LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Dobbs and Williams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes, and they'll have to get into the rotation this year or their replacements will be selected in the draft next year.

They both have good upsides and JH seems to like them in as much as we didn't pick up any FA or draft any obvious replacements.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Ta'amu apparently had a very poor performance at the Senior Bowl or one of the post season All-Star games. He struggled against some of the better All-Star D linemen in practice. I'm sure the Niners did their homework on him (including asking Tomsula what his take was) and finally decided not to invest a pick in him.

They may have thought that Ian Williams is better or has a higher ceiling or at this point, they don't really need to get this particular guy at this particular point. Pittsburgh liked him and that is my biggest concern.

Saw Ta'amu play in person when he came to Colorado and focused in on him during the game since he was still on Kipers top 25 board at the time.

It could of been the altitude or he just dogs it allot but he was very unimpressive. One play he would bull rush and disrupt... but then dissapear for the entire rest of the drive. Came away thinking 'WTF is Kiper looking at other than a big strong samoan."
Originally posted by nickbradley:
The Steelers did not 'nab' Alameda -- we passed on him multiple times.

alot of teams were scarred off by health concerns with Alameda

that is one thing we draftniks dont get privy too, the mdeicals on these draft picks...how else could a guy like chris polk go undrafted
[ Edited by hofer36 on May 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Ta'amu apparently had a very poor performance at the Senior Bowl or one of the post season All-Star games. He struggled against some of the better All-Star D linemen in practice. I'm sure the Niners did their homework on him (including asking Tomsula what his take was) and finally decided not to invest a pick in him.

They may have thought that Ian Williams is better or has a higher ceiling or at this point, they don't really need to get this particular guy at this particular point. Pittsburgh liked him and that is my biggest concern.

Saw Ta'amu play in person when he came to Colorado and focused in on him during the game since he was still on Kipers top 25 board at the time.

It could of been the altitude or he just dogs it allot but he was very unimpressive. One play he would bull rush and disrupt... but then dissapear for the entire rest of the drive. Came away thinking 'WTF is Kiper looking at other than a big strong samoan."

Yeah, no question Pitts knows what they are doing so when he went to them, I said, "Figures." But, all that said, with all the picks we have next year, I would not be shocked to see us FINALLY draft a Wilfork/Suh-like NT in Rd 1 or 2. Anyone know any studs off hand for 2013? We have had some great one-gappers in Franklin, Sopoaga & RJF but never a two-gapper and one who can collapse the pocket. That, to me, and finding (if we don't already have him) Justin Smith's protege will be paramount!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, no question Pitts knows what they are doing so when he went to them, I said, "Figures." But, all that said, with all the picks we have next year, I would not be shocked to see us FINALLY draft a Wilfork/Suh-like NT in Rd 1 or 2. Anyone know any studs off hand for 2013? We have had some great one-gappers in Franklin, Sopoaga & RJF but never a two-gapper and one who can collapse the pocket. That, to me, and finding (if we don't already have him) Justin Smith's protege will be paramount!

Star Lotulelei
Utah
6-3 325

Jesse Williams
Alabama
6-3 320

Sylvester Williams
North Carolina
6-3 320

Kawann Short
Purdue
6-3 310

Johnathan Jenkins
Georgia
6-3 351

Anthony Rashad White
Michigan State
6-2 316

Anthony McCloud
Florida Stater
6-2 312

your welcome
Star Lotulelei... I smell a gold helmet sticker haha

12/27/11 - Four years ago, Star Lotulelei was out of shape and out of football. Big as a house, he was working at a Salt Lake City furniture store moving merchandise. Now, the mountainous man will be asked to help carry Utah's defense when it faces Georgia Tech's triple-option attack in the Sun Bowl on New Year's Eve. Some thought it might be Lotulelei's last collegiate game, especially after he won the Morris Trophy as the Pac-12's top defensive lineman—voted on by opposing offensive linemen. But Lotulelei, with his grades and weight in check, believes he has room to improve and recently announced plans to return for his senior season before that run at the pros. Considering how far he's come from those furniture store days, who's to argue. "I said going into the season Star was going to be the best defensive lineman in the conference and that's proven to be the case," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "But I still believe there's more upside. Next year, look out. He's going to be even more dominant." He earned a starting job with three games left in Utah's 2010 season. Now, he figures with a wife and family it's more important to get his degree in the fall and build up that pre-draft resume. "The NFL can wait," said Lotulelei, who turned 22 last week. "We're all really proud of him," said prep coach Peck, who has watched Lotulelei's kid brother, Lowell, blossom into another high school star. "(Star) was always a respectful kid and worked hard, yet some kids struggle in the classroom. Even in that area he's totally turned things around. I couldn't be happier for him and his family." - AP Sports

Also Jonathan Hankins from Ohio State, if he comes out next year could be one of the first DT's taken.
[ Edited by 5280High on May 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM ]
Tomsula has these boys whipped into shape and ready for anything (see RJF for McDonald last year). I wanted Alameda as well but of course, the Steelers nabbed him (and DeCastro - perfect fits/needs for their systems as well as ours). I would imagine NEXT year is the year we obtain a 2-gap NT and a RDE to groom and replace Justin Smith down the road.

probably with our first two picks.
I think dobbs makes it, Williams outside looking in
cant wait to see dobbs tear it up in preseason again..dude is straight nasty

Also Jonathan Hankins from Ohio State, if he comes out next year could be one of the first DT's taken.

Thank you jreff22!

OK, I don't know much about either, but what I'm looking for is a WIDE-bodied NT, with a low anchor (shorter), 330-350 (think Ted Washington), can play off blocks and immoveable inside in a two-gap AND has the power and stamina to collapse the pocket. One of those guys who RB's just disappear into and get nothing inside. Just dominant strong. I'm not as concerned with the weight as I am the build. Our own Sopoaga is 320 but he's 320 pounds of height and muscle and could play TE today (oh, wait...never mind ). Width...enough weight...very low center of gravity...can anchor and then MOVE the pile back..good stamina and work ethic...surprisingly athletic for his size and quick burst. Do any of these guys fit the mold for our team/system?
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM ]

Heres the facts:

2011 - Manipulated our roster in order to keep Dobbs, Tukuafu and Williams from getting exposed to other teams

2012 Draft - Completely ignored/did not see value in any players for the DE position, guys were there for the taking like Alemeda & Winn but the club felt comfortable with this position as to not place an inflated grade on DE's during the draft.

That should tell us everything we need to know. The club likes its prospects and will use the offseason for further evaluation. IMO they will keep 2 out of 3 and it will largely be decided by how much they improved from last year, the player that has the most stagnant development will be cut... most likely to keep an extra RB, WR or OLB on the final 53.

Exactly.

The amount of snaps our D-line played last year was very scary. I am excited to see the progress made by Dobbs, Williams and Takuafu. More so for the first two because they were just rookies last year. I
http://www.ninersnation.com/

What 49ers Non-Draft Picks Tell Us About The Roster: Defensive Line

One of the bigger rallying cries heading into last weekend's draft was the belief that the 49ers were going to add a defensive end as they look to groom Justin Smith's eventual successor. It turns out, maybe the team is satisfied with the defensive line currently at their disposal. The team has plenty of opportunities to make changes down the road, but for now it would appear that they are content with their current roster of defensive linemen. They would appear to also see a possible successor to Justin Smith in in their defensive line rotation. That thought might change this coming season, but I can't see any reason that is not their thought process at the moment.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
http://www.ninersnation.com/

What 49ers Non-Draft Picks Tell Us About The Roster: Defensive Line

One of the bigger rallying cries heading into last weekend's draft was the belief that the 49ers were going to add a defensive end as they look to groom Justin Smith's eventual successor. It turns out, maybe the team is satisfied with the defensive line currently at their disposal. The team has plenty of opportunities to make changes down the road, but for now it would appear that they are content with their current roster of defensive linemen. They would appear to also see a possible successor to Justin Smith in in their defensive line rotation. That thought might change this coming season, but I can't see any reason that is not their thought process at the moment.

Thank you jreff22!

OK, I don't know much about either, but what I'm looking for is a WIDE-bodied NT, with a low anchor (shorter), 330-350 (think Ted Washington), can play off blocks and immoveable inside in a two-gap AND has the power and stamina to collapse the pocket. One of those guys who RB's just disappear into and get nothing inside. Just dominant strong. I'm not as concerned with the weight as I am the build. Our own Sopoaga is 320 but he's 320 pounds of height and muscle and could play TE today (oh, wait...never mind ). Width...enough weight...very low center of gravity...can anchor and then MOVE the pile back..good stamina and work ethic...surprisingly athletic for his size and quick burst. Do any of these guys fit the mold for our team/system?

Ice is 6'2, Wilfork is 6'2, Hampton 6'1

None of the guys listed are over 6'4, so all the 6'3 guys probably come in shorter so you get a group of stocky prospects. Lots of potential this year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Williams is a more stout NT than RJF.

How exactly can you make this determination?

I am not saying that you are wrong, but RJF replaced both Sopoaga and McDonald when they were out.
I thought he played well at both NT and DE.

Williams has hardly played in games and we do see the practices.
Share 49ersWebzone