There are 179 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Hunter isn't going anyplace. Hunter isn't a change of pace fast bak like James is. In 2 years these two will be our guys and they will compliment one another very well like Carolinas system

Last year everyone said hunter was the change of pace guy, but I've always been one to say he can actually be an every down type of back if we need him to be. Because he's a shorter running back his frame can actually take hits. Don't see why he can't be a ray rice or MJD type of back. It's also interesting to see Ray Rice had nearly the same stats as Hunter in their rookie years(except hunter had 2 tds, Rice had 0).

James is being compared to a sproles type of back, others say he could be more of an every down home-run hitter like CJ2k. Who knows.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Every RB we pick is 5'6" - 5'8" and well under 200 lbs. What the hell?... I thought Lamar Miller would have been better here. What are we going to do with all these tiny RB's? Where is the workhorse for the future?

Forget the workhorse. The NFL has become a passing league. In a few years when Harbaugh gets the team set we will be mostly a passing team. Count on it.
this is amazing.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
If you don't think he's fast just watch his tape. The amount of break away runs when there was NO ONE else in sight was incredible over his 3-year career at Oregon.

I was so f**king spolied getting to watch him play for my football team for 3 years.

And he's the nicest/most humble dude I've ever met. Takes pics with everyone on campus.

Class f**king act.

Agreed.

I watched him carve up my pretty good Stanford defense with regularity.
speed kills and we have speed all over the roster! CHAMPIONSHIP!
i really wanted james, i'm stoked
I love it!!!
Originally posted by Chaserton650:
He will replace Gore in a couple yr. Similar size and running style but faster with a fresh body. I think the question is, how can we NOT utilize his abilities? Especially when Gore reaches the end of his career.

He will replace Gore in a couple yr. Similar size and running style but faster with a fresh body. I think the question is, how can we NOT utilize his abilities? Especially when Gore reaches the end of his career.

Ugh....not even close

Ugh....not even close
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Niner3030:
Originally posted by matt49er:
I think the 49ers plan at RB is this:

Gore-starter/"work horse"
Hunter-change of pace-future starter (to split carries with James)
James-home run threat, James is also a nice receiver
Jacobs-power back

this spells doom to Dixon for sure and most likely Rock Cartwright.

I also think with the selection of Jenkins in round 1 and James in round 2. Ted Ginn Jr might be in trouble. Both Jenkins and James can return kicks and we now have 3 small WRs. Ginn may have 2 prove it at WR to make the roster, though I think he ultimately sticks.

Dixon is gone. Cartwright is a Special Teams guy, basically brought in to replace Costanzo.

Kyle Williams is gone. Ginn is a better and more experienced return guy than anyone we have.

I think we keep 6 backs, and all active on gamedays, Gore, Miller, James, Hunter, Jacobs and Cartwright.
Really six? that's a lot of RBs! we only kept 4 last year, what position do we cut from then? doesn't look like it's possible at WR with Moss, Manningham, Crabs, Ginn, Jenkins.

Well we kept 5(Gore, Hunter, Dixon, Norris and Miller), so it isn't a big difference. We kept Costanzo, who didn't play defense, so no reason we can't keep Cartwright, who would play ST only.

Guys I see on 53 man are

QB- Alex Smith, Josh Johnson and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham and A.J. Jenkins
TE- Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker
C- Jonathan Goodwin
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone
DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Will Tukuafu
NT- Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith and Parys Haralson
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman and Colin Jones
ST- David Akers, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings and Rock Cartwright

Obviously the ones on here who are question marks are Moss and Jacobs.

If we dont draft any DL, add Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams to the roster, also CB if none are added, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock are likely on the roster. I can see us not having a 3rd TE, and using a Tackle more on the usual 3 TE plays.

Don't forget Brett Swain !!!!

Schefter reported James will be used as a 3rd down back

I guess the staff didnt believe in hunter
So this guy is gonna be our version of Darren Sproles or what?
We're on our way to having one of the fastest offenses in the NFL, one that on paper, it doesn't seem that NFC West is equipped to defend at the moment. Paired with a nasty hard hitting defense and a strong special teams, I'm looking forward to what it will look like when we take the field this fall. It's also going to be interesting watching this team inside of the dome at New Orleans next season and in other stadiums with a fast track. I don't think we've ever had so much speed on offense.

I also don't see why so many people assume Gore is essentially done. He's probably going to have more running room than he's ever had at any point in his career. Less carries (no need for him to carry 20+ per game when we have Hunter AND Jacobs), less hits, less focus from defenses to me means he'll have more room to run and should get more productivity out of those runs. LT has been on the decline for years, yet still was able to get a productive season (2010) in NY. Frank Gore isn't even at the point that Tomlison was at in 2008. It would be nice to get a look at him where defenses have to respect the entire passing game and not simpy one player (Vernon Davis) for fear of getting burned for 20+ yards or a TD.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Schefter reported James will be used as a 3rd down back

I guess the staff didnt believe in hunter

Hunter is gonna take half of Fire's carries.
Originally posted by 16to87:
speed kills and we have speed all over the roster! CHAMPIONSHIP!

I don't know, man. We also got very small on offense.
Share 49ersWebzone