LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 153 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rascal:
Are you suggesting he is Beast Mode-like ? LMAO.

He is 19th in PR average and ranked 23rd when it comes to KR average, so your 54th rank which is based on total yards (in his 4 attempts ) is slightly skewed, wouldn't you say?
[ Edited by Sims84 on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:50 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:
absolutely not and he doesn't need to be but he is far more "able" than what you are saying.....

Nar, not to me he is not. He lacks power in his rush. I don't even have to compare him to the top RBs out there, just look at Kendall, he has far more power.
Nar, not to me he is not. He lacks power in his rush. I don't even have to compare him to the top RBs out there, just look at Kendall, he has far more power.

You're grasping at straws...how well has Kendall Hunter and his "power" looked of late? That's what I thought.... LMJ looked pretty solid for us last year down the stretch averaging 4.6 YPC during the regular season and 5.9 with 1 TD in limited touches in the playoffs...

I like Hunter but to mention him and his 3.9 yards per carry (even with his 84 yards and 9.3 yards per carry vs sorry a** Jacksonville) is probably not the best at this point in your argument....
[ Edited by Sims84 on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:03 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:
He is 19th in PR average and ranked 23rd when it comes to KR average, so your 54th rank which is based on total yards (in his 4 attempts ) is slightly skewed, wouldn't you say?

Fair enough, but I don't really need the numbers, I can just pull a few highlight clips from YouTube and compare him to a few young backs. Nar, he is not my type of back nor returner for that matter. He is not one of those backs that you need to account for or scout on.
Fair enough, but I don't really need the numbers, I can just pull a few highlight clips from YouTube and compare him to a few young backs. Nar, he is not my type of back nor returner for that matter. He is not one of those backs that you need to account for or scout on.

We can agree to disagree as he does have a 40 yard PR in limited attempts this year while there are PLENTY of other returners who have way more attempts and still couldn't get a 40 yard return. LMJ has sparked our PR game but hasn't had any chances at the KR game but he was huge last year in NE with that massive return to set up the Crabtree TD...you remember that?
from maiocco blog he just posted a few mins ago....

--Running LaMichael James got zero playing time on offense against the Rams. Why? I think it's because of the 49ers' offense line. Let me explain: The 49ers have built a physical offensive line that is at its best when using brute force to create holes between the tackles. The 49ers are not a finesse offensive line, by any means. Sweeps and screens are finesse-type of plays. After watching the New Orleans Saints, it's obvious that their offensive line is very good at blocking for screens. The 49ers' offensive line does a lot of things very well. However, when it comes to blocking for screens, they're . . . uh . . . well . . . not good. So, yes, James might be best-suited for those kinds of plays, but the 49ers' offensive line is much better blocking for the inside running of Frank Gore.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Dec 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by crabman82:

--Running LaMichael James got zero playing time on offense against the Rams. Why? I think it's because of the 49ers' offense line. Let me explain: The 49ers have built a physical offensive line that is at its best when using brute force to create holes between the tackles. The 49ers are not a finesse offensive line, by any means. Sweeps and screens are finesse-type of plays. After watching the New Orleans Saints, it's obvious that their offensive line is very good at blocking for screens. The 49ers' offensive line does a lot of things very well. However, when it comes to blocking for screens, they're . . . uh . . . well . . . not good. So, yes, James might be best-suited for those kinds of plays, but the 49ers' offensive line is much better blocking for the inside running of Frank Gore.

didn't baalke know this before he drafted him in the 2nd round.

Funny thing is I have called for more screens butI have seen the 49ers unsuccessfully attempt a screen one time or another. I can't remember the game, but I believe the play got blown up before Kaep even got the ball to the running back.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Funny thing is I have called for more screens butI have seen the 49ers unsuccessfully attempt a screen one time or another. I can't remember the game, but I believe the play got blown up before Kaep even got the ball to the running back.

only screen pass i remember that worked was in stl when kendall hunter got about 10 yards up the middle
Would be nice to see the coaching staff utilize him this game. He can be a great mismatch against the seahawks... Lets see if the 9ers can actually get him involved...

• Antix
  • Veteran
Why did we draft him again then?
Originally posted by susweel:

didn't baalke know this before he drafted him in the 2nd round.

I was wondering too why we don't run any screens. Now I know haha
i call bs, we pull our OL out into space with success........there's no way they aren't equipped to run screens
and the Sproles comparisons coming in 3.......2.......1..!!!
Originally posted by iLL49er:
i call bs, we pull our OL out into space with success........there's no way they aren't equipped to run screens

Yeah, that straight-ahead power run game has been working so well the past few games, hasn't it? I like Maiocco and think he's spot-on most of the time, but to just in effect say "they can't do it" is a huge over-simplification. As you say, the guards and even tackles do a lot of pulling, and do it well.

Here's a crazy thought: Maybe they suck at screens because they don't practice them much and rarely try them in a game? Attempting one screen that gets blown up and then abandoning it doesn't scream "the OL doesn't know how" to me. Yet HaRo has no qualms slamming Gore into the middle for 2 yards ad-nauseum.

This disjointed, herky-jerky offense that takes two steps forward ("big" play for 1st down) and one step back (timeout, TFL, stupid play call, penalty) nearly every possession just ain't gonna cut it vs the big boys. I keep faint hope alive that HaRo will actually put playmakers like LMJ in a position to do what they do best and succeed, but it's fading fast.
Share 49ersWebzone