LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Considering our additions at W.R. How would you rank Crabs as our W.R?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Considering our additions at W.R. How would you rank Crabs as our W.R?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
The only question mark with Moss IMO will be his motivation and (if any) will it extend beyond one year.
agree. that is why I have said, lets get a good year out of him and then turn things over to our first round kid and whoever else. diva wideouts usually do well on one year deals and i know we just have to take it week by week but right now I would hope to have a great year out of him and then not tempt fate for next year,, besides who is to say we will not win the superbowl and he would retire on top ...... oh and by the way, i do not believe in who is number one,, i think all are equal right now, throw em in a pot and see what happens in 3 months
Originally posted by cciowa:
The only question mark with Moss IMO will be his motivation and (if any) will it extend beyond one year.
agree. that is why I have said, lets get a good year out of him and then turn things over to our first round kid and whoever else. diva wideouts usually do well on one year deals and i know we just have to take it week by week but right now I would hope to have a great year out of him and then not tempt fate for next year,, besides who is to say we will not win the superbowl and he would retire on top ...... oh and by the way, i do not believe in who is number one,, i think all are equal right now, throw em in a pot and see what happens in 3 months

yeah you can't offer moss anything big, long term. he's shown his whole career that you can't make a long term investment in him. good call by the staff giving him no guaranteed $$$.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
yeah you can't offer moss anything big, long term. he's shown his whole career that you can't make a long term investment in him. good call by the staff giving him no guaranteed $$$.
I really hope it does not end for him the way it ended for rice in seattle or was it denver?maybe both. i think moss has more in his tank than jerry did back then. if he does not we will know by the time we play the pre season games
I really hope it does not end for him the way it ended for rice in seattle or was it denver?maybe both. i think moss has more in his tank than jerry did back then. if he does not we will know by the time we play the pre season games

Denver.... He retired (1st time) as a Bronco before they had a chance to cut him. I remember Mike Rumph (of all people) laying him out in pre-season. that's how bad it was..... of course this is after Mike Nolan refused to sign him. in his 1st year........... and then signed Jason McAddley....... and i think Johnny Morton...........

Signed a one day to retire as a niner the following off season at least.
AJ is our best receiver already?

Vernon Davis is our best receiving option. I have my doubts about Moss, but if the winning continues, i think he'll be motivated. i don't know how some of you have Ginn over Williams. Ginn can't even catch the d*amn ball. still ticked about the last game, but Ginn is not better than Williams (***as a WR***)

1. Crabtree.
2. Moss (ONLY BECAUSE HE HASN'T PLAYING IN OVER A YEAR, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?!!?!)
2. Manningham.
4. Jenkins
5. Williams
6. Ginn (a WR that can't catch...... c'mon)

--------cut for final roster----------

7. Swain
8. My Grandma
9. Hastings.
I agree with you about Ginn. He is a WR in-name-only and will be used primarily as a returner. But I doubt we drafted a WR in the 1st to be anything other than our primary WR, certainly no worse than #2, or to complement anyone. A team with holes at WR don't draft a WR in the 1st to be #4 on the depth chart. Situational WR's aren't drafted in the 1st. You draft those guys in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Denver.... He retired (1st time) as a Bronco before they had a chance to cut him. I remember Mike Rumph (of all people) laying him out in pre-season. that's how bad it was..... of course this is after Mike Nolan refused to sign him. in his 1st year........... and then signed Jason McAddley....... and i think Johnny Morton...........

Signed a one day to retire as a niner the following off season at least.
i remember garcia wanted to sign with san fran when nolan came on board but he said no to both.Boy was i wrong about that hire. I loved his dad in the 70's when i was a kid, wow. thank you for bringing me up to snuff
i just do not understand why some think moss can not cut it. rice did it after he left san fran for a couple years and even took the raiders to the super bowl. he has a one year contract, he is hungry to prove people that he can still play the game, reports are he is in great shape.why be so quick to throw him under the bus. i think it is kind of laughable that some people think that undrafted guy who has all the head injuries will beat out moss and crabtree. if he does i will step up and admit it but really, please

Moss was cut by two teams in 2010 and invisible on a third. Then he took a year off football. Sure you can chalk that up to "motivation" whatever that means but I think the more likely possibility is that at 35 he is not the same player.

Nothing would make me happier then him proving me wrong.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
Moss was cut by two teams in 2010 and invisible on a third. Then he took a year off football. Sure you can chalk that up to "motivation" whatever that means but I think the more likely possibility is that at 35 he is not the same player.

Nothing would make me happier then him proving me wrong.
thank you. good points if he can not be motivated for this coach and this team , then he does need to retire but i have a good feeling about him. If i am wrong what the hell... i like the nolan and erickson hires
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
What fans supporting Crabs' #1 spot really have to think about is if the coaching staff and Baalke truly thought that Crabs was the answer going forward as our primary WR they would not have felt the need to sign Manningham, a 35 year old Moss, a concussion prone FA rookie, and definately wouldn't have used our 1st pick on a WR. To be sure Crabs wasn't the whole problem on the offense in 2011. However, if we take a look at his 2011 negatives (lack of work ethic, lack of explosiveness, lack of consistency, inability to get separation and get open, poor route running, apparent playbook laziness, etc.) Crabs really stunted individual drives on the field. And if you look at all the WR's we brought in - either drafted or FA - they all do 2 or more of the things well that Crabs is woeful at. Judging by the draft alone it's clear that JH & Co. really wants to be more explosive on offence, and judging from off-season acquisitions it should be clear that JH & Co. isn't confident at all with Crabs as our primary WR going forward. Given our off-season thus far and the draft I can't see how anyone can come away thinking that Crabs isn't in serious jeopardy of serious depth chart demotion in the least, and in danger of becoming trade bait at worst. Personally, I think it's a near repudiation of Crabs' performance.

1. A. J.
2. Manningham
3. Williams
4. Crabs
5. Owusu or some other FA WR
6. Ginn.

Not convinced Moss will make the final 53. If Crabs can't beat out Williams as the #3 (doubt he would) #4 is his best depth spot. I still think we are going to bring in more FA WR's to compete. If Moss makes the final cut look for Crabs to hit the trade block at some point.

Bold! I like it...and agree.
At worst, #2. I think Crabtree is SEVERELY underrated by some fans. Most see that he is a very, very good receiver on the cusp of really putting up significant numbers.

Crabtree is a dominant blocker, just devastating. He can make the circus catches, he has outstanding open-field moves to pick up RAC, he is strong enough to break tackles (not to mention a heck of a stiff arm), and he is a good route runner.

I think this season if Crabtree plays the whole year, it will become clearly evident that he was hindered simply by circumstances in his first few years. Quite honestly, he had solid years. Our offense may not have been statistically explosive, but he led the team in receiving last year. He's a good receiver and I hope he is able to play all year this year. If he does, I expect 1000+ yards.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
At worst, #2. I think Crabtree is SEVERELY underrated by some fans. Most see that he is a very, very good receiver on the cusp of really putting up significant numbers.

Crabtree is a dominant blocker, just devastating. He can make the circus catches, he has outstanding open-field moves to pick up RAC, he is strong enough to break tackles (not to mention a heck of a stiff arm), and he is a good route runner.

I think this season if Crabtree plays the whole year, it will become clearly evident that he was hindered simply by circumstances in his first few years. Quite honestly, he had solid years. Our offense may not have been statistically explosive, but he led the team in receiving last year. He's a good receiver and I hope he is able to play all year this year. If he does, I expect 1000+ yards.

Agreed! If he is not #1 or #2 by the end of 2012, I could see the HArbaugh regime severing their ties with Crabtree. That being said, he has been as much of a part of a bad system as Alex Smith has the past several years.
Crabs, was only the best receiver on the team last season because Morgan got hurt, he moved up briefly when Morgan left, but now he is #3 at best...and that's a good thing, think of the talent we have now! Crabs better wake up smell the coffee and get his ass to work! He has the talent to be the best guy in this bunch, but...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Agreed! If he is not #1 or #2 by the end of 2012, I could see the HArbaugh regime severing their ties with Crabtree. That being said, he has been as much of a part of a bad system as Alex Smith has the past several years.
yes, the same system whose philosophy was that the quarterback is not the most vital part of the offense some may hate alex to death but you know that explains alot in regards to how far we have come since those days with those idiots. even alex haters must admit he and the entire team were victims of the most inept coaching, esp on offense, the world of the nfl has ever seen
Originally posted by SJniner7:
yes, the same system whose philosophy was that the quarterback is not the most vital part of the offense some may hate alex to death but you know that explains alot in regards to how far we have come since those days with those idiots. even alex haters must admit he and the entire team were victims of the most inept coaching, esp on offense, the world of the nfl has ever seen

Yes, evaluation of all players must be done from last year on, not prior years. The OLine, WRs, QB...even the LBs play better now. Can't wait to see the WRs with an entire off season of practice. Just hope they can avoid injury and that Moss can regain his former ability. Then it's a matter of being in sync with Smith and the offense will be so much more explosive!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
What fans supporting Crabs' #1 spot really have to think about is if the coaching staff and Baalke truly thought that Crabs was the answer going forward as our primary WR they would not have felt the need to sign Manningham, a 35 year old Moss, a concussion prone FA rookie, and definately wouldn't have used our 1st pick on a WR. To be sure Crabs wasn't the whole problem on the offense in 2011. However, if we take a look at his 2011 negatives (lack of work ethic, lack of explosiveness, lack of consistency, inability to get separation and get open, poor route running, apparent playbook laziness, etc.) Crabs really stunted individual drives on the field. And if you look at all the WR's we brought in - either drafted or FA - they all do 2 or more of the things well that Crabs is woeful at. Judging by the draft alone it's clear that JH & Co. really wants to be more explosive on offence, and judging from off-season acquisitions it should be clear that JH & Co. isn't confident at all with Crabs as our primary WR going forward. Given our off-season thus far and the draft I can't see how anyone can come away thinking that Crabs isn't in serious jeopardy of serious depth chart demotion in the least, and in danger of becoming trade bait at worst. Personally, I think it's a near repudiation of Crabs' performance.

1. A. J.
2. Manningham
3. Williams
4. Crabs
5. Owusu or some other FA WR
6. Ginn.

Not convinced Moss will make the final 53. If Crabs can't beat out Williams as the #3 (doubt he would) #4 is his best depth spot. I still think we are going to bring in more FA WR's to compete. If Moss makes the final cut look for Crabs to hit the trade block at some point.

Bold! I like it...and agree.

Thanks
Share 49ersWebzone