to see how Moss, Manningham, LMJ & Jenkins do this year in this category.

Sadly, it looks like Moss and Manningham will just add to the drops! They may be able to make up for it though when they make great catches or have YAC.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Why is Manningham so underrated around here?

He may not have had a 1500 yard season, but he almost had a 1000 yard season a few years back and scored the most TDs (on the Giants roster) against us in 2011, as well as hauling in that spectacular super bowl catch -- except for Moss, I don't know anyone on our roster who made such an elite reception in his career.

Look forward to what the HAMmer can do for us.
I would say that referring to Manningham's one catch, as many have here, invites such skepticism.
Originally posted by Joecool:

adding:

He still has a bad problem with drops. His thing is he is not very good at catching certain routes or situations that require him to fully extend.

Well he is also the only receiver on this team that consistantly draws double coverage and has safetys looking for a big hit. Not saying thats a good excuse, and i agree he is not really a natural route runner or catcher, but it has to be taken into consideration that alot of his drops are in deep routes with double coverage and safetys bearing down on him. He ha improved and will continue to do so as he seems to understand his weakness and limitation and continues to work on them.

adding:

Vernon Davis also led all NFL tight ends in touchdowns over that same three year span
Originally posted by DirtyP:
adding:

Vernon Davis also led all NFL tight ends in touchdowns over that same three year span

Hey, don't kill the messenger... I'm just posting some stats I read. I love me some Vernon, and expect more good things from him.
Hey, don't kill the messenger... I'm just posting some stats I read. I love me some Vernon, and expect more good things from him.

I was just eluding to the point that a lot of times stats, especially ones like drops, don't really tell you a whole lot about a player
[ Edited by DirtyP on Jul 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:

I was just eluding to the point that a lot of times stats, especially ones like drops, don't really tell you a whole lot about a player

Oh, that's fair. If you are talking about as a team (vs as a player), then it can speak volumes. I forget the exacts, but we were a team ranked like # 2 in least amount of passes thrown... yet somehow we were also in the top 10 collectively of drops. So that is a stat that can tell us quite a bit.
I have ripped Michael Crabtree in the past... but for a few different reasons I think this year he's going to put up pro bowl numbers.
Share 49ersWebzone