There are 293 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Never want to replace a guy doing the job until someone takes the job from him by outperforming him. If Harbaugh sees Johnson or CK really playing lights out and they prove it in preseason--great! But so far Smith is the best QB on the team and I don't see him giving up that role anytime soon. Very few QBs have that clutch gene when a game is on the line...Smith does. Montana was the master of this and one reason many did not appreciate Young was that he was not able to take over the ends of games. He learned to do so and proved to be a great QB. Not sure CK or Johnson will ever be that guy. But Harbaugh has my support and he knows a heck of a lot more than I do.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'm kind of over this dude for some reason.....

Shocking.

no doubt, my opinion changes like underwear.
I say that after watching Kaepernick out-gun his three fellow passers Monday in an amusing accuracy drill devised by quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst. From about 10 yards away, the four had to throw 10 footballs into a square pocket - maybe two feet by two feet - in the goal post netting. Chryst was measuring them on both accuracy and on how quickly they could fire out the footballs.

During the first go-around, both Kaepernick and Alex Smith got seven balls into the square. Kaepernick, however, did it a second faster than Smith. (Scott Tolzien was accurate on six balls; Josh Johnson got five in).

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/07/kaepernick-out-guns-teammates-in-accuracy-test.html#storylink=cpy

Good Stuff

His release and accuracy doesn't seem to be a problem.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
I say that after watching Kaepernick out-gun his three fellow passers Monday in an amusing accuracy drill devised by quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst. From about 10 yards away, the four had to throw 10 footballs into a square pocket - maybe two feet by two feet - in the goal post netting. Chryst was measuring them on both accuracy and on how quickly they could fire out the footballs.

During the first go-around, both Kaepernick and Alex Smith got seven balls into the square. Kaepernick, however, did it a second faster than Smith. (Scott Tolzien was accurate on six balls; Josh Johnson got five in).

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/07/kaepernick-out-guns-teammates-in-accuracy-test.html#storylink=cpy

Good Stuff

This was why Harbaugh had drafted him (more than his overall agile abilities), Jim held Kaep to a similar 'throwing' contest during his 'Pro Day' at Nevada.

No s**tting, Kaep possibly has 'physical tools' far superior to even Cam Newton (something not a lot of QBs who even turn out to be 'busts' have had), but the fundamentals/mechanics/transition within his rookie-to-second-year has been a bit of a question mark.

Although I (myself) am weary of how this will turn out, I also think people are being a little too hard on the kid; I remember Aaron Rogers couldn't even throw a pass his first two years in preseason without 'staring down' his receivers (was not pretty) cause he was so afraid of NFL safeties (like every young QB transitioning from the NCAA).

Good Stuff

but but the expert analysts on this site say kaep's release is horrible and slow

i don't know who to trust, harbaugh or webzone members, tough call
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
but but the expert analysts on this site say kaep's release is horrible and slow

He has a little bit of a funky side arm release but not slow. Just different.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Good Stuff

This was why Harbaugh had drafted him (more than his overall agile abilities), Jim held Kaep to a similar 'throwing' contest during his 'Pro Day' at Nevada.

No s**tting, Kaep possibly has 'physical tools' far superior to even Cam Newton (something not a lot of QBs who even turn out to be 'busts' have had), but the fundamentals/mechanics/transition within his rookie-to-second-year has been a bit of a question mark.

Although I (myself) am weary of how this will turn out, I also think people are being a little too hard on the kid; I remember Aaron Rogers couldn't even throw a pass his first two years in preseason without 'staring down' his receivers (was not pretty) cause he was so afraid of NFL safeties (like every young QB transitioning from the NCAA).

Hopefully when his time comes he will be ready and explode ala Rogers or Newton like.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Good Stuff

I agree, with everything you posted.

We will have a better idea come preseason as to how he is transitioning, but until then, i will remain cautiously optimistic.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

CK, LMJ, and Jenkins are the future of this team, IMO. Alex has 3yrs to win a ring. Which means CK has 3yrs to improve under the QB Guru known as Jim Harbaugh. I have faith in Jim and what he can do, and I have faith in CK. Everyone says CK is raw, and since we have JH, I find that to be a good thing. Id prefer that he ride the bench and learn from the sidelines instead of get thrown into the fire and lose his confidence. It takes time. Everything will fall into place. He has the talent, now it just needs to be molded. JH is building a bomb. Because between Jenkins, LMJ, and CK, there is a ton of explosive power waiting to be unleashed. If there's two things CK does well, its get out of a broken plays and throw well on the run. Just give him time folks. CK is the future of the franchise.

Originally posted by martysofresh:
CK, LMJ, and Jenkins are the future of this team, IMO. Alex has 3yrs to win a ring. Which means CK has 3yrs to improve under the QB Guru known as Jim Harbaugh. I have faith in Jim and what he can do, and I have faith in CK. Everyone says CK is raw, and since we have JH, I find that to be a good thing. Id prefer that he ride the bench and learn from the sidelines instead of get thrown into the fire and lose his confidence. It takes time. Everything will fall into place. He has the talent, now it just needs to be molded. JH is building a bomb. Because between Jenkins, LMJ, and CK, there is a ton of explosive power waiting to be unleashed. If there's two things CK does well, its get out of a broken plays and throw well on the run. Just give him time folks. CK is the future of the franchise.

Good Post
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I don't get why this dude has some haters, he hasn't proven anyone right or wrong yet
Originally posted by martysofresh:

Good Post

Well said. That building a bomb sht gets me hyped for the future
Quote:

Good Stuff

If you read the bottom of the article, the drill finished before Smith did the last part of the drill... That puts CK and Smith in a tie, since you can only compare them on the portion of the drill they both completed... He definitely outgunned JJ and ST, though.

Not starting a war here, just pointing it out.
Originally posted by English:
He has to prove he is a better option than Smith before he gets handed the keys. The pre-seasons should be interesting.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
thats pretty dumb i mean for example peyton ahs only won one SB a long time ago (2007 was it) no one tries to replace him

i mean if we do good and are playoff team and contendors then you dont replae your qb
I disagree, not saying Kaep is ready yet, however. Just the statement. Brady replaced a pro bowler, Rodgers replaced a hall of famer. Neither of which Smith is at this point in time. Sometimesyou have to look to the future and take a chance. That of couse is dependent on the ability of the HC to make a wise decsion because he is a good evaluator of QB talent. Do you believe in Harbaugh and Chryst? For all we know Tolz might sneak in there.
Share 49ersWebzone