There are 210 users in the forums

Crabtree's interview he said he ran a 4.4......Are people shocked by that statement?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
So Crabtree thinks he would have run a 4.4... okay. Well, I think I could have found the cure to cancer had I only tried.

Doesn't really matter what he or I thought of each possibility. Just matters if he can convince defenses that he's a deep threat. Whether he can do that or not, I'd settle for a solid possession receiver that can make the big receptions and get enough YAC when it counts.

SO glad to hear he is finally working with the team in the offseason. Best of luck, young man!
No he didn't say he thinks he can run a 4.4, he said he runs about a 4.4. Justin Blackmon ran a 4.4 at his pro day. Crabs has similar type of speed. He is a 4.4 guy. Observe...http://youtu.be/GKCuvk1iaX0

People in college are also a lot slower in average. But idc its only a stupid 40 time never has meant s**t. As Rice how important a 40 time was. I still like Mike and hope he breaks out with help at WR Finally
The major question is this, and always comes down to this:

Why isn't Crab a top WR???

I ask people all the time, and they say:

"2009....yeah, Crabtree was the one you had to draft. Not Maclin, Nicks, or anyone else out of that draft. He was the best receiver in college"

And the TWO (not just one) Fred Biletnikoff awards have to mean something.

Hakeem Nicks is probably the best receiver from that draft.....and he went #29 or so that year.

Come on Crab.....prove to us that you're the king of '09, while Alex proves he's king of '05!!
Originally posted by susweel:
yah right more like a 4.6

What a freakin liar. LOL....

More like 4.7
Originally posted by mjboot:
Only way he can run a 4.3 is with a bear behind him.

Downhill, with the wind, on a rubber track and with spikes, coming out of the blocks and hand timed and not electronic I believe he can maybe run a 4.4....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Downhill, with the wind, on a rubber track and with spikes, coming out of the blocks and hand timed and not electronic I believe he can maybe run a 4.4....

This, I believe it. I think that an athlete like Michael Crabtree can get himself to run a 4.4 under ideal conditions.

But that doesn't necessarily mean he's a speed demon on the football field. Some guys run incredibly fast on the football field, but are timed slow (Jerry Rice), while other guys are track stars, but plodders on the field.
By just watching his gait and turnover during games, he doesen't look like a short burst guy at all. 4.6 to 4.7 range is probably more accurate. Could be faster than he is quick, but he isn't about to run away from people either. But he's got great hands (when he's not dropping the ball....inane statement by Harbaugh) and is a rapidly improving receiver. Doubt he'll ever earn 10th draft pick status, but he'll be a good pass catcher none the less.
Originally posted by NCommand:
More shocked that he thinks he's a younger version of Moss than that...kid is delusional, clearly. So his 4.4 is probably a 4.7 at best.

I think he was talking about their personalities. Reading comprehension.
Coming out of college i liked Moss he reminded me of a black redneck , i liked the way he talked. Knew nothing else about him lol

GO
Wtf?
just run 'game fast' come game time, like Rice.

Originally posted by NCommand:
More shocked that he thinks he's a younger version of Moss than that...kid is delusional, clearly. So his 4.4 is probably a 4.7 at best.

correction, he said moss is an older version of him, so that means randy has been reverse swagger jacking this whole time.................. shame shame
I think Crabtree has Fitzgerald like speed. Mid 4.5 timed, but on the field a little faster. His speed is fine. Don't care if he's not Ginn-like, his other attributes matter more.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
The major question is this, and always comes down to this:

Why isn't Crab a top WR???

Multiple reasons.

1. The biggest one is NOT being a heavy participant in OTAs, TC, and preseasons of the past. That's huge. I don't know for sure if it's because he's lazy... or really hurting... or just felt that he was above all of the hard work and would shine without putting in high effort. But whatever the reason, he was frequently not shining out there.

2. His "fantastic" hands are not always fantastic. He did MUCH better last year hanging onto passes, but in prior years, he was having a hard time. Never seen a WR volley-ball-tip up more INTs. He would have passes bounce off his hands or shoulder-pads because he's turning to look downfield prematurely. Then, he would make outstanding snatches that remind you of his draft status.

3. The types of offense he has been in. How much can he really rack up in Singletary's boring power-run crap? Some want to blame the QB, but the QB was just an extension of Singletary's will.

4. Who are the weapons to take coverage away from Crabtree? Just VD, really... We never had a really good WR opposite of Crabtree that defenses had to key on. The problem with this goes to the next issue of

5. inconsistent separation. At times, Crabtree can juke that double move to get open behind DBs... not too often though. He was blanketed in the NYG game many times with single coverage. I don't think he often sells his routes well... and CBs are not afraid to play him tight.

( your ? may have been rhetorical... don't care... was bored just sipping my java )
If he's been looking like a 4.6 guy with a bum foot then if he's healthy I'll buy it. You know what drill they don't run with recievers that they really should? They have a guy run a 40 in shorts. Why not measure speed in pads? It's what matters. In addition they should make them run 10x40s. If you are a 4.5-4.6 guy in the 1st quarter and still a 4.5-4.6 guy in the 4th I think that is important. It is one of the things that made Jerry Rice so awesome. He had the endurance to keep it up all game.

All that being said. We didn't bring in Moss, Manningham and Jenkins because the team was content with Crabtree. Those guys clearly add something to our offense we don't have. Ideally crabtree will continue his improvement this season. He's upped his catch and yard totals each season so far. If he stays on track he'll break 1000 this season and catch 8-10 TDs. I'll put 5 bucks on that. If Crabtree can face the #2 guy in the secondary consistently he's going to do some damage.
[ Edited by VA49er on May 24, 2012 at 6:33 AM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
No he didn't say he thinks he can run a 4.4, he said he runs about a 4.4. Justin Blackmon ran a 4.4 at his pro day. Crabs has similar type of speed. He is a 4.4 guy. Observe...http://youtu.be/GKCuvk1iaX0

Funny that this video shows MC catching the ball behind the defense but being caught, not by one DB, but by two DBs short of the endzone. Love his game but don't care what he runs or thinks he can run, the only thing that matters is for him to return to TTech ability to get open and use those great hands. He will finally have enough talent opposite to take the D off his back.

Another thing I'm reminded of by the video is how many of his catches in college were short pick plays on or just off the LOS, with YAC being major...sets up his blockers really well.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 24, 2012 at 6:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone