LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

Justin Smith is a Monster (article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Justin Smith is without question the best 49er free agent signing ever. .....ever!!!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Ray Mac getting some love too.

If they can keep this rolling into the future one would have to include the 49ers in the same conversation with the great Bears and Ravens defenses.

gotta win a few superbowls first.
Originally posted by Garcia:
beast to the f**king mode

Originally posted by toeshawn:
Best smith on the team

agreed!
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Oh yea Niner!!!!! Repeat performance this year!!!

Fixed
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:
A penny for your thoughts...

4-3 BY

vs.

3-4 JS

Easy:

BY was the best 4-3 DT in the modern era of 49ers football and JS is the best 3-4 DE in the modern era of 49ers football. Two completely different positions that you can not compare each other to.

Justin Smith is more of a beast at 3-4 DE than Bryant Young was at 4-3 DT. Bryant Young was a beast, but never on the NFL defensive MVP level that Justin Smith was last year.
Top 10 Pass Rushing 3-4 DE performances

1. Justin Smith (SF), Week 1 vs. Seattle (+7.6)

2. Ray McDonald (SF), Conference Championships vs. New York Giants (+6.5)

3. Justin Smith (SF), Conference Championship vs. New York Giants (+6.0)

4. J.J. Watt (HST), Week 16 at Indianapolis (+5.7)

5. Justin Smith (SF), Week 10 vs. New York Giants (+5.1)

6. J.J. Watt (HST), Week 12 at Jacksonville (+5.0)

7t. Randy Starks (MIA), Week 3 at Cleveland (+4.4)

7t. Antonio Smith (HST), Week 2 at Miami (+4.4)

7t. Calais Campbell (ARZ), Week 14 vs. San Francisco (+4.4)

10t. Tim Jamison (HST), Week 6 at Baltimore (+4.3)

10t. Justin Smith (SF), Divisional Playoff vs. New Orleans (+4.3)

4 of the top 5 pass rushing performances by a 3-4 DE and 5 of the top 10.
^^^They completly forgot about the Week 4 Eagles game...He hustled hard behind the play, stripped the ball and won us the game. Best defensive play of 2012
[ Edited by artiga1 on May 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Justin Smith is more of a beast at 3-4 DE than Bryant Young was at 4-3 DT. Bryant Young was a beast, but never on the NFL defensive MVP level that Justin Smith was last year.

Bryant Young was certainly on the level of defensive MVP at 4-3 DT. He played that position just as well as Justin Smith plays 3-4 DE.

Bryant Young only had Stubblefield with him for one year. That was his rookie year, and ironically Stubblefield won DPOTY despite the fact that all the attention was focused on BY. BY freed up Stubblefield to have a great year facing a bunch of one-on-one blocking.

We have great talent along our defensive line now, BY didn't have that same kind of insane talent playing next to him on the D-line or linebacker. BY was the bulwark of our defense and had to deal with even more double teams than Justin Smith.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:
A penny for your thoughts...

4-3 BY

vs.

3-4 JS

Easy:

BY was the best 4-3 DT in the modern era of 49ers football and JS is the best 3-4 DE in the modern era of 49ers football. Two completely different positions that you can not compare each other to.

I would argue that BY played at a defensive MVP level in 1996 (75 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, 2 safeties, and 4 passes defended).

• Timma
  • Veteran
This is why this guy is my favorite Niner! Such a beast!
Justin, what that guy does is so amazing. I want to ask, is he at the same level as BY before he broke his leg or better, his bull rush, I did not see BY
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Justin, what that guy does is so amazing. I want to ask, is he at the same level as BY before he broke his leg or better, his bull rush, I did not see BY

BY broke his leg early in his career (1998). He was the 1994 DROY. Stubby was 1993 DROY.

He was dominant before the break. After that, he was still dominant but not the same.

Justin is at an equivalent level - Multi Pro Bowls, multi all pros.

Justin hasn't had a major injury like that.
f**k! I was so pissed that we allowed that last TD, especially the big play on that drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could have had a chance to allow the score to show the domination.
Share 49ersWebzone