LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Will Kaepernick become like Brian Brohm??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Kaepernick become like Brian Brohm??

Even though it is early, Kaepernick has had a whole off season to learn the playbook, so OTA's should be automatic for him. The other day I read how Tolzien was the most accurate out of all the qb's in practice and Kaepernick struggles. Now today I read that Kaepernick could not hit receivers all day.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/06/13/practice-notes-kaepernicks-wayward-williams-wows/

This is prescripted drills folks with no shoulder pads. QB's should be able to have a high completion % when they are wearing a jersey that says you cannot touch me and they no there is no contact. To flat out miss receivers two days in a row leads me to believe that Harbaugh will move him down the depth chart.

My new prediction is starting the season qb depth chart.

1. Alex Smith
2. Scott Tolzien- this way Tolzien gets more reps in practice. Hoping he is the UDFA steal of the year that Baalke got on the waiver wire.
3. Josh Johnson- veteran back up.
Man... I just don't know. I really like Kaepernick, and am certainly not willing to overrate the little bits of practice news that do seem to speak negatively about his performances so far. From what I have heard since day 1, CK has a strong arm, mobility, and the dedication that you want from a QB. So I have to think Jim can work with all of that and make him a good NFL quarterback.

If he doesn't work out, then I am at least pleased that we have other options in J.J. and Tolzien. A guy with NFL experience, and a young kid to develop along with CK.

Ultimately though, I don't think it will be Kaepernick keeping Kaepernick off of the field as our starter. I think it will be # 11 continuing to play well and probably getting better as he goes.
He may end up being #3, but I doubt he gets cut.
From what I've read, neither Kaep, Tolzien, or Johnson have done anything to distance themselves from each other. I'll reserve judgement on these guys until the preseason starts.

Stats from Wednesday practice (per G. Cohn):

Smith: 27-32, 2 TD
Kaep: 12-20, 1 INT
Tolzien: 11-20, 2 INT
Johnson: 11-23, 1 INT

So clearly, Alex has been the most impressive QB at OTA's. Kaep, Tolzien, and Johnson have all experienced some struggles. Now Kaepernick is under more scrutiny because he is the 2nd round pick. Still, we should be patient and see what he does in a game before we declare him the next Brian Brohm.
I don't think harbaugh would let him go that early. Maybe next year, but this is his first offseason workout. Let's see what he can do the rest of the way.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
From what I've read, neither Kaep, Tolzien, or Johnson have done anything to distance themselves from each other. I'll reserve judgement on these guys until the preseason starts.

So clearly, Alex has been the most impressive QB at OTA's. Kaep, Tolzien, and Johnson have all experienced some struggles. Now Kaepernick is under more scrutiny because he is the 2nd round pick. Still, we should be patient and see what he does in a game before we declare him the next Brian Brohm.

So true, game speed should in theory decide the qb depth chart. I probably was suckered by the following quote.

"Scott Tolzien may have had the best day of all the quarterbacks during 11-on-11 scrimmages. He threw a beautiful 15-yard pass to Mario Manningham on the left sideline, and he made a bunch of tough throws in the two-minute drill
Originally posted by 9erred:

So true, game speed should in theory decide the qb depth chart. I probably was suckered by the following quote.

"Scott Tolzien may have had the best day of all the quarterbacks during 11-on-11 scrimmages. He threw a beautiful 15-yard pass to Mario Manningham on the left sideline, and he made a bunch of tough throws in the two-minute drill

I'm REALLY excited to watch the back-up QB competition unfold. Do we end up keeping 4 QB's on the roster? The team likes Kaep, and Harbaugh loves Johnson. Tolzien still has practice squad eligibility, but he will surely get claimed if he's cut. I can't wait to see what happens.
CK's OTA performance seems to indicate he is working on details that need to be learned/improved, whereas Smith is fine tuning as a veteran should. I think you have to throw out stats from these practices because Harbaugh is keeping track of other issues--knowledge of the playbook, reaction to defenses, decision making; and is sure to know that a young guy will make slower decisions which will cause interceptions and missed throws...and that's fine during OTAs.

A good coach breaks down the QB practice to fundamentals and rebuilds each year--not too quickly, so the QBs can develop into TC, not during TC. The emphasis on red zone and 3rd down is really good for Smith but the others may not be quite as ready yet and need to hone their knowledge of the system and mechanics.

Remember, Smtih played 18 games last year, CK played a couple of plays, Tolzien none and Johnson a few in a different system.

Edit: Tolzien may be CK's version of Shaun Hill.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
so is the talk that is coming from some circles that Ck should just be given the job now fading away? sounds like he better worry about getting the number 3 job let alone worrying about trying to be number one
Originally posted by cciowa:
so is the talk that is coming from some circles that Ck should just be given the job now fading away? sounds like he better worry about getting the number 3 job let alone worrying about trying to be number one

Sounds like it. Those who wanted to let Smith go aren't looking too swift right now! LOL!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Sounds like it. Those who wanted to let Smith go aren't looking too swift right now! LOL!

yes his awesome cannon for an arm does not mean much if he can not complete passes, ask drunkinmiller. they actually did(and maybe still do) wanted to cut smith and just give the keys to CK. sheesh
Oh lord please no. I think Colin is more talented. Hope he gets it together.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Oh lord please no. I think Colin is more talented. Hope he gets it together.

It's way too early to tell. But there are some concerning things coming out. Like his pocket awareness and how he isn't putting any touch on the ball. But at the same time we drafted Colin knowing he was a project pick. It's only year two, and he still has time to sit and learn. Not sure if that's being the #2 or #3 at this juncture but I'm not going to make judgement until they put the pads on. One thing I do know is that injury's happen in the nfl so we do need someone no matter it be Kaep., Tolz. or Johnson to be able to step in if the unfortunate happens. One of these guys needs to solidify that spot.

Good thing about practice is QBs get to play against the best defense in the league, so they should put up better stats vs. other less-talented teams.

Very surprised AS's (spells a$$...haha) stats were so accurate. If this is any indication of his performance during the regular season, thank you for re-signing with SF (LOL at Manning still recovering in DEN).
[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM ]
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Good thing about practice is QBs get to play against the best defense in the league, so they should put up better stats vs. other less-talented teams.

Very surprised AS's (spells a$$...haha) stats were so accurate. If this is any indication of his performance during the regular season, thank you for re-signing with SF (LOL at Manning still recovering in DEN).

Maybe those mechanical fixes he has been working on are really helping. He was a very accurate qb in college. Maybe Colin should visit House himself.
Share 49ersWebzone