LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
At least those awful mechanics were able to complete some passes down field. By "some" errant throws, you mean "one". Everything else was on the mark.

No it wasn't just "one" and everything else wasn't on the mark. He was 5/9. He wasn't able to make single throw while standing in the pocket. The one time he tried he got sacked because he couldn't pull pull the trigger and missed open receiver. I am sure his throwing delivery has nothing to do with it. And your right those "awful mechanics" were able to compete some passes down the field, Tim Tebow would agree. A whopping 4.4 yard average.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
According to Christian Gin who was at practice today, he was actually out performed by Josh Johnson and still looks like a project. I'm not real high on him honestly, I think Alex will continue to do well and lock up his job as starter for next few years, even has a good shot of winning a superbowl with us IMO.

Yeah your not high on him, lol he went 78 yards for a td, Threw a great out route to jenkins too, he needs to work on timing, but other than that shows great pocket presence. He's a runner like steve was, an a guy with a big arm, he just needs to be coach up sit and learn how to play. Last preseason he looked lost, He didn't this game, just needs some clip board time. But he needs to learn to become a passer, an once that happens he will be unstopable, I think jim is doing a fine job grooming him. No rush anyways, we have alex to start.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
I'm rooting for Kaep too. I am sick of watching #11. Kaep doesn't have to do much to eclipse his numbers and get some wins with this defense and special teams. Plus throwing to Moss downfield. I'd like to think he can do it. If not this year for SURE next.

seriously dude? you repeatedly keep posting this.

In the same manner in which you defend mediocrity at its finest. One can always hope, no?

i don't mind at all your love for Kaepernick. But you posted about him over smith 3 times in the other thread, and now posted it in this one. It seems your only agenda is to prance around and post about how boring Smith is, and how Kaepernick is the next best thing

Once again your SMITH tunnel vision misconstruing my disdain for poor QB play and wanting a better player to get the chance for a love for Kaep and a hate for Smith. You are the one with blinders on, not me. Smith looked pathetic in the first quarter but many say Smith looked great. Rose colored glasses if you ask me.

You honestly think Kaep is better than Smith right now? Have you not seen him play? He has horrible mechanics, just like Alex when he was young. Alex is lightyears ahead of Kaep at the moment. Heck, Kaep had an open WR in the second quarter and was late delivering the pass, about a second too late. That pass was almost intercepted.

Until Kaep makes a lot of progression, I'm sticking with #11.

OK, Smith is 8 years into this league. Give Kaep one full season and I think he will be better than Smith. Smith is not very accurate at all. Then the next throw to Jenkins was on the money a throw that Smith won't can't make. It isn't an apples to apples argument...at all.

One year? Kaepernick will turn the ball over at least 3x as much as Smith last season. Nonetheless, Kaep is a RUN FIRST QB. I, for one, do not want a Tebow Oriented offense. Kaep has some legs, that's for sure. But I don't want him behind center until he's thinking pass first and starts making better decisions.

That being said, Tolzien looks like a better QB then Kaep right now. He makes smart decisions, delivers the ball with accuracy, and gets the ball out fast. Tolzien is clearly the better QB right now. Kaepernick, however, is a more athletic QB.

I won't deny that either. I just want anyone other than Smith because he doesn't look nealry as good as Tolzien or Kaep. Kaep had more yards than #11. I just want someone other than the status quo because I don't think Smith is very good. I am entitled to that opinion but I still love the niners. No more disrespect if anyone felt any.

Yards... In a preseason game? Really? I mean... Really really?

You realize he had triple the amount of passes that Smith had, right? Smith had one drive. How many did Kaep have? Just stop.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

I see some Brett Favre, Jeff Garcia and randal Cunningham in this kid. Really look forward to seeing more of him!
"Possibilities," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "Colin gives you that. Colin gives you possibilities. He's got tremendous athletic ability, can operate really inside the pocket or outside the pocket."

Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
At least those awful mechanics were able to complete some passes down field. By "some" errant throws, you mean "one". Everything else was on the mark.

No it wasn't just "one" and everything else wasn't on the mark. He was 5/9. He wasn't able to make single throw while standing in the pocket. The one time he tried he got sacked because he couldn't pull pull the trigger and missed open receiver. I am sure his throwing delivery has nothing to do with it. And your right those "awful mechanics" were able to compete some passes down the field, Tim Tebow would agree. A whopping 4.4 yard average.

He completed several throws while in the pocket. He missed on two passes. He also made a bunch of great throws while on the run.
He did take some sacks which I didn't like, but nothing different from every other quarterback on the roster not named "Scott" wouldn't have taken.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
I'm rooting for Kaep too. I am sick of watching #11. Kaep doesn't have to do much to eclipse his numbers and get some wins with this defense and special teams. Plus throwing to Moss downfield. I'd like to think he can do it. If not this year for SURE next.

In the same manner in which you defend mediocrity at its finest. One can always hope, no?

i don't mind at all your love for Kaepernick. But you posted about him over smith 3 times in the other thread, and now posted it in this one. It seems your only agenda is to prance around and post about how boring Smith is, and how Kaepernick is the next best thing

Once again your SMITH tunnel vision misconstruing my disdain for poor QB play and wanting a better player to get the chance for a love for Kaep and a hate for Smith. You are the one with blinders on, not me. Smith looked pathetic in the first quarter but many say Smith looked great. Rose colored glasses if you ask me.

You honestly think Kaep is better than Smith right now? Have you not seen him play? He has horrible mechanics, just like Alex when he was young. Alex is lightyears ahead of Kaep at the moment. Heck, Kaep had an open WR in the second quarter and was late delivering the pass, about a second too late. That pass was almost intercepted.

OK, Smith is 8 years into this league. Give Kaep one full season and I think he will be better than Smith. Smith is not very accurate at all. Then the next throw to Jenkins was on the money a throw that Smith won't can't make. It isn't an apples to apples argument...at all.

One year? Kaepernick will turn the ball over at least 3x as much as Smith last season. Nonetheless, Kaep is a RUN FIRST QB. I, for one, do not want a Tebow Oriented offense. Kaep has some legs, that's for sure. But I don't want him behind center until he's thinking pass first and starts making better decisions.

That being said, Tolzien looks like a better QB then Kaep right now. He makes smart decisions, delivers the ball with accuracy, and gets the ball out fast. Tolzien is clearly the better QB right now. Kaepernick, however, is a more athletic QB.

I won't deny that either. I just want anyone other than Smith because he doesn't look nealry as good as Tolzien or Kaep. Kaep had more yards than #11. I just want someone other than the status quo because I don't think Smith is very good. I am entitled to that opinion but I still love the niners. No more disrespect if anyone felt any.

You realize he had triple the amount of passes that Smith had, right? Smith had one drive. How many did Kaep have? Just stop.

Colin is raw, With hugh upside. Of coarse he's going to throw more int's he's a gunslinger, alex is mr check down, adding to that, alex threw 1 TD 11 Ints as a rookie, took him 7 more years to figure out how to drive the bus. Colin will get to sit and learn, TIM TEBOW, please he has horrible mech, he still drops that arm and winds up when he gets tired, colin just needs more work on timing, because thats what the west coast is.. Also Tolzien is good but he's a number 3 in my eyes he can read defense better than colin, at this point, but colin came from a pistol an never played under center. Josh Johnson won't be making this team..
Originally posted by Whomeam:

We can agree to disagree. I think Smith is very average and that Kaep has more to offer. That's all, we're both Niner fans.
Originally posted by kush:
I see some Brett Favre, Jeff Garcia and randal Cunningham in this kid. Really look forward to seeing more of him!

Brett Favre and Garcia were very hard to sack, they had great pocket presence, and were gunslingers. I think Kaepernick is a mirror image of Randall (who amazingly also played at Nevada). Long, athletic, rocket arm, accurate.

When LMJ and Kaep were out there, those option plays we were running were scary.

That 15 yard out route to AJ Jenkins was an AMAZING throw to see in person. IMO no other QB on our roster gets even close to making that throw.

I just rewatched all of Kaeps snaps and I am extremely impressed. Great day for Kaep and certainly a lot to build on. Seeing all the negative remarks has me scratching my head right now...
That 15 yard out route to AJ Jenkins was an AMAZING throw to see in person. IMO no other QB on our roster gets even close to making that throw.

I just rewatched all of Kaeps snaps and I am extremely impressed. Great day for Kaep and certainly a lot to build on. Seeing all the negative remarks has me scratching my head right now...

Niner Talk.
  • Eeks
  • Veteran

Agreed. I thought he looked great!! One late throw, one dropped perfect pass, one out patern that he tried to squeeze in 2 min drill and a spike to stop the clock, so really he was 5 for 8 not including spike and should have been 6 for 8. Dont understand the Hate?!?! Tolzien looked good too as a poised QB going against 3rd stringers and Josh Johnson looked very good as well, but it is clear that CK is the most talented QB on the squad

People think that just because he CAN run the option, that this is all he can do. But he actually completed a lot of balls from the pocket (although they were of the all too familiar check-down variety). He took a very bad sack which he shouldn't have, and had a poor decision on one throw, another throw was incomplete out of bounds down the sideline to a blanketed AJ Jenkins.

Impressed with all the quarterbacks actually.
Alex Smith - Unquestioned starter and leader of the offense
Colin Kaepernick - Amazing athlete with great tools but still very raw; needs some work to be a legit NFL QB, but the potential is clearly there
Scott Tolzien - Solid backup and should be the #2; I wouldn't be worried if he had to step in and start if anything happened to Smith
Josh Johnson - Love the skills, athleticism and arm, but will only make the team if something happens to the 3 above
Share 49ersWebzone