LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Considering our additions at W.R. How would you rank Crabs as our W.R?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Considering our additions at W.R. How would you rank Crabs as our W.R?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's a #2 - #3 WR. He's never been a #1 WR. And he's not a #1 WR now. There is no speed or separation ability there. And he doesn't play preseason ever or practice. There is a diva like attitude. How people are getting that he is a #1 I don't know?

i think more people are saying he is a #1 on THIS team, not a #1 talent-wise. I'm a Crabtree fan and I wouldn't even say that, but I'm not denying its possibility. Really want to see him with a full offseason in the same way people wanted to see what Smith could do with continuity, better WR's , etc
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The Future is This IMO.

#1 Jenkins
#2 Manningham
#3 Williams

But to answer the Poll. Crabtree will not be starting.

Williams won't even make the team. There's no way he gets past Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins. Then, Ginn will make the roster as a return man. That's 5 receivers, there's no way they roll with 6 on the active roster even though Harbaugh said he could see it happening. That's coach talk - he doesn't want to let it be known that somebody is going to get the boot before they even start training camp. He provides no value on special teams so he won't take Ginn's spot.

As for Crabtree not starting, he's the best receiver on the roster unless Moss returns to form. The only way he doesn't start is if he's hurt.

Thats like, your opinion man.....

Crabtree wasnt even the best WR on the roster last year before Morgan got hurt. He is not the best WR on the roster now.

Like i said. Williams is going to suprise in camp.

so I'm assuming you believe Morgan was better than Crabtree?

I got you to admit you think Kyle Williams is better, so lets see how far this goes

Absolutely Morgan was, and would have continued to be the beter WR last season had Morgan not gotten hurt....Not sure where your going with this. My opinion on crabtree is largely known on these boards. He can have a good game againt the rams and pad his stats, then completely disapear when it counts. I have no love for the guy TBH. I hope im wrong and he has a great season, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

Williams is hated on purely because of the championship game. If he had not made the bonehead plays, this fan base would be touting him as the slot WR we have been looking for. Like i said, the guy had one less TD than Crabtree in way more limited action. He is gonna suprise and impress.

Well I think it is unfortunate your opinion is so well known around the boards (funny you say that with a degree of pride)..I have no desire to argue about this because it would be a very dull debate...I'll just point out a few things.
-For the third year in a row, Crabtree missed camp and yet still remained a starter. Morgan was the #3 going into 2011. So, your opinion seems at odds with the 49ers coaching staff. Couldn't Morgan at least take the spot of a guy who can't attend camp? One would think so, if he was truly better.
-Statistically, Morgan couldn't hold Crabtree's jockstrap, which sadly doesn't even say much. Why don't you look at the difference in their # of 1st down receptions, it isnt even close. not to mention catches and yards
-Harbaugh always praised Crabtree for his work ethic and overall commitment. Look at his comments on how Crabtree saved Christmas..
-it doesn't mean anything to say Morgan was better than Crabtree in 2011 before he got injured, since Crabtree missed a lot of time early on and started to get back into form only after Morgan went down.

I'll go as far as to say that we might not have gotten to the NFC Championship game if it weren't for Crabtree. Ppl will read that and laugh, since he didn't produce in the playoffs. But the smart ones know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the catch in Seattle. We lose that game without that catch, barring a miracle. Losing that game takes us to the Superdome. We probably lose there. Got the picture?

First, Had Edwards been what he was supposed to be, and Morgan not gotten hurt, Crabtree would have been the #3 last season.

- As far as missing Camp and remaining the starter. That wont happen this year i promise that.

-As far as your last paragraph, Kyle Williams made the crack back block that sprung alex smith on the bootleg....If he all of a suden the reason we went to the championship game? 99% of that comes out of Harbaughs mouth is coach speak. Get used to it. The fact is crabtree was aweful all season long, untell the end of the season where he padded his #'s against NFC west opponents, then he disapeared again against top talent in the playoffs.
He's a #2 - #3 WR. He's never been a #1 WR. And he's not a #1 WR now. There is no speed or separation ability there. And he doesn't play preseason ever or practice. There is a diva like attitude. How people are getting that he is a #1 I don't know?

i think more people are saying he is a #1 on THIS team, not a #1 talent-wise. I'm a Crabtree fan and I wouldn't even say that, but I'm not denying its possibility. Really want to see him with a full offseason in the same way people wanted to see what Smith could do with continuity, better WR's , etc

If Moss has anything left in the tank and "plays when he wants to play" than he is #1 (doubtful on all counts though). If Jenkins is as good as they think he may be a poor mans Mike Wallace. I suspect he can be real good. Manningham is probably a little faster and quicker than Crabtree but not as big and physical. Davis is really the #1 on this team but he is a TE. I think the WR corps is improved. I don't know how much. How much can you count on a rookie and Moss who may not have much left? I think you know what you are getting from Manningham.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
#1. It's not close.
1. Crabs
2. Moss
3. Mario
4. Williams
5. Jenkins (will pass Williams in camp/preseason)
6. Owusu
7. Ginn (returner only)

Owusu and Williams will battle for the last spot. I think we'll keep Kyle and push Owusu to the practice squad. Theyre essentially the same type of player. Any injury in camp could be be deciding factor in this battle.
The Future is This IMO.

#1 Jenkins
#2 Manningham
#3 Williams

Williams won't even make the team. There's no way he gets past Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins. Then, Ginn will make the roster as a return man. That's 5 receivers, there's no way they roll with 6 on the active roster even though Harbaugh said he could see it happening. That's coach talk - he doesn't want to let it be known that somebody is going to get the boot before they even start training camp. He provides no value on special teams so he won't take Ginn's spot.

As for Crabtree not starting, he's the best receiver on the roster unless Moss returns to form. The only way he doesn't start is if he's hurt.

Crabtree wasnt even the best WR on the roster last year before Morgan got hurt. He is not the best WR on the roster now.

I got you to admit you think Kyle Williams is better, so lets see how far this goes

Absolutely Morgan was, and would have continued to be the beter WR last season had Morgan not gotten hurt....Not sure where your going with this. My opinion on crabtree is largely known on these boards. He can have a good game againt the rams and pad his stats, then completely disapear when it counts. I have no love for the guy TBH. I hope im wrong and he has a great season, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

Williams is hated on purely because of the championship game. If he had not made the bonehead plays, this fan base would be touting him as the slot WR we have been looking for. Like i said, the guy had one less TD than Crabtree in way more limited action. He is gonna suprise and impress.

Well I think it is unfortunate your opinion is so well known around the boards (funny you say that with a degree of pride)..I have no desire to argue about this because it would be a very dull debate...I'll just point out a few things.
-For the third year in a row, Crabtree missed camp and yet still remained a starter. Morgan was the #3 going into 2011. So, your opinion seems at odds with the 49ers coaching staff. Couldn't Morgan at least take the spot of a guy who can't attend camp? One would think so, if he was truly better.
-Statistically, Morgan couldn't hold Crabtree's jockstrap, which sadly doesn't even say much. Why don't you look at the difference in their # of 1st down receptions, it isnt even close. not to mention catches and yards
-Harbaugh always praised Crabtree for his work ethic and overall commitment. Look at his comments on how Crabtree saved Christmas..
-it doesn't mean anything to say Morgan was better than Crabtree in 2011 before he got injured, since Crabtree missed a lot of time early on and started to get back into form only after Morgan went down.

I'll go as far as to say that we might not have gotten to the NFC Championship game if it weren't for Crabtree. Ppl will read that and laugh, since he didn't produce in the playoffs. But the smart ones know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the catch in Seattle. We lose that game without that catch, barring a miracle. Losing that game takes us to the Superdome. We probably lose there. Got the picture?

First, Had Edwards been what he was supposed to be, and Morgan not gotten hurt, Crabtree would have been the #3 last season.

- As far as missing Camp and remaining the starter. That wont happen this year i promise that.

-As far as your last paragraph, Kyle Williams made the crack back block that sprung alex smith on the bootleg....If he all of a suden the reason we went to the championship game? 99% of that comes out of Harbaughs mouth is coach speak. Get used to it. The fact is crabtree was aweful all season long, untell the end of the season where he padded his #'s against NFC west opponents, then he disapeared again against top talent in the playoffs.

So if Edwards was legit and Morgan wasn't hurt, Crabs woulda been #3...excuse me if i missed something, but what evidence do you have for this? Is it just your opinion? that was a rhetorical question, obviously it's your opinion (that everyyyybody knows well around here, ya i gotcha)

call it coach speak if you'd like; you are sort of obligated to feel that way since Harbaugh's comments at face value severely undermine your position (i'm reluctant to even call it that, since you are apparently incapable of forming an argument to justify your opinion). Go back and watch the game, and then ask yourself how likely we would have won had he not caught that. It would have been 3rd and 17 with an incomplete pass. But go ahead and proceed with biased judgment. Either way, most fans disagree with you, so not all is wrong in the world. Crabtree was solid last year but not great, and most people are willing to see what he can do this year with the expectation that he will be in camp.

A very reasonable position, if you aren't a Crabtree fan, is to suspend judgment for one more year.

And about the Williams block...haha man, you seem to misunderstand a very simple point. Our victory in Seattle gave us a first round bye and home field advantage. Not too likely we would have beat the Saints in Superdome, though not impossible. But they were scoring 40+ at home. Anyways, I'm not literally saying that Crabtree, in and of himself, was the reason we played in the NFCCG. But he did have a significant role in the shaping the course of events leading to that. And one should take that for what it's worth, honor every fact.
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Apr 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM ]
Micheal Crabtree is still a good WR and not bad I will have him as #2 Wr in a. 1, 2, and slot receiver formation.
1.crabtree
2. mario
3. Aj jenkins(slot)
4. moss
4 kyle williams

in RZ
1. moss
2. mario
3 crabs (slot)

i think normally though moss will ocasionally switch out with crabs and mario as the outside WR

from what i heard jenkins can play outside WR as well but imo for now at least hes best suited in slot
The Future is This IMO.

#1 Jenkins
#2 Manningham
#3 Williams

So if Edwards was legit and Morgan wasn't hurt, Crabs woulda been #3...excuse me if i missed something, but what evidence do you have for this? Is it just your opinion? that was a rhetorical question, obviously it's your opinion (that everyyyybody knows well around here, ya i gotcha)

call it coach speak if you'd like; you are sort of obligated to feel that way since Harbaugh's comments at face value severely undermine your position (i'm reluctant to even call it that, since you are apparently incapable of forming an argument to justify your opinion). Go back and watch the game, and then ask yourself how likely we would have won had he not caught that. It would have been 3rd and 17 with an incomplete pass. But go ahead and proceed with biased judgment. Either way, most fans disagree with you, so not all is wrong in the world. Crabtree was solid last year but not great, and most people are willing to see what he can do this year with the expectation that he will be in camp.

A very reasonable position, if you aren't a Crabtree fan, is to suspend judgment for one more year.

And about the Williams block...haha man, you seem to misunderstand a very simple point. Our victory in Seattle gave us a first round bye and home field advantage. Not too likely we would have beat the Saints in Superdome, though not impossible. But they were scoring 40+ at home. Anyways, I'm not literally saying that Crabtree, in and of himself, was the reason we played in the NFCCG. But he did have a significant role in the shaping the course of events leading to that. And one should take that for what it's worth, honor every fact.

Prove that he wouldnt have been #3? The fact is Edwards and Morgan were the starters week 1. Morgan was having a great season up until the point that he got hurt. Edwards was a flop. Your opinion that he was #1 is just as much assumption as mine, except well, he actually was #3 week one so....

You constantly say that everything i state is opinion and cant argue with proof, while attacking my character as a fan at the same time, yet then you come in and do the same thing. And actually i have presented several facts pointing to his regression last season.

we will have to agree to disagree.
Crabtree is still the #1 guy, anyone who says otherwise is smoking crack. Crabtree has basically been a 1000 yd a season receiver if you set aside injuries and crappy QB play. He's not a guy like Fitzgerald or Megatron but he's still the most complete receiver on this roster. Crabtree could be a good #2 for virtually every team in the league and could be in the #1 role for several teams such as the Chargers. Its nice to have a great dominant #1 WR but those guys are far and few between and a lot of teams succeed with essentially two good #2 WR's and that's actually what the 49ers could have with Crabtree and Jenkins, not sure why people are trying to dump the guy.

I see him as the #1, with Moss #2, Manningham #3 and hopefully Jenkins #4.

Long-term I'd like to see Crabtree #1, Jenkins #2, Manningham#3 and Kyle Williams #4.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM ]

Originally posted by okdkid:
#1. It's not close.

this
#1. A. J.
#2. Manningham
#3. Crabs
#4. Williams
#5. Owusu or some other WR FA
#6. Ginn

We are fooling ourselves if we think we draft a WR in the 1st to be anything other than our primary WR. Among the reports on A. J. is that he's a very hard worker, something JH demands in all his players, and something Crabs will never be. Right now Crabs has survived on draft choice and contract. But it should be clear by now that JH won't play this guy if he won't work hard and produce. By the way, I don't see Moss making the final 53.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
With Crabs being our #1 all these years because of no legible other WR threats existed, I say this year he's going to have to earn it. He has no excuses this year because the niners just acquired 3 players (Moss, Manningham, Jenkins) who will be able to take some coverage off him. Now if he doesn't post productive numbers this year...will people still blame Alex?

He is OUR #1 (unless Moss is the old Moss again) because we have nobody else. See how that works?
Share 49ersWebzone