There are 141 users in the forums

Do the 49ers have the *fastest receiving corps in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by PSYKO5:
Originally posted by Joecool:
give me hands

Manningham isn't very consitent in that category which was why Belachick wanted to force Manningham to be the one to make a play for NYG. Good thing Eli didn't care of his inconsistencies and "trusted" him.

LOL backhanded Smith blast. You are a one trick pony right now.

Let's completely ignore the elephant in the room and that's Alex's hesitancy. He must show this year that he won't hesitate and if he does well, we will be blowing teams out.

yeah i feel you on that one.

That is fine, but Joe keeps making the same 2 or 3 points over and over again. It doesn't matter what thread. I think that it was telling that the Front office went after more speed in the draft, and significantly changed the WR corps. I remember you saying that there was no need to upgrade the WR's which has once again been proven incorrect. The reason is that the WR's couldn't get separation. Don't get me wrong, I would like Smith to throw his receivers open a little bit more, but the big problem in the passing game (other than lack of Training camp) was that there was 1 explosive threat on the team. Now there may well be 4 explosive receiving threats, and Crabtree will not seeing the same amount of attention IF Moss pans out, and if Jenkins has something to offer.

It doesn't have anything to do with Smith throwing a bunch of balls up. We have seen him do that in the past. Tips, turnovers, losses. I want him to throw it more because his receivers are getting open more often. Once that starts happening the offense will be a consistent threat.

I said that our WR's starting the 2011 season did not need an upgrade. We lost 2 of those starters so of course we need more no different than the team with the best WR's if they lost their 2 starters at the beginning of the year. As I make the same points about Alex, the same thing has been done about Crabtree even though he's produced under minimum circumstances.

And to say Alex doesn't trust Crabtree is ridiculous since the guy only caught for nearly 900 yards essentially as our only true WR. Alex threw to the guy for 72 receptions and all of a sudden he doesn't have confidence in him? Vernon had trouble with the offense the entire year and rarely if at all ran a timing route with precision yet Alex has full confidence in him.

How do you guys know who has more confidence in who? That's all speculation. Delanie is probably the best route runner on our team yet Alex decided not to throw to him in two critical situations in 2 critical games. Maybe Alex doesn't have as much confidence throwing outside the hash as he does inside the hashes.

Could it be that Alex tightens it up if the game is bigger but loosens it up if there's nothing to lose like a 2-minute drill?
[ Edited by Joecool on May 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM ]
I don't know if we have the fastest, but we are definitely going to have some of the most interesting O sets ever seen. Imagine, 4 wide, and LaMichael in motion. Exactly who on the D is going to cover who? And I darn well expect that set will be seen a lot more than once. As for receievers, I include Delanie and LaMichael, plus frank , Jacobs, hunter...My question isn't are we the fastest, (i think we are), but how in the heck are teams going to defend all the sets that Coach is going to run out there. God help the opponents D.

Here's a bet..ok, guess. Sometime in first game, we are going to have WRs all over the field and we will have la Michael either on a swing pass or maybe a shovel pass, and NO ONE is going to be covering him. My thots for this team are sets not seen before, rolled out one after another. It is hard to believe we are so talented we could draft a #2 as a situational RB/WR. Wow, just wow. The fact they all are jets doesn't hurt either. I guess the point is, we aren''t going to purgatory if Cody Fleener got taken by the Colts. We done way, way better....and faster. Oh ,Oswuso(sp?) definitely makes the team.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I don't know if we have the fastest, but we are definitely going to have some of the most interesting O sets ever seen. Imagine, 4 wide, and LaMichael in motion. Exactly who on the D is going to cover who? And I darn well expect that set will be seen a lot more than once. As for receievers, I include Delanie and LaMichael, plus frank , Jacobs, hunter...My question isn't are we the fastest, (i think we are), but how in the heck are teams going to defend all the sets that Coach is going to run out there. God help the opponents D.

Here's a bet..ok, guess. Sometime in first game, we are going to have WRs all over the field and we will have la Michael either on a swing pass or maybe a shovel pass, and NO ONE is going to be covering him. My thots for this team are sets not seen before, rolled out one after another. It is hard to believe we are so talented we could draft a #2 as a situational RB/WR. Wow, just wow. The fact they all are jets doesn't hurt either. I guess the point is, we aren''t going to purgatory if Cody Fleener got taken by the Colts. We done way, way better....and faster. Oh ,Oswuso(sp?) definitely makes the team.

I can see us do quite a few draws to LMJ out of spread formations and then transition those to screen passes.
I think Crabtree runs between a 4.52-4.59
Dude your basing the speed of our receivers by their 40 times which has nothing to do with it. Everyone is fast until they throw on the pads.. Eagles are the fastest period. They have the 2 best weapons and they're both fast. It's not like we're going to have moss Jenkins Ginn all on at the same time.. We're not that fast.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
If we had Kendall Wright, we would.

didnt he run like a 4.6? lulz
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Eagles bro.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Best post I've read in a while. Thanks.

The Moss/Crabtree/Manningham, VD, James formation is going to be ridiculous.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Eagles bro.

False. Eagles 40 times:

Maclin runs a 4.45 officially.
Jackson, 4.35.
Avant, 4.49.
Cooper 4.53.
Gilyard 4.61 (combine), 4.51 pro day.
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
Dude your basing the speed of our receivers by their 40 times which has nothing to do with it. Everyone is fast until they throw on the pads.. Eagles are the fastest period. They have the 2 best weapons and they're both fast. It's not like we're going to have moss Jenkins Ginn all on at the same time.. We're not that fast.

No. Not everyone is fast until they throw on the pads.

Ginn, Williams, and Jenkins are all lightning fast on tape -- Moss was/is. Crabtree and Manningham are possession WRs

Owusu is fast on tape too.

Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Alex better tighten up that spiral and get the ball downfield. Nothing squanders a receiving corps' vertical threat like an inadequate arm. Not sure how much its improved, but Alex will need to work on this deep ball accuracy as well (maybe not with Moss, since he can mask it with his agility and leaping ability).

It's odd how his deep passes to Vernon are pinpoint accurate. I think what really squandered our vertical passing game was the inadequate speed and route running abilities of our WRs. That's my take though, we'll see how things work out this year now that it's been addressed.

I think Alex not wanting to make the tighter throws with defenders sandwiching played a role in that.

I think the position of the DBs also makes Alex not make the tighter throws to our WRs. Many times I've seen the DB covering crabtree with his hips square to him as he's making his break in the route. With no fear that crabtree might run past him. In that position the DB can easily keep an eye on Crabtree and see the ball coming if it's passed in his direction.

Faster WRs force the DBs to turn their hips quicker, sometimes before the WR has even made a break in his route.

I think you're right with coverage, and I think the reason why there was no fear of Crabtree running past him was also because the DB knew the S was right behind him covering Crabtree also.

I can't wait to watch the offense this year! I'm more excited than I was when we got Norv Turner. Wait, I was more excited last year. So I guess I'm more excited than I was last year, which was more excited than I was when we got Norv Turner!
give me hands

Manningham isn't very consitent in that category which was why Belachick wanted to force Manningham to be the one to make a play for NYG. Good thing Eli didn't care of his inconsistencies and "trusted" him.

LOL backhanded Smith blast. You are a one trick pony right now.

Let's completely ignore the elephant in the room and that's Alex's hesitancy. He must show this year that he won't hesitate and if he does well, we will be blowing teams out.

yeah i feel you on that one.

That is fine, but Joe keeps making the same 2 or 3 points over and over again. It doesn't matter what thread. I think that it was telling that the Front office went after more speed in the draft, and significantly changed the WR corps. I remember you saying that there was no need to upgrade the WR's which has once again been proven incorrect. The reason is that the WR's couldn't get separation. Don't get me wrong, I would like Smith to throw his receivers open a little bit more, but the big problem in the passing game (other than lack of Training camp) was that there was 1 explosive threat on the team. Now there may well be 4 explosive receiving threats, and Crabtree will not seeing the same amount of attention IF Moss pans out, and if Jenkins has something to offer.

It doesn't have anything to do with Smith throwing a bunch of balls up. We have seen him do that in the past. Tips, turnovers, losses. I want him to throw it more because his receivers are getting open more often. Once that starts happening the offense will be a consistent threat.

I said that our WR's starting the 2011 season did not need an upgrade. We lost 2 of those starters so of course we need more no different than the team with the best WR's if they lost their 2 starters at the beginning of the year. As I make the same points about Alex, the same thing has been done about Crabtree even though he's produced under minimum circumstances.

And to say Alex doesn't trust Crabtree is ridiculous since the guy only caught for nearly 900 yards essentially as our only true WR. Alex threw to the guy for 72 receptions and all of a sudden he doesn't have confidence in him? Vernon had trouble with the offense the entire year and rarely if at all ran a timing route with precision yet Alex has full confidence in him.

How do you guys know who has more confidence in who? That's all speculation. Delanie is probably the best route runner on our team yet Alex decided not to throw to him in two critical situations in 2 critical games. Maybe Alex doesn't have as much confidence throwing outside the hash as he does inside the hashes.

Could it be that Alex tightens it up if the game is bigger but loosens it up if there's nothing to lose like a 2-minute drill?

Is it possible that's how the coaches wanted him to play, in order to minimize risks and rebuild his confidence in himself and his receivers? They talked all year about smart football and game management, which is the first thing you teach your Quarterback in the WCO. You lay the foundation and teach them their role in the system the first year, and expand that role the second year to where they aren't thinking about it anymore...
Raiders Eagles Steelers.

But really why does it matter??(Broken record playing)"game speed and 40 speed are two different things"."Jerry Rice ran a 4.6"

Really,whats the next one gon be,"Who's line is the strongest,Who's line benched 225lbs. the most,Who has the most linemen who benched 325 lbs the most"etc???

Lulz
One thing I noticed about Crabtree from last year, is that he has a tendency to slow down from full stride when he turn his head to look for the ball. This might have caused him to be late to the ball and seems to be overthrown by Smith. I'm sure there are times Smith did over thrown him. But then there are times where I'm looking at Crabtree running at full speed, then as soon as he turn his head to look for the the ball, he slowed down slightly. If he could keep his speed when looking for the ball maybe he can get there underneath the ball. Maybe it's his lack of trust in Smith to get the ball there so he's thinking it might be short or he can't run fast when he has his head turned.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
manningham ran a 4.39 at proday
Share 49ersWebzone